• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review What can I do to improve the video overall?

Sir Palepaw

User name: Sir Palepaw
Title of thread: What can I do to improve the video overall?
Self review: Audience retention (and engagement with likes and comments) is something I care about more than the view count, since it tells me how engaging my video was and if I did a good job making it, which is especially important since most of my work goes into making the highest quality videos I possibly can! Though if I am going to be honest about my work here, I definitely think the lack of retention may be because of my video's slow and lackluster start. I definitely could've used a better opener for the video and the scene with folded Princess Peach could've been shortened to help with pacing, but I'd also like to get some more opinions on my work since seeing things from other perspectives and learning what other people think will definitely prove to be a big help. I also would like some criticism on other aspects of the video as well, such as the thumbnail of the video, audio quality, seo, etc. While I am mainly focused on retention, I think any and all help I can get in terms of my video's performance will be very much appreciated! And yes, I do know I should try and post more videos, but don't worry because I am in fact working on that as we speak. I can't entirely guarantee that my pace will pick up quickly since that's something only time will tell, and I've only recently gained more confidence in what I make, but I am doing what I can to make my channel as successful and efficient as it can possibly be. I'm not sure what else I should say here, truth be told, so I will say thank you to anyone taking the time out of their day to read this, and that hopefully I will be able to implement what I may learn from the reviews here soon.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8C469DmSF4&t=2s

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/50737/

Wilson IS

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
What I can tell you as a viewer is that your video needs more cuts. Try to shorten the time between one action and another, for example, between the beginning of the video and the hammering it's 10 seconds and between the last dialog and the hammering it's 4 seconds, I thought it was too long.
The purpose of the video for me that I'm watching for the first time was not very clear, I think you were going to make a video about the other game of the hunter and the feline and not mario. is it part of a series? but which series? A lot of the dialogue is the characters' own dialogue, so you're pretty much reading what the character says (sorry to be blunt, it's not personal)
at 1:07 there's a lot of text in the video, honestly as a viewer I don't want to read so much in a video you know?

Maybe if you set up a plot before recording. I don't know if you've seen any video from mat's games theory channel. I'm not telling you to do the same but I believe you can have a lot of inspiration there.

Success!

Reactions: Sir Palepaw
OP
OP
Sir Palepaw

Sir Palepaw

What I can tell you as a viewer is that your video needs more cuts. Try to shorten the time between one action and another, for example, between the beginning of the video and the hammering it's 10 seconds and between the last dialog and the hammering it's 4 seconds, I thought it was too long.
The purpose of the video for me that I'm watching for the first time was not very clear, I think you were going to make a video about the other game of the hunter and the feline and not mario. is it part of a series? but which series? A lot of the dialogue is the characters' own dialogue, so you're pretty much reading what the character says (sorry to be blunt, it's not personal)
at 1:07 there's a lot of text in the video, honestly as a viewer I don't want to read so much in a video you know?

Maybe if you set up a plot before recording. I don't know if you've seen any video from mat's games theory channel. I'm not telling you to do the same but I believe you can have a lot of inspiration there.

Success!
Heya! IΓÇÖll be honest, I was worried at first at the amount of criticism youΓÇÖve given me, but after taking a look back at my own video I understood what you were talking about. I imagine you must have turned away from the video after the first minute or so since it wasnΓÇÖt grabbing your attention, which I canΓÇÖt blame you for since the start was definitely a terribly executed one. There are much better instances I couldΓÇÖve chosen to start the video with, I shouldnΓÇÖt have advertised something that wasnΓÇÖt even ready yet, and I definitely shouldnΓÇÖt have lingered on some of the shots that I did, especially the scene of folded peach which dragged on for longer than it shouldΓÇÖve. I do think some of your issues are addressed later in the video, but if the beginning of the video is this boring and uneventful, then I definitely think thatΓÇÖs something I should be putting more work into. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to review my content! And hopefully next time IΓÇÖll get it done better. I donΓÇÖt imagine I can actually reupload my video after fixing it with some edits though lol.

Reactions: Wilson IS

Wilson IS

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
thanks for understanding. I've read and seen quite a bit on the subject of timing and what everyone says is that the first 15 seconds are crucial for the viewer to continue watching the video or not. Your initial idea was great I just thought the scene took a while. There is also another problem that in these 15 seconds and at most in 30 seconds your keywords that are in the title must appear. It's not easy LoL

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man I do enjoy your style. You have a great sense of humor and you really injected some life into this. You tell a story that many have seen before but in a very unique way. Don't stop doing what you are doing... in fact I would suggest leaning heavily into your personality. Your jokes and editing style are what makes it special. YouTube may have a little harder time figuring you out, especially if you are covering multiple different games. But you are going to get discovered making content like this.
Keep perfecting your craft; you do a really good job at keeping the viewer entertained. You are skilled in your editing etc, but there are some very minor little things that you'll need to refine over time. I would suspect that adding some music to keep interest across the more drawn out scenes would help. And as much as a pain as it may be I would advise having the words you are saying pop up on the screen (in a similar fashion to how Mr. Beast edits in his own captions). Anything you can do to keep the viewer interested and engaging is going to pay dividends.

Reactions: Sir Palepaw

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
fwiw... Just browsing it as if I'm on regular YT.....I gave up after a few seconds or so, I couldn't tell what it was supposed to be about so I felt no immediate sense of interest or curiosity.

OP
OP
Sir Palepaw

Sir Palepaw

fwiw... Just browsing it as if I'm on regular YT.....I gave up after a few seconds or so, I couldn't tell what it was supposed to be about so I felt no immediate sense of interest or curiosity.
yeah, I don't blame you for that. I shouldn't have promoted something at the beginning that wasn't related to the video itself in such a conflicting way.

Reactions: MediaMan