• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Best Explanation of YouTube Shorts!

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Here is an article that I think does a great job explaining YouTube Shorts. Here are the key take aways from this article.

1. Shorts are just a copycat of TikTok.
2. Shorts (true Shorts) do not make any or much Adsense revenue.
3. Only top-performing Shorts make any money from the YouTube Shorts fund.
4. Earning money for YouTube Shorts is hit and miss and not a reliable thing you can count on.
5. Even top Shorts creators with millions of views make a tiny smidgen of what long-form content with the same amount of views would be making.

What this article does not say.
1. Shorts are short-lived and only get views while they are on the Shorts Shelf.
2. Shorts compete against other shorts on the Shorts Shelf only stay there if they are outperforming other top Shorts.
3. The smidgen of money Shorts creators are making comes from the Short Fund, which is limited and when it runs out, they will make nothing after that.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
No question there are still many troublesome issues with YT Shorts. However, with all its flaws, short-form content and verticals are here to stay. No question creators have to make important decisions with their time and resources and how to monetize with the tools we are given.

However, I think YT Shorts is going to change and evolve in positive ways. I am encouraged by some of the recent moves and announcements. YT Creator Studio has changed to help creators sort out what's going on for people who have mixed content which has been very helpful to me to collect my own data.

YT Shorts is still in the quagmire of sorting things out. But I like the surprise I got that Shorts do appear on Browse and YT searches. I also like that when I produce one YT short, I am able to also buildout TikTok and IG Reels. I am a big believer in having other video outposts "just in case". I already like the early results that I have brought in people into my sphere by virtue of having my shorts on IG and TikTok without having to resort to the goofy, nonsensical, gimmicky, juvenile content that is so pervasive right now.

I am starting to evolve my thinking on Shorts. I see some opportunities for me (I can't speak for anyone else). I am eager to hear more developments from YT as we head towards the end of 2022.

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
No question there are still many troublesome issues with YT Shorts. However, with all its flaws, short-form content and verticals are here to stay. No question creators have to make important decisions with their time and resources and how to monetize with the tools we are given.

However, I think YT Shorts is going to change and evolve in positive ways. I am encouraged by some of the recent moves and announcements. YT Creator Studio has changed to help creators sort out what's going on for people who have mixed content which has been very helpful to me to collect my own data.

YT Shorts is still in the quagmire of sorting things out. But I like the surprise I got that Shorts do appear on Browse and YT searches. I also like that when I produce one YT short, I am able to also buildout TikTok and IG Reels. I am a big believer in having other video outposts "just in case". I already like the early results that I have brought in people into my sphere by virtue of having my shorts on IG and TikTok without having to resort to the goofy, nonsensical, gimmicky, juvenile content that is so pervasive right now.

I am starting to evolve my thinking on Shorts. I see some opportunities for me (I can't speak for anyone else). I am eager to hear more developments from YT as we head towards the end of 2022.

I agree. I just want to get the truth out there to dispel the "Hype". There is a lot of hype around Shorts that is misleading and deceptive. I hate that kind of marketing. What I have put out here is the simple factual truth. It is neither positive nor negative, it is just the truth. If a person can find a way to make Shorts for them, great! More power to them. But the truth is, at this point Shorts are pretty much nothing more than a waste of time for the overwhelmingly large majority of creators. The more this message gets out and people stop promoting the YT hype behind Shorts, the quicker YT figures out to make it worth creator's time. As long as YT can get away with using hype to fool people, they have very little reason to really put the effort into making them worth our time. YouTube is lazy when it comes to getting things done, but when they have the right kind of encouragement they can get their butt in gear. The Adpocolips showed that they can do more faster when they are encouraged to do so.

As I have said all along. If YT wants me to care about Shorts, all they have to do is, "Show me the money". This means; "Make it more worth my time to make Shorts than to make long-form content". All I have seen from YT up to this point is hollow meaningless hype. Like a cheezy salesman trying to convince creators that a junky car is a Lamborghini. Hype does not fool me. I once worked in sales and I know all the tricks of that trade. Nothing gets on my bad side more than when I see big companies trying to take advantage of little people by using their ignorance to manipulate them using hollow hype.

There is nothing wrong with YouTube wanting to promote Shorts and wanting creators to take an interest in them. What is wrong is trying to deceive creators that they are something amazing for them when the truth is, for the overwhelming majority of creators who are looking to earn money from their hard work and talent, they are complete waste of time.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
The worst thing about shorts: It feeds the idea that there is some kind of short cut to fame, glory and money. I speculate that even the name Shorts is often inferred to mean a quick way to success in the minds of most beginner creators. Now, for me it's a waste of time. Others more imaginative than me may have figured a way to make Shorts work, but I can't see the monetary benefit long term.

However most everything on YouTube is short form. How may of us are making full-length feature films or 50 minute TV shows? Most of my videos could be considered short-films because they're only running 10 minutes. NatGeo has a short film library of the most excellent films you've ever seen, some only 3 minutes long, some longer about 20 minutes or so. All considered short compared to feature length.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
The worst thing about shorts: It feeds the idea that there is some kind of short cut to fame, glory and money. I speculate that even the name Shorts is often inferred to mean a quick way to success in the minds of most beginner creators. Now for me it's a waste of time, but for others they are probably more imaginative than me and have figured a way to make Shorts work, but I can't see the monetary benefit long term.

However most everything on YouTube is short form. How may of us are making full-length feature films or 50 minute TV shows? Most of my videos could be considered short-films because they're only running 10 minutes. NatGeo has a short film library of the most excellent films you've ever seen, some only 3 minutes long, some longer about 20 minutes or so. All considered short compared to feature length.

I agree completely. If YouTube does not get their head unstuck, they are going to lose this war. TikTok just extended their max time limit on videos to 10 minutes. TikTok and Facebook are coming for YouTube with a vengeance. They are aggressively marketing their platforms and are very successful at it. I made my first TikTok video on my phone last week and although I hate the TikTok style, their app runs circles around the YouTube app so bad it stomps it to dust. It is a whole different universe as far as video creation on a smartphone app. The YouTube app is hilariously horrible in comparison. There is a reason TikTok is smashing YouTube to bits in the short smartphone video department.

The problem is that YT is content to coast along on its former glory and blow hype smoke at its creators instead of putting hard work into really trying to compete. I want YT to succeed for the simple reason I have put too much dang work into my channel to see it die because of the lazy complacency of YT.

Last edited:

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
The worst thing about shorts: It feeds the idea that there is some kind of short cut to fame, glory and money. I speculate that even the name Shorts is often inferred to mean a quick way to success in the minds of most beginner creators. Now, for me it's a waste of time. Others more imaginative than me may have figured a way to make Shorts work, but I can't see the monetary benefit long term.

I've been very resistant to Shorts for awhile but only recently warmed up to it because I saw a creator my age group in my industry was doing some very credible stuff on TikTok and monetizing. I was very intrigued and just binged-watch her TT videos. That is when I finally had my light bulb moment. If someone like me is resistant to long form willing to binge watch her stuff because of her content and style, then that means I am not the only person.

In terms of monetization, I get that there is no obvious monetization path but for my goals, pursuits, and building a personal brand extending reach and making it easy for people to "meet" me is helpful.

Anyhow, I am not here to twist anyone's arm on this. But I see lots of potential and opportunity. Whether or not that translates to anything meaningful? Time will certainly tell.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I agree completely. If YouTube does not get their head unstuck, they are going to lose this war. TikTok just extended their max time limit on videos to 10 minutes. TikTok and Facebook are coming for YouTube with a vengeance. They are aggressively marketing their platforms and are very successful at it. I made my first TikTok video on my phone last week and although I hate the TikTok style, their app runs circles around the YouTube app so bad it stomps it to dust. It is a whole different universe as far as video creation on a smartphone app. The YouTube app is hilariously horrible in comparison. There is a reason TikTok is smashing YouTube to bits in the short smartphone video department.

The problem is that YT is content to coast along on its former glory and blow hype smoke at its creators instead of putting hard work into really trying to compete. I want YT to succeed for the simple reason I have put too much dang work into my channel to see it die because of the lazy complacency of YT.

Historically, both Google and YouTube have had their share of failures and setbacks. But they also have a boatload of tenacity and a lot of money to throw to work through their issues. Personally, I think there will be multiple platforms for the foreseeable future. Every platform will have its own culture and peculiarities.

While no one can guarantee that YT will continue to be dominant, I am NOT betting against YT.

And if it helps, I don't use the TT or IG app at all to create my shorts. I do it on my desktop like I normally do and just upload the finished video from my computer. I am probably in the minority, however. A lot of people like creating & editing these short videos on their phone. I like my mouse and keyboard.

Reactions: The Jungle Explorer
OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Historically, both Google and YouTube have had their share of failures and setbacks. But they also have a boatload of tenacity and a lot of money to throw to work through their issues. Personally, I think there will be multiple platforms for the foreseeable future. Every platform will have its own culture and peculiarities.

While no one can guarantee that YT will continue to be dominant, I am NOT betting against YT.

And if it helps, I don't use the TT or IG app at all to create my shorts. I do it on my desktop like I normally do and just upload the finished video from my computer. I am probably in the minority, however. A lot of people like creating & editing these short videos on their phone. I like my mouse and keyboard.

You know I am a Desktop guy as well, but the power of the TT app is really quite amazing. Most apps are generally a sacrifice of function when compared to a Desktop app, but the TT app is about as fully-fledged as my current desktop program which is Corel Video studio. It does not offer all the bells and whistles, but I seldom use those anyway. It offers cropping, splitting, speed control, rotation, enhancement, splicing, transitions, and multi-track. PiP, etc, etc, etc. It also analyzed the video and recommends music from the TT audio library. I have only made one video with it, so I am sure there is more capacity there than what I have learned so far. I am not saying I like editing with it. I hate doing anything serious work on my phone. My point is, in comparison to the piece of crap creation app that YT offers, it is in a whole other universe.

I agree that YT has the capacity to be great when it comes to Shorts, they simply are not doing it and are choosing to rely on hype and dangling a false carrot. No one is not expendable in this industry. Microsoft and Walmart were once thought to be unbeatable too. Then, along came Google and Amazon.com.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You know I am a Desktop guy as well, but the power of the TT app is really quite amazing. Most apps are generally a sacrifice of function when compared to a Desktop app, but the TT app is about as fully-fledged as my current desktop program which is Corel Video studio. It does not offer all the bells and whistles, but I seldom use those anyway. It offers cropping, splitting, speed control, rotation, enhancement, splicing, transitions, and multi-track. PiP, etc, etc, etc. It also analyzed the video and recommends music from the TT audio library. I have only made one video with it, so I am sure there is more capacity there than what I have learned so far. I am not saying I like editing with it. I hate doing anything serious work on my phone. My point is, in comparison to the piece of crap creation app that YT offers, it is in a whole other universe.

I agree that YT has the capacity to be great when it comes to Shorts, they simply are not doing it and are choosing to rely on hype and dangling a false carrot. No one is not expendable in this industry. Microsoft and Walmart were once thought to be unbeatable too. Then, along came Google and Amazon.com.

I agree with you that the TT phone app is pretty good. I was especially impressed with the ability to incorporate good popular music into the video. That is the one big piece you cannot do TT through desktop. Also, I really don't want to do 3 different short videos: one for YT, TT, and IG. It is too much work for me. I am "cheating" by uploading the same video file to 3 different platforms.

You are also correct that no one is invincible. Even AMZ is actually going through some pains now because of the way they burn/discard their warehouse workers. Netflix is cancelling shows all over the place. And FB is bleeding users because younger users refuse to use FB. But I think what YT has a huge lead on is the huge archive of content going back 15 years all searchable. No way that IG and TT can boast that. However, in Tech nothing is forever. We are always hitting a moving target.

• Love
Reactions: The Jungle Explorer
OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree with you that the TT phone app is pretty good. I was especially impressed with the ability to incorporate good popular music into the video. That is the one big piece you cannot do TT through desktop. Also, I really don't want to do 3 different short videos: one for YT, TT, and IG. It is too much work for me. I am "cheating" by uploading the same video file to 3 different platforms.

You are also correct that no one is invincible. Even AMZ is actually going through some pains now because of the way they burn/discard their warehouse workers. Netflix is cancelling shows all over the place. And FB is bleeding users because younger users refuse to use FB. But I think what YT has a huge lead on is the huge archive of content going back 15 years all searchable. No way that IG and TT can boast that. However, in Tech nothing is forever. We are always hitting a moving target.

100% agree. Walmart invested 22 Billion into fighting back against Amazon.com and is making huge headway. The problem with Amazon and all these giants is that they get big-headed and think they are invincible. Bezos has turned into a spoiled brat who throwing a legal tantrum because he was not chosen to be a part of the new Moon project. Netflix decided to turn its company into a social politics rhetoric machine, instead of being an "Entertainment" company and people are jumping ship right and left. Disney just did the same thing and their stock has dropped 50% in the last month. All of these big companies get big-headed and think it is somehow their job to "Change the World". New Flash, it is not their job. Amazon is a retail goods company. It needs to focus on selling products. Netflix and Disney are entertainment companies. They need to focus on entertaining. YouTube is a platform for amateur and professional creators to create and share content. It needs to focus on making this easier and more profitable. I will give YT credit in this respect. After the Adpocolips, YT went a little nuts and became a little too aggressive in their anti-everything that isn't sweetness and light campaign. They have backtracked on that a little and made some good effort to make YT a more friendly place for the less than perpetually offended crowd.

I don't think YouTube will end, but their part in the future of online streaming video will become way less if they do not start making a big effort. I am talking about the kind of effort Walmart has made to try to regain real estate from Amazon.com, not just blowing smoke and dangling carrots.

JohnBulgaria

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Shorts can get you views and recognition. From then on, it's you. People's attention span nowadays is maybe 20 seconds, so...short, quick videos do the trick