• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion A Funny Interaction I Had

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Every year I take a look at my channel performance the previous year and I set a few goal for myself. When 2022 rolled around I decided that I should aim for the 5,000 subscriber mark for my channel by the end of the year. I started at about 4,400 in January. Now, it is important to break down goals like this into consumable pieces so that you can set tasks and realistic initiatives for yourself. I needed 600 subscribers in 365 days, which means I basically need to earn 2 subscribers per day for the entire year in order to hit my goal. This is a great task in my opinion; I am currently averaging 1 subscriber per day organically. This goal requires me to make a push for subscribers and causes me to step out of my comfort zone. Outside of my organic growth I need to convince one person per day to subscribe to my channel.

Just one subscriber per day.

Recently I have taken to being more interactive when filming. My videos are filmed outdoors, and while fishing is something that is most often accomplished when you are furthest from people it does still require me to spend time at tackle shops, buying gas and morning tacos/coffee etc. One of my goals is to provide as much of this fishing experience as possible to the viewer; I am here so that someone can enjoy a fishing trip even when they are not capable of doing so on their own, and part of the experience is that time spent at the bait stand or buying breakfast tacos. I am really shy when filming around people. I'm really antisocial and I actually suffer from some pretty severe anxiety in large crowds. But now that I have this 1-per-day assignment I am forced to get out there and talk to people and engage with living, breathing human beings.

This past weekend my wife and I drove up to Austin, Texas. It is a beautiful area and there is a spot near where we were staying that I have been wanting to film a video about for five years. This weekend was finally my chance. I won't get into the particulars of what happened... Austin is notoriously weird and the experience was... well you'll just have to check out the video to find out. But I had a unique, off-camera experience that I want to discuss here.

Screenshot_20220507-192303_Video Player-01.jpeg

I had been filming all day and wrapped the main story of the video. I had a couple hours to kill and I really wanted this to be something special, so I set out to get the best b-roll I could film. I got my dramatic zoom-in shots, my time-lapse footage and some of the best slow-motion, underwater footage I have ever filmed. I wanted to really cap things off with some amazing drone footage. Sadly, the batteries for the controller had died. I was really set on making this the best video possible, so I packed up and drove to the nearest gas station to grab a cold drink and some AA's.

As I am in the store these two young girls come walking in and ask the cashier if he offers cash back, which he does not. After a moment they approach me and ask if they can Venmo me $20 in exchange for cash so that they can purchase some drinks and snacks. I agree, but my wallet was in the truck so I stepped outside to grab the cash for them. I was just going to give them the cash... I don't even have a Venmo account. But that is when it struck me; I need to take advantage of this situation. This is how I am going to get my extra subscriber for the day. I grabbed a $20 and walked back inside... and I wish I could have had a camera on me when I did.

I was wishing that they would have followed me out to the truck; that way I could have been quiet and the conversation could have been between the three of us and I could give them the money and that would be that. In hindsight that would have looked really... really bad and I commend them for staying inside. It isn't safe to talk to strangers and I understand and appreciate their foresight to stay in a more public place. But man... that meant I had to talk to them... in front of other people... Ugh. So embarrassing. I stepped up and handed them the twenty dollars. The first girl pulled out her phone to do the Venmo thing and I stopped her.
"Don't worry about that, it's on me.' I said, stumbling over my words. I wasn't sure how to broach the subject, and I am certain that I looked totally sketchy as I fumbled my way through the conversation. 'But there is a catch...'

Yup. I said that. To two girls that I just handed money to in front of the entire store. Heads turned. The stares burned far worse than any sun burn. I followed up as quickly as a could, now more nervous than ever.

'...You see, I do a YouTube channel and if you have any friends who like fishing...' I spit it out as fast as I could. I didn't even do it for the sake of subscribers, I just wanted to get past my initial comment to get all the eyes off me. At first I had not been looking them in the eye. I was too embarrassed, too shy and too awkward to converse like a regular human being. But they both whipped out their phones erratically and with eyes like saucers they asked about my channel before I could even finish explaining.

'Oh my God... you're like a big YouTuber?' The first girl asked.

'What kind of videos do you make?' Asked the second girl.

'What's your channel name?' The first girl followed... the questions and comments were coming faster than I could respond. The eyes in the room were growing more and more intense. Was I some pervy guy trying to prey on these young girls with the promise of Insta-fame?

'The channel is called Stanley Orchard and I...' The first girl tapped her phone about four times and let out a small squeal before I could finish my sentence. She showed the second girl, whose jaw dropped and eyes widened.

'Oh my God!' The first girl said. 'You are like a professional!'

'You are famous!' The second girl followed up. This caught me of guard, and I immediately had about seventeen things to say about 'fame.' Of course the conversation was going way too fast for that. But this is when I was finally able to right the ship and take over the conversation again.

'Oh no... no I am not famous.' I smiled and jumped back into the conversation. 'I am good at what I do and I am proud of my work, but I am not famous. I just enjoy fishing, and if you have any friends who enjoy fishing I ask that you simply force them to subscribe to my channel!'

I grinned as I delivered the punch line and they got the joke. The rest of the store let out an almost obvious sigh of relief. I wasn't a total creep. The girls laughed and agreed to tell their friends, whom they said did enjoy fishing. I thanked them, they thanked me and we split ways. The moment lasted all of about 30 seconds and at the end of it I was absolutely drained.

And yes... like every single person reading this I immediately jumped in the truck and pulled up my YouTube Studio. +2 subscribers, mission accomplished.

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Every year I take a look at my channel performance the previous year and I set a few goal for myself. When 2022 rolled around I decided that I should aim for the 5,000 subscriber mark for my channel by the end of the year. I started at about 4,400 in January. Now, it is important to break down goals like this into consumable pieces so that you can set tasks and realistic initiatives for yourself. I needed 600 subscribers in 365 days, which means I basically need to earn 2 subscribers per day for the entire year in order to hit my goal. This is a great task in my opinion; I am currently averaging 1 subscriber per day organically. This goal requires me to make a push for subscribers and causes me to step out of my comfort zone. Outside of my organic growth I need to convince one person per day to subscribe to my channel.

Just one subscriber per day.

Recently I have taken to being more interactive when filming. My videos are filmed outdoors, and while fishing is something that is most often accomplished when you are furthest from people it does still require me to spend time at tackle shops, buying gas and morning tacos/coffee etc. One of my goals is to provide as much of this fishing experience as possible to the viewer; I am here so that someone can enjoy a fishing trip even when they are not capable of doing so on their own, and part of the experience is that time spent at the bait stand or buying breakfast tacos. I am really shy when filming around people. I'm really antisocial and I actually suffer from some pretty severe anxiety in large crowds. But now that I have this 1-per-day assignment I am forced to get out there and talk to people and engage with living, breathing human beings.

This past weekend my wife and I drove up to Austin, Texas. It is a beautiful area and there is a spot near where we were staying that I have been wanting to film a video about for five years. This weekend was finally my chance. I won't get into the particulars of what happened... Austin is notoriously weird and the experience was... well you'll just have to check out the video to find out. But I had a unique, off-camera experience that I want to discuss here.

View attachment 12195

I had been filming all day and wrapped the main story of the video. I had a couple hours to kill and I really wanted this to be something special, so I set out to get the best b-roll I could film. I got my dramatic zoom-in shots, my time-lapse footage and some of the best slow-motion, underwater footage I have ever filmed. I wanted to really cap things off with some amazing drone footage. Sadly, the batteries for the controller had died. I was really set on making this the best video possible, so I packed up and drove to the nearest gas station to grab a cold drink and some AA's.

As I am in the store these two young girls come walking in and ask the cashier if he offers cash back, which he does not. After a moment they approach me and ask if they can Venmo me $20 in exchange for cash so that they can purchase some drinks and snacks. I agree, but my wallet was in the truck so I stepped outside to grab the cash for them. I was just going to give them the cash... I don't even have a Venmo account. But that is when it struck me; I need to take advantage of this situation. This is how I am going to get my extra subscriber for the day. I grabbed a $20 and walked back inside... and I wish I could have had a camera on me when I did.

I was wishing that they would have followed me out to the truck; that way I could have been quiet and the conversation could have been between the three of us and I could give them the money and that would be that. In hindsight that would have looked really... really bad and I commend them for staying inside. It isn't safe to talk to strangers and I understand and appreciate their foresight to stay in a more public place. But man... that meant I had to talk to them... in front of other people... Ugh. So embarrassing. I stepped up and handed them the twenty dollars. The first girl pulled out her phone to do the Venmo thing and I stopped her.
"Don't worry about that, it's on me.' I said, stumbling over my words. I wasn't sure how to broach the subject, and I am certain that I looked totally sketchy as I fumbled my way through the conversation. 'But there is a catch...'

Yup. I said that. To two girls that I just handed money to in front of the entire store. Heads turned. The stares burned far worse than any sun burn. I followed up as quickly as a could, now more nervous than ever.

'...You see, I do a YouTube channel and if you have any friends who like fishing...' I spit it out as fast as I could. I didn't even do it for the sake of subscribers, I just wanted to get past my initial comment to get all the eyes off me. At first I had not been looking them in the eye. I was too embarrassed, too shy and too awkward to converse like a regular human being. But they both whipped out their phones erratically and with eyes like saucers they asked about my channel before I could even finish explaining.

'Oh my God... you're like a big YouTuber?' The first girl asked.

'What kind of videos do you make?' Asked the second girl.

'What's your channel name?' The first girl followed... the questions and comments were coming faster than I could respond. The eyes in the room were growing more and more intense. Was I some pervy guy trying to prey on these young girls with the promise of Insta-fame?

'The channel is called Stanley Orchard and I...' The first girl tapped her phone about four times and let out a small squeal before I could finish my sentence. She showed the second girl, whose jaw dropped and eyes widened.

'Oh my God!' The first girl said. 'You are like a professional!'

'You are famous!' The second girl followed up. This caught me of guard, and I immediately had about seventeen things to say about 'fame.' Of course the conversation was going way too fast for that. But this is when I was finally able to right the ship and take over the conversation again.

'Oh no... no I am not famous.' I smiled and jumped back into the conversation. 'I am good at what I do and I am proud of my work, but I am not famous. I just enjoy fishing, and if you have any friends who enjoy fishing I ask that you simply force them to subscribe to my channel!'

I grinned as I delivered the punch line and they got the joke. The rest of the store let out an almost obvious sigh of relief. I wasn't a total creep. The girls laughed and agreed to tell their friends, whom they said did enjoy fishing. I thanked them, they thanked me and we split ways. The moment lasted all of about 30 seconds and at the end of it I was absolutely drained.

And yes... like every single person reading this I immediately jumped in the truck and pulled up my YouTube Studio. +2 subscribers, mission accomplished.
Well done that's amazing how something unexpected turned into subscribers so that is really awesome and you handling the situation perfectly. I'm the opposite when it comes to talk with people but nervous when it comes to saying that I have a YouTube channel so you've inspired me to talk about it more when people ask what I do as that could promote growth in my channel and another talking point.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Well done that's amazing how something unexpected turned into subscribers so that is really awesome and you handling the situation perfectly. I'm the opposite when it comes to talk with people but nervous when it comes to saying that I have a YouTube channel so you've inspired me to talk about it more when people ask what I do as that could promote growth in my channel and another talking point.
It's nerve-racking isn't it! I hate trying to tell people in person 'hey... I'm one of those YouTube guys and I kinda need you to check out my channel, jump through a few hoops and I promise I'm not terrible' lol

Reactions: The Kitchen Gamer

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
That was an intriguing story Stanley! For awhile, I was shy about calling myself a YouTuber; mostly because I didn't want to deal with all the criticisms or judgement or eyerolling. But recently, as I started to feel more proud of my content and the business connections that I was able to make lately, I decided to be more open about my side/hobby "profession" to the people that I meet and to my surprise, most people were very supportive and was genuinely curious about how YT works. I also had a random stranger come up to me saying "oh hey you are the youtube guy right?! I watched your videos man, they are awesome, it helped me decide.." This interaction was a humbling experience but also made me realize that whatever I say on my videos that there are real people listening!

My goal is also to hit 5k by end of the year and I know that it is very ambitious given that I am at 2k but I have been working my *** off lately to increase my viewer's experience and it has been paying off nicely with 8-15 subs and 2k views a day. I finally have viewers organically sharing my content without a call to action! I just need to watch myself from burning out - so this week, I deliberately decided not to upload a video and take the time to just get feedback from my viewers through a series of community poll posts. It has been nice to not have the pressure to upload and gives me some breathing room to think forward again. Anyways thanks for the story Stanley

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That was an intriguing story Stanley! For awhile, I was shy about calling myself a YouTuber; mostly because I didn't want to deal with all the criticisms or judgement or eyerolling. But recently, as I started to feel more proud of my content and the business connections that I was able to make lately, I decided to be more open about my side/hobby "profession" to the people that I meet and to my surprise, most people were very supportive and was genuinely curious about how YT works. I also had a random stranger come up to me saying "oh hey you are the youtube guy right?! I watched your videos man, they are awesome, it helped me decide.." This interaction was a humbling experience but also made me realize that whatever I say on my videos that there are real people listening!

My goal is also to hit 5k by end of the year and I know that it is very ambitious given that I am at 2k but I have been working my *** off lately to increase my viewer's experience and it has been paying off nicely with 8-15 subs and 2k views a day. I finally have viewers organically sharing my content without a call to action! I just need to watch myself from burning out - so this week, I deliberately decided not to upload a video and take the time to just get feedback from my viewers through a series of community poll posts. It has been nice to not have the pressure to upload and gives me some breathing room to think forward again. Anyways thanks for the story Stanley
Man you are saying all the right things!!! You have the perfect approach!!!

Reactions: KS Moto Cafe

Kathleen

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Aww, thanks for sharing this story, Stanley! It's a bit painful to step out of your comfort zone at times (I can totally relate as an introvert myself), but it's always so satisfying and rewarding when it all works out in the end! Happy for you! :D

• Love

9sholmes

What was the last piece of content video you made that did not bring attention to your channel, and what adjustments did you make from that video to produce quality content?

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
What was the last piece of content video you made that did not bring attention to your channel, and what adjustments did you make from that video to produce quality content?
I consider all of my videos to be quality... if one is not 'bringing attention to my channel' or performing the way I like I will go in and do AB tests on my thumbnails and titles. The vast majority of the time if a video is underperforming it is due to thumbnails/titles, and AB testing has been a total game-changer in improving these videos. In fact I highly encourage everyone who invests in their channel to AB test every video. I take my time with my content, and I don't think I have had a single example of when a video underperformed due to quality issues in years. Maybe 1 or 2 in the past three years due to bad audio (wind noise is a big issue for me). But almost always the issue comes down to titles/thumbnails.

9sholmes

I consider all of my videos to be quality... if one is not 'bringing attention to my channel' or performing the way I like I will go in and do AB tests on my thumbnails and titles. The vast majority of the time if a video is underperforming it is due to thumbnails/titles, and AB testing has been a total game-changer in improving these videos. In fact I highly encourage everyone who invests in their channel to AB test every video. I take my time with my content, and I don't think I have had a single example of when a video underperformed due to quality issues in years. Maybe 1 or 2 in the past three years due to bad audio (wind noise is a big issue for me). But almost always the issue comes down to titles/thumbnails.

What is "AB testing", and can you provide alternate online info about it?

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
  • Love

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
Hey Stan, I finally reached it! It came in 2 months early but I will take it . Hope you can meet your annual goal too buddy!

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Hey Stan, I finally reached it! It came in 2 months early but I will take it . Hope you can meet your annual goal too buddy!
Het congratulations! I'm close... looks like I am going to miss the mark but I will be very close! Not giving up either, gonna make a solid push the next two months!