• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Chapters

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Silly question

I have to commit to the chapter titles [in the editing phase]

When I then do the chapters [on YouTube] - can I use brackets.

I can't see anywhere that says you can use punctuation or anywhere that says you can't. I guess certain punctuation may confuse the system... like ":" as it's part of the timecodes.

So if I did this:

0:00 Intro
1:10 The First Lie (and a story about a fish)
2:00 The Second Lie
3:47 The Last Lie (and a great dog grooming tip)
5:55 Outro

Would that work. I mean with the brackets.

As I said - silly question. I just wanted to be sure before I create the video and then have to reedit it late if I can't use brackets... Because my OCD brain wants the in video chapters/and on YouTube chapters to be the same.

Oh and that isn't a real timecode listing... though it does sound like a video I might watch... hmm

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
To my understanding as along as your have it like 00:00 Intro etc you'll get chapters.
This article will help as well:

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Thanks - yes I know how to create chapters [hence my example]

I said it was a silly question - as it I haven't seen anywhere saying you can't use brackets... I just haven't seen anyone who has... and as I said above... it would seem unlikely using ':' would work ... but again as I can't see any warning i will presume you can use them... thanks

DeadZombieGaming

deadzombiegaming.webador.com
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm going to start out with this IΓÇÖve seen YouTubers with chapters with less than 100 subs. I want chapters and I donΓÇÖt have any and IΓÇÖve been at 100 subs before. Does anyone know why YouTube is doing this and I canΓÇÖt have chapters.

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm going to start out with this IΓÇÖve seen YouTubers with chapters with less than 100 subs. I want chapters and I donΓÇÖt have any and IΓÇÖve been at 100 subs before. Does anyone know why YouTube is doing this and I canΓÇÖt have chapters.

You can use chapters under 100subs and the only thing to remember it has to be at least 10seconds between each chapter and this link should help in regards to this

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
The extra zeros may be confusing it? Try changing the 00:00:00 to just 00:00 Not sure if makes a difference, but worth a shot...

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You can use chapters under 100subs and the only thing to remember it has to be at least 10seconds between each chapter and this link should help in regards to this

Unofficially speaking, YT does allow video chapters less than 10 seconds because I have chapters less than 10 seconds in some of my videos. It wasn't intentional. It is just the way it worked out as I was trying to manually find natural break points and dividers in my own content. Chapters under 10 seconds functionally work when you click the timestamp (I always verify by clicking on them to make sure my chapters go to where they are supposed to) but I couldn't say if YT penalizes me for having a few chapters less than 10 seconds.

DeadZombieGaming

Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖve already tried that but thanks for the help

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal

Do you have any restrictions such as copyright claims or copyright strikes? I had this issue back then when I wasn't able to use the chapters because I had more than two-three copyright Id claims for the music, which I had to edit or mute and post, It started working just fine.

DeadZombieGaming

Subscriber Goal
Do you have any restrictions such as copyright claims or copyright strikes? I had this issue back then when I wasn't able to use the chapters because I had more than two-three copyright Id claims for the music, which I had to edit or mute and post, It started working just fine.
No and IΓÇÖve checked my timestamps and YouTube help for answers. IΓÇÖve even tried YouTube feedback and they never get back with me

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
No and IΓÇÖve checked my timestamps and YouTube help for answers. IΓÇÖve even tried YouTube feedback and they never get back with me

In that case, I'd suggest you contact Team YouTube on Twitter, tweet them about the issue you're facing in regards to your chapters and they will get back to you there, they're quite active there than any other YouTube support platform.

TCC learncanva4yt

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Definitely contact YouTube if they aren't showing up as chapters with the example you showed above.

I always use 00:00 to start (or even 0:00 works). Then I make sure there at least 10 seconds between each time code.