• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Why are there so many people who choose gaming for YT?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I have to ask...

Why do so many people choose gaming as their genre for YouTube? It seems like one of the worst genre's on YT to get into due to the overwhelming competition. There seems to oceans of gaming channels and they kind of look alike to me.

I like PC strategy games and I've kicked around the idea of putting up the occasional Game video but it seems to me that it is very hard to carve out a niche in gaming unless you have a colorful personality.

If I were to advise a genre, I would recommend darn near any other genre to start besides gaming. But obviously other creators are seeing something I am not.

I would love to hear what the attraction is to gaming as a YT genre.

Last edited:

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Ironically there's another post asking what are the hardest genres to grow in and besides vloging, gaming is the one other I believe is nearly impossible to grow in a big way for the average person for this very reason. Gaming is popular because it only requires the most basic to start a channel. Games and either a PC or a console. Things the average person has already. You don't even need to have pro skills to do gaming videos. Hell, you don't even need games that require mad skills to make content. Which is why getting into this genre is so easy for the average person.

Let's make a few comparisons:

Vs tech reviews: It often requires, at the very least, to have the tech in hand to give worthwhile reviews. Using other peoples articles and videos to give your opinion can only get you so far. But tech is expensive and thus out of reach of most ppl.

Vs beauty content: Usually a genre run by women, it requires using a lot of make up sets, beauty supplies and also having skills to do proper make up tutorials and hairdos. It's not something most ppl have the skills for.

Vs comedic content: if you're not funny you got nothing.

That's how I see it.

Reactions: MattCommand1