• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News YouTubeΓÇÖs Removing the Option to Hide Subscriber

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have mine currently hidden because I wanted to do a test but I guess I have to turn my count back on.. What do you think of this

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I am unclear what turning off subscribers count does for any tests you might be doing.

It is perfectly okay to leave your subscriber count off for the time being if it is that important to you but YT is putting an end to that practice once and for all and I (one of many) am in support of it in the interest of transparency.

Reactions: Jeff Goober

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I agree, I really don't understand the logic of hiding subscribers either. I have never hidden my subscribers' counts, I believe If you be transparent to your subscribers or other people who visit your channel, it will create a sort of trust and thus, it will motivate people to help you grow but again, I will respect your decision of hiding it If you must but since now, YT is taking off that feature or permission to hide the subscribers count, I would like to see how people might react on it. I have a few friends who believe If they hid their subscription counts when they have low subscribers, it might trick people into subscribing, which is quite wrong but some people have different reasons for doing things, hence, it might be fun to see how it will go for them.

The one good thing is that impersonation of the big YouTubers' accounts will be curbed or stopped at all. I personally have come into such a scenario and have found a few channels that were impersonating TubeBuddy and getting people into Crypto currency scams by using the same logo and everything.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I agree, I really don't understand the logic of hiding subscribers either. I have never hidden my subscribers' counts, I believe If you be transparent to your subscribers or other people who visit your channel, it will create a sort of trust and thus, it will motivate people to help you grow but again, I will respect your decision of hiding it If you must but since now, YT is taking off that feature or permission to hide the subscribers count, I would like to see how people might react on it. I have a few friends who believe If they hid their subscription counts when they have low subscribers, it might trick people into subscribing, which is quite wrong but some people have different reasons for doing things, hence, it might be fun to see how it will go for them.

The one good thing is that impersonation of the big YouTubers' accounts will be curbed or stopped at all. I personally have come into such a scenario and have found a few channels that were impersonating TubeBuddy and getting people into Crypto currency scams by using the same logo and everything.

The most important currency on the Internet is trust. Creating trust online is difficult in a world of scammers, imposters, anonymity, likes, and made up information.

Hiding subscriber counts automatically makes people wonder why it is being hidden, so there is that suspicion as a first impression. To me, suspicion is worse than being a newbie account. Honestly, there are strategies of overcoming newbie status but many people want to walk the line of being famous online while being anonymous. They are conflicted.

There has to be clarity of purpose. I am very much of an introvert and prefer to be in my own bubble. But I am also a pragmatic and understand how things work. But a lot of people undermine their own efforts by not going in with both feet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am unclear what turning off subscribers count does for any tests you might be doing.

It is perfectly okay to leave your subscriber count off for the time being if it is that important to you but YT is putting an end to that practice once and for all and I (one of many) am in support of it in the interest of transparency.
I was gonna test it out to see if I get more subscribers or the same amount by hiding my subscriber count for 90 days....I've read articles where people have tried it and it actually worked for them so I was going to test it out and do a video on it but not anymore now lol

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I was gonna test it out to see if I get more subscribers or the same amount by hiding my subscriber count for 90 days....I've read articles where people have tried it and it actually worked for them so I was going to test it out and do a video on it but not anymore now lol

There are a lot of things written that once "worked". We have to not only figure out how prior information is applicable today's environment but we also have to look into the future.

I believe earning Trust and creating transparency is paramount if you want to cut through the noise online ESPECIALLY if you are a newbie.

People don't realize that they are also creating personal brands whether they show their face or not. To me, many creators handicap themselves and their efforts unnecessarily with the decisions they make on how to portray themselves online.

People clearly have abused the ability to hide their subscriber count and that is why people often cannot have nice things. There are always people who ruin privileges given. So, YT is taking it all away in the hopes that it will make scamming cockroaches lives a lot more difficult.

Reactions: Jeff Goober

TCC learncanva4yt

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I saw their video on why they are removing the ability to hide subscribers.

I hid mine back sometime in 2021 for about a week and realized you know what I am PROUD of the 20 people that are subscribed and I wanted to SHOW that number. I actually didn't gain (or lose) a single subscriber during that week I had it hidden. It should automatically show when the deadling hits (I think it was July 29th so you can stay hidden if you want until they reverse that).

Reactions: Damon