• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice should I split my channel into two or more channels?

CheapDreams

I have been on the road filming nearly every day for 5 months straight causing me to have 6 terabytes of video to go through.

the original idea of my channel was . "save money on the things that don't matter so you can spend it on what does matter to you" so everyday money-saving tips and showing how to travel cheap. but now looking back I'm rethinking putting it all in one channel. if I were to post all the content I have or plan on doing in the near future, the number of videos would likely break down like this.

50% reginal restaurants and best of local dishes reviews.

30% travel reviews and suggestions that are budget-conscious

10% cruise-related

5% money-saving tips and tricks

5% local events ( festivals, parades, and shows)

5% product review

currently, I have only uploaded 29 videos and have 77 subs so I'm not too concerned about current subscribers and I can just direct them to the new channel.

I fear that if I split the channel up, I'll have a hard time keeping up on regular uploads, but if I post everything under one channel, my channel will seem scattered and without a niche to the algorithm and viewers.

so should I and how many channels should I do?

any input is greatly appreciated

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You're at an early stage of your channel which means you can still make changes without hurting your channel much. From what I can see most of the content is related to one another because it's all basically built around traveling. It seems that maintaining a single channel at the moment might be the best way to go as long as you keep it all within that genre and brand. My suggestion is to do the following:

Make yourself the main part of your brand. Make the content around you. I'll use a couple of gaming channels as an example of what I mean. If you look at ChocoTaco you'll notice most of his content is around the game PUBg. Lately he's been trying to pivot because the game is starting to die out. But he's best known for PUBg so the pivot suffers a little because most of his viewers are there for the game, not him. Then there's Jacksepticeye. His channel revolves around gameplay of just about any game out there. His content is all about how he plays the games, how he reacts to them. In essence, he can play any game and his viewers will eat it up because they are there for him not the game itself. If he were to pivot it would be towards a completely different genre which would require him to just start a whole new channel cause it would be impossible to switch his current subs from gaming to something else. You need to make your channel an all around content channel where you're the main reason to watch.

You channel name is Cheap Dreams. I think you're channel title should be Cheap Dreams With Ryan Nicholson. Make yourself the content. Say your name on every start of the video like "Hi I'm Ryan, welcome to another Cheap Dreams video" or something like that. That way it's about you being the one they come for rather than just the restaurant, location or item review.

This is just my suggestion. It's mostly based on how I find content I enjoy. And most content I see tends to go in this direction so I figure it must be a common practice. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
CheapDreams

CheapDreams

You channel name is Cheap Dreams. I think you're channel title should be Cheap Dreams With Ryan Nicholson. Make yourself the content. Say your name on every start of the video like "Hi I'm Ryan, welcome to another Cheap Dreams video" or something like that. That way it's about you being the one they come for rather than just the restaurant, location or item review.

This is just my suggestion. It's mostly based on how I find content I enjoy. And most content I see tends to go in this direction so I figure it must be a common practice. Hope this helps.
thanks for the input. I'm very modest and never wanted it to be about me, but I will try to be more open to that style.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
thanks for the input. I'm very modest and never wanted it to be about me, but I will try to be more open to that style.

Just to be sure. What I mean by that is make the content so that the viewers come to see it because "you" make it compelling to watch, not just because the location or product is compelling. Make it so that when they think of traveling they think of how good "you" make it sound as opposed to how good the location sounds.

OP
OP
CheapDreams

CheapDreams

Just to be sure. What I mean by that is make the content so that the viewers come to see it because "you" make it compelling to watch, not just because the location or product is compelling. Make it so that when they think of traveling they think of how good "you" make it sound as opposed to how good the location sounds.
I understood what you were saying, I typically do my videos with, is it worth visiting and how can you save money while visiting. or instead of going to this place go to this one.
the plan was to make it all about the place and save the viewer money on everyday life so they can travel more as well kinda like a friend giving a friend advice and describing things they should or should do on a vacation I've already done.

Reactions: Damon

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I think your future self is going to thank you for making this decision early on, regardless what it is. I agree if you continue to do a variety of subject content the focus needs to be mainly about "you" and how you engage with those subjects. But....when you are the focus you will be subliminally judged by your performance so that brings another level of planning / production into play.

I was going to do multiple subjects as well. In the end, and after a lot of research I realized the channels that do well in this case tend to have a host that could read outloud a phone book and it would be entertaining to watch. I am not that person. lol...

So I took a serious look at the content I want to produce and came to the conclusion I have 3 subjects worth focusing on. This decision was weighed first on subject popularity, then my personal interest / knowledge followed by content creation accessibility. I saw little overlap in these subjects and decided to create 3 different channels. Each channel would be more content focused and hopefully increase organic discovery. I should point out, one of those channels is super easy to create content for so that was a major decision in having a 3rd channel.

If you do end up creating multiple channels, perhaps name then similar so they are somewhat connected. Plus each channel could feature the others in their channel lists. Example: "CheapDreams Dining", "CheapDreams Travel", "CheapDreams Finance Tips".