• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered Questions about keyword explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwsu4453169

I have been TubeBuddy user (Star Plan) for couple of month now and I have some questions on how the keyword explorer works, particular how is the data estimated. Specifically:
1. How is the monthly search volumn estimated? I would think YouTube does not make the search information available to TubeBuddy? Is the estimation from the number of views in a month fitted with some kind of linear regression model?
2. How is the competition level determined? For example if I search for a term "soccer coaching techniques" I would see the top videos are very closely what I am looking for but further down I go I started to see unrelated videos. Is keyword explorer taking into consideration for the unrelated videos as non-competition? Maybe they don't appear in the title/description or tags?
3. In general, how would I use keyword explorer to search for a niche channel that has a good chance of successful? Or is the tool more suited for people that already have their own channel and just want to figure out how to improve SEO for their existing channel?

Any information would be greately apprecated!

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I have been TubeBuddy user (Star Plan) for couple of month now and I have some questions on how the keyword explorer works, particular how is the data estimated. Specifically:
1. How is the monthly search volumn estimated? I would think YouTube does not make the search information available to TubeBuddy? Is the estimation from the number of views in a month fitted with some kind of linear regression model?
2. How is the competition level determined? For example if I search for a term "soccer coaching techniques" I would see the top videos are very closely what I am looking for but further down I go I started to see unrelated videos. Is keyword explorer taking into consideration for the unrelated videos as non-competition? Maybe they don't appear in the title/description or tags?
3. In general, how would I use keyword explorer to search for a niche channel that has a good chance of successful? Or is the tool more suited for people that already have their own channel and just want to figure out how to improve SEO for their existing channel?

Heya!!! I hope you're doing well :)

I love this question, the reason is, I myself was a bit confused about back then but now, I have made a small post about the same question in regards to the "monthly estimated volume" or How TubeBuddy use the data to help our user in regards to the specific keywords search volume -

In regards to the competition level, it's quite easy! When you search the term "soccer coaching techniques" in our keyword explorer, our keywords extracts all the data from YouTube page using that search term and thus, you see all the top videos or the channel which have their titles/tags and their description included that very tag or keywords. Thus, when you see the competition is inclining towards the green bar, it means, even though there is bit competition, If you do your SEO and make a video on this topic, there are high chance, you can get an authority over that very keyword thus, you might indeed end up coming in the searches.

It doesn't include the unrelated videos unless those videos include either of the keywords or the terms which we have used in our phrase "soccer coaching techniques". So keyword will try to show all the data for those keywords and then determine how the competition level will go.

You can watch the below video which will give you an idea of how you can optimize the video using our Keyword explorer -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzoLKuKaO8Q&list=PLpzjxyndddwJRFAu1_hCwVSmoyj343Xsl

To understand how the monthly search is estimated -
View: https://youtu.be/-vP07wA3yo4

Hope this helps :)

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal

Heya!!! I hope you're doing well :)

I love this question, the reason is, I myself was a bit confused about back then but now, I have made a small post about the same question in regards to the "monthly estimated volume" or How TubeBuddy use the data to help our user in regards to the specific keywords search volume -

In regards to the competition level, it's quite easy! When you search the term "soccer coaching techniques" in our keyword explorer, our keywords extracts all the data from YouTube page using that search term and thus, you see all the top videos or the channel which have their titles/tags and their description included that very tag or keywords. Thus, when you see the competition is inclining towards the green bar, it means, even though there is bit competition, If you do your SEO and make a video on this topic, there are high chance, you can get an authority over that very keyword thus, you might indeed end up coming in the searches.

It doesn't include the unrelated videos unless those videos include either of the keywords or the terms which we have used in our phrase "soccer coaching techniques". So keyword will try to show all the data for those keywords and then determine how the competition level will go.

You can watch the below video which will give you an idea of how you can optimize the video using our Keyword explorer -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzoLKuKaO8Q&list=PLpzjxyndddwJRFAu1_hCwVSmoyj343Xsl

To understand how the monthly search is estimated -
View: https://youtu.be/-vP07wA3yo4

Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
W

wwsu4453169

Hi Nody,

I am seeing something strange and wondering if it can be explained? When I search for the term "train tracking app" I am seeing TubeBuddy saying it's 65.0K searches per month, but from the youtube results it does not make sense. It looks like just adding the total views is definitely less than 1K when divide by how many month. Some videos from 1-2 years ago is at the top the list suggesting that there's not too many recent videos on this topic.

I understand the search volume TB comes up with is just an estimate, but in this case it seems to be pretty far off? Or is there something I am missing here?

Thanks for your help!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You are not going to be able to discern search traffic data by looking at search results. That term reflects that it is being searched 65,000 times per month, but we don't know what results these searches are yielding. As an example if every single video in those search results has a CTR of .01% then the views on these videos is going to be very low, regardless of how many people are actually searching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.