• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Can I change my niche

Levi Masilo

Hi my name is Levi, my YouTube and my niche is lifestyle, fashion and fitness but lately IΓÇÖve been loving to travel and I want to swap fitness with travel. Do you think that will assist my channelΓÇÖs growth?

Reactions: Peter'sMoney
OP
OP
Levi Masilo

Levi Masilo

It isn't going to change your growth trajectory... your current audience came to you for 'lifestyle, fashion and fitness.' If you pivot to 'lifestyle, fashion and travel' that is going to be a slightly different audience and you are going to experience a lot of a few subscribers who came more specifically for fitness, while you'll also make gains with a new audience who prefers the travel aspect of your videos.
Thank you for your response

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Hi my name is Levi, my YouTube and my niche is lifestyle, fashion and fitness but lately IΓÇÖve been loving to travel and I want to swap fitness with travel. Do you think that will assist my channelΓÇÖs growth?
It isn't going to change your growth trajectory... your current audience came to you for 'lifestyle, fashion and fitness.' If you pivot to 'lifestyle, fashion and travel' that is going to be a slightly different audience and you are going to experience a lot of a few subscribers who came more specifically for fitness, while you'll also make gains with a new audience who prefers the travel aspect of your videos.

Reactions: Levi Masilo

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

What you list doesn't sound like "a niche". It sounds like a spectrum of interests (or different buckets of content) that may or may not be interconnected.

If you want to add travel and stop fitness, my thinking is just try it.

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Masilo
OP
OP
Levi Masilo

Levi Masilo

What you list doesn't sound like "a niche". It sounds like a spectrum of interests (or different buckets of content) that may or may not be interconnected.

If you want to add travel and stop fitness, my thinking is just try it.
Well noted and thanks for your honesty response

Peter'sMoney

Subscriber Goal
I do not think changing your niche is good or bad. But here are a few things to consider if you consider changing your niche.
  1. Why would you want to change your niche? Knowing your niche before you even start out is a Best Practice. So if you already have defined your niche before starting out, you really need to know why you want to change your niche.
  2. How does changing your niche affect your already existing audience? If you have an audience who follows you do the latter. you need to see how changing your niche affects the extent to which they get to consume your subsequent content.
  3. Is changing your niche going to benefit you as compared with your already existing niche?
  4. Will the niche you switch to have an evergreen content strategy where you can give out as much value as possible?
  5. Have researched properly the niche you want to change into?
Once the above is given a thought, you can make a concrete decision as to whether or not you want to change your niche.:sun:

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Well noted and thanks for your honest response

Hi Levi,

My answer was a bit more curt than I intended. I had not viewed or sample your videos so I gave a conservative answer.

However, I do want to say that "fashion" is a lifestyle for many people. "Fitness" is also a lifestyle for many people. And "travel" is a lifestyle too for many people. If you are living your life and it is the spotlight, it could be very organic to your audience that you phase out of fitness into travel.

People and channels are allowed to change and evolve. Sometimes you have to be true to who you are which is why I was supportive in your change even if there is a temporary hit to your channel. As most things in life, it is all in the execution.

I hope that helps give a bit more context. There was no shade intended.