• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion SHORTS - Now that Shorts Have Been Out for a While...?

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
I wanted to know what each of you think about Shorts on Youtube.

1. Have they helped you? How?
2. Have you seen an increase in subscribers by using Shorts?
3. Do you think they make your channel look less... professional?

I created a separate channel for shorts, I didn't like how they looked on my main channel.

4. Has anyone else made a separate channel for shorts?

I am curious to know, I want to know how/if I should approach shorts in the future.

- Avocado

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I take a long view of Shorts. YT is actively working through the MANY issues and complaints. They are doing lots of testing. YT is constantly tweaking the website and the mobile app. They also tweak the TV viewing experience. So, regarding the appearance, I view my library of videos from desktop, mobile, and TV.

My personal bias is desktop PC. However, the stats show that Mobile & TV are the high growth areas. No matter my personal preference I am mindful of my potential viewers. Insofar as the appearance of the Shorts, it is not as elegant and symmetric as long-form video but it isn't a showstopper for me. I am glad I have a few Shorts as samplers for people who want to do a quick check vs. kicking the tires on a longer video and then abandoning it.

I will make Shorts when the occasion presents themselves. For me, what is most bothersome is that I cannot directly monetize Shorts via Adsense despite ads showing up prior to playing the videos.

The Shorts I make automatically get repurposed and uploaded to TikTok & Instagram. For me, if it wasn't for Shorts, I would not have a TT or IG presence as I do now. I won't go out of my way to make content simply for TT or IG. If I want some additional content for those outposts, I will create a new Short then repurpose to get maximum benefit for my work.

My biggest problem is time. I always have to choose how and where I place my time. Shorts gives me a way to keep my subscribers engaged when I need a long-form break. I actually need to do a better job on Posts which is even "shorter" than Shorts to keep in touch with subscribers.

Many big Youtubers have chosen to do a separate Shorts Channel. But it is all I can do to keep up with one until I get some relief. I still dream of a day where I can find a suitable video editor. So, for me, I am not going to start a separate channel just for Shorts. Shorts will be part of my overall library for better or for worse.

Of course, this can all change depending on the decisions YT makes in the next 12 months.

Wilson IS

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
No momento de tudo que eu vi principalmente porque o youtube não resolveu muitos problemas como nosso amigo MattCommand1 disse e por exemplo sobre recomendações do youtube
Assista esse video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv4bgw9iuqw&list=PLpzjxyndddwJaziAKwg43eZe0_zOIeMHe

Acho que o jeito no momento é ter dois canais separados um só para shorts.
Acredito que o público que gosta de curtas vê um vídeo longo, mas quando tem um interesse específico, porque acho que o principal interesse deles são os curtas.
Por exemplo, eu gosto de vídeos longos, então raramente vejo shorts.

LeylaMango

TubeBuddy User
calicovillage.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
1: They have helped me. My best performing video (which got 300 or so views) was a short. And, they're fun to make and good practice for full length videos.
2: Yes, when my short blew up (see above) I got 4 subscribers (and I have 30).
3: Only if there are too many compared to the full length videos.
4: No, I have enough of a time managing one channel.

Wilson IS

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
1: They have helped me. My best performing video (which got 300 or so views) was a short. And, they're fun to make and good practice for full length videos.

nice
keep what's working if it's okay for you to mix shorts with long videos
but mainly do what you like and it gives you pleasure to do!

Reactions: LeylaMango

ddhamilt7

Subscriber Goal

Congrats on the new subscribers! Question...did you put a call to action to subscribe in the video, or in the first comment below, etc?