• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question New Channel Shorts or Shorts on its main channel

Kulture ChroniK

kulturechronik.fr
Subscriber Goal
Hello everyone,

I have a question that is bothering me.

Is it better to create an independent Shorts channel from scratch. Or is it better to post your shrts on your main channel? Knowing that I have 60k subscribers on my main channel.

Do shorts affect watchtime? Because with short videos of 15 seconds or 1 minute, it will greatly lower the watchtime of my main channel. Or does YouTube calculate on the same channel, the watchtime and the analytical data independently for the usual videos and the shorts?

Thank you for your answers.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Hello everyone,

I have a question that is bothering me.

Is it better to create an independent Shorts channel from scratch. Or is it better to post your shrts on your main channel? Knowing that I have 60k subscribers on my main channel.

Do shorts affect watchtime? Because with short videos of 15 seconds or 1 minute, it will greatly lower the watchtime of my main channel. Or does YouTube calculate on the same channel, the watchtime and the analytical data independently for the usual videos and the shorts?

Thank you for your answers.

Mr. Beast and Tom Beaupre (YouTube's Director of Product Management) came out at Vidcon and said that you do not need to have your Shorts videos on a different channel. They reflect in YouTube's Search and Discovery Systems as well as the Shorts algorithm, but they are not going to harm your other videos or overall channel performance.

So long as you are making Shorts that fall in line with your regular content; if you do an amazingly-decent fishing channel and you start making cat Shorts videos you may have a problem.

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
I created a new channel for my shorts. It has grown to 200 subs so far. I wanted to keep my main channel to only horizontal videos, not the vertical tiktok type videos. It felt messy to me to mix the two.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I created a new channel for my shorts. It has grown to 200 subs so far. I wanted to keep my main channel to only horizontal videos, not the vertical tiktok type videos. It felt messy to me to mix the two.

My thinking on this has evolved based on new inputs from YT and how things are trending. The folks at YT are smart people. I think they know a lot of the complaints regarding verticals. Looks ugly on desktop, no thumbnails for verticals, algorithm weirdness, etc. I am confident they are actively working through these issues.

The fact of the matter is, no matter how much I may prefer horizontal videos and desktop PC YT on a personal level, I cannot ignore the larger trends. To do so would be professional suicide.

TV viewing is up, tablet viewing is up, so is phone viewing. YT knows this and they are the ones responsible for building out the web infrastructure and apps viewers use. As a viewer, shorts allows me to try a new channel out without a big commitment to a long video. If I like the short content, I then graduate to the longer content. That has been my behavior as a viewer but I don't think I am the only one like that.

Hence, I want to make some content for new visitors to "try me out". If they like the shorties, then maybe they will stick around for the longer content.

Certainly, as a creator, we can keep things separate but I think YT is trying to make both long-form and short-form co-exist in a single channel. Tiktok, Instagram, and Linkedin are all adjusting their platforms to allow longer videos, not just the shorties. We are going into a new era in video. I think we should start preparing ourselves now as YT continues to improve their infrastructure.

We are going into an era where a channel will have both long-form and short-form regardless of platform. There is no question in my mind, I will be utilizing the two going forward. I had a mental block for a long time but things came together for me in June.

I think the rewards are worth the risks. But obviously, every creator has to make their own determination.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Mr. Beast and Tom Beaupre (YouTube's Director of Product Management) came out at Vidcon and said that you do not need to have your Shorts videos on a different channel. They reflect in YouTube's Search and Discovery Systems as well as the Shorts algorithm, but they are not going to harm your other videos or overall channel performance.

So long as you are making Shorts that fall in line with your regular content; if you do an amazingly-decent fishing channel and you start making cat Shorts videos you may have a problem.

The Youtube search totally caught me offguard. That Vidcon announcement was really significant to me. I thought Shorts were entirely reliant on being in the Shorts Shelf. But I have also been able to add Shorts into my other non-shorts playlists which helps build up the playlist library.

And it just so happens, I did upload one cat Shorts blooper video! But I am pretty sure that one video won't go viral or kill my channel. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
My thinking on this has evolved based on new inputs from YT and how things are trending. The folks at YT are smart people. I think they know a lot of the complaints regarding verticals. Looks ugly on desktop, no thumbnails for verticals, algorithm weirdness, etc. I am confident they are actively working through these issues.

The fact of the matter is, no matter how much I may prefer horizontal videos and desktop PC YT on a personal level, I cannot ignore the larger trends. To do so would be professional suicide.

TV viewing is up, tablet viewing is up, so is phone viewing. YT knows this and they are the ones responsible for building out the web infrastructure and apps viewers use. As a viewer, shorts allows me to try a new channel out without a big commitment to a long video. If I like the short content, I then graduate to the longer content. That has been my behavior as a viewer but I don't think I am the only one like that.

Hence, I want to make some content for new visitors to "try me out". If they like the shorties, then maybe they will stick around for the longer content.

Certainly, as a creator, we can keep things separate but I think YT is trying to make both long-form and short-form co-exist in a single channel. Tiktok, Instagram, and Linkedin are all adjusting their platforms to allow longer videos, not just the shorties. We are going into a new era in video. I think we should start preparing ourselves now as YT continues to improve their infrastructure.

We are going into an era where a channel will have both long-form and short-form regardless of platform. There is no question in my mind, I will be utilizing the two going forward. I had a mental block for a long time but things came together for me in June.

I think the rewards are worth the risks. But obviously, every creator has to make their own determination.

Thank you for this. I agree. You must keep with the times. I have accounts on almost every platform. So where people go, I GO! lol

I do have a tiktok page, I don't post on it as much. But I do post there. The only thing I don't have is a MySpace page. Whatever that is.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
The only thing I don't have is a MySpace page. Whatever that is.

MySpace is history. That was from the mid-2000's. They fell by the wayside. Stick to YT, TT, and IG for now. Those are the big ones.

Reactions: Avocado
OP
OP
Kulture ChroniK

Kulture ChroniK

kulturechronik.fr
Subscriber Goal
Mr. Beast and Tom Beaupre (YouTube's Director of Product Management) came out at Vidcon and said that you do not need to have your Shorts videos on a different channel. They reflect in YouTube's Search and Discovery Systems as well as the Shorts algorithm, but they are not going to harm your other videos or overall channel performance. So long as you are making Shorts that fall in line with your regular content; if you do an amazingly-decent fishing channel and you start making cat Shorts videos you may have a problem.

I contacted YouTube creator support and they told me the same thing. The Shorts do not harm other content and the Watchtime of the channel.
They advised me to post my shorts at the same time as my usual videos (6 p.m.) but I wonder if it's not better if I post in the morning around 8 a.m.

OP
OP
Kulture ChroniK

Kulture ChroniK

kulturechronik.fr
Subscriber Goal
In

Interesting what you say. It's true that bringing "shorts" and long content together on the same channel can make it possible to attract new people who have never watched a long video from our Youtube channel.