• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Quality issues slowing me down.

Mrnace

So, I haven't done a proper video in a month or so, this is purely down to me not being happy with the quality of my videos. I had been using a manual focus lens on my DLSR and the picture looked totally fine on the DSLR screen, but when I transferred it to my Macbook for editing, it looks out of focus.

So, I am now waiting to be able to afford a new autofocus and silent lens and improve my editing skills.

Of course, it will affect the channel in the short term, but in the long run, things will be fine and much improved.

Has anyone else done this?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
So, I haven't done a proper video in a month or so, this is purely down to me not being happy with the quality of my videos. I had been using a manual focus lens on my DLSR and the picture looked totally fine on the DSLR screen, but when I transferred it to my Macbook for editing, it looks out of focus.

So, I am now waiting to be able to afford a new autofocus and silent lens and improve my editing skills.

Of course, it will affect the channel in the short term, but in the long run, things will be fine and much improved.

I take off about two months a year. It sucks; there will be a drop in views and you will notice that kickstarting things again after can take a couple weeks. But you can also utilize a break to get people back into your content. Make a big deal about your return, drop some exiting behind the scenes stuff on social media while they wait and then make the return video a big, hyped-up event. Time off can work in your favor.

OP
OP
M

Mrnace

I take off about two months a year. It sucks; there will be a drop in views and you will notice that kickstarting things again after can take a couple weeks. But you can also utilize a break to get people back into your content. Make a big deal about your return, drop some exiting behind the scenes stuff on social media while they wait and then make the return video a big, hyped-up event. Time off can work in your favor.

Thanks for the reply.

Would this depend on how popular the channel is? My channel is fairly new and only 43 subs and struggles to get 50views per video right now. I'm still posting to my social media, but no followers there yet as they are fairly new.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the reply.

Would this depend on how popular the channel is? My channel is fairly new and only 43 subs and struggles to get 50views per video right now. I'm still posting to my social media, but no followers there yet as they are fairly new.
Nope... has nothing to do with popularity. If you have a large foundation of views from search you won't notice a difference. If the majority of your views come from subscribers then you have to understand your audience's viewing habits and what works best for them.

Reactions: Mrnace

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

If you are relatively new, focusing on your DSLR camera is a distraction. You think it matters. But for most creators, it is really not that important at the beginning. There are many people who get going with their channels using their camera phones. Yes, I know it isn't always ideal. But it does matter WHEN you take a break. In the beginning, you need to methodically produce and get those early videos out. There is a lot of learning that comes out of the experience.

In the beginning, you are rolling a boulder up a hill which is tough enough. But if you take a month off to mess with a DSLR, you are going to put yourself at zero momentum much longer than you need to.

Taking a break is essential but WHEN you take it matters too. What that means is that you have to rely on existing momentum, inertia, and search results to carry you when you break. But breaking LATER than sooner is better because you will have a few more videos working for you by postponing it.

Stanley and a bunch of other credible people YTubers said this. Get those first 100 videos out and do it in as simply as possible. What you describe about your DSLR is making a tough job even harder.

Reactions: Damon and Mrnace

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
There are many people who get going with their channels using their camera phones.
Thats very true. Honestly, the truth is I still film on my ipad/phone, and that makes little difference to me. You don't really need a big fancy camera, phones, especially the newer-ones have very good cameras, and you can easily plug a mic into them with an adaptor. Its not a big deal.

Reactions: Damon

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
While working on my mobile phone, I got to 5000 subscribers. On this forum, I got the best advice about what equipment to buy, like light, streaming, and editing apps. Then, when COVID happened, I took a break. This affected my views, which till date I am still struggling to get back the progress I made. My advice is to not take a break, but think about investing first on apps as they are cheaper. Keep uploading as your channel is relatively new. The gadgets will come but first get to your milestone.

• Love
Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
M

Mrnace

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have my new lens and have started making new videos.