• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News Police blaring copyrighted music to prevent users from uploading videos to YouTube

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
More and more police are using a controversial strategy so that video uploads to YouTube about the police are NOT successful.

Essentially, most people know that YT has very aggressive measures to detect copyright violations. More and more police are blaring loud copyrighted music so that if anyone records a video about the police and then tries to upload it, the background music will trigger YT copyright violation measures.

Essentially, the police are using YT's mechanism against the general public to prevent users from sharing videos about what police are doing. There are several articles below that explain this controversial strategy used by many police departments.

Citizens have the First Amendment right to record what the police do publicly but if they play loud music, it makes it hard to post to YouTube which is an abuse of the YT copyright detection system.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I heard about that, pretty funny. It still counts as fair use since you are in public and are not intentional in the use of the music, so it can be appealed. Strange way to try and circumvent the scrutiny.

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I think only the most determined and knowledgeable people will go through the YT appeal process. Casual users of YT will probably get stopped in their tracks pretty quickly.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I think only the most determined and knowledgeable people will go through the YT appeal process. Casual users of YT will probably get stopped in their tracks pretty quickly.
Very true... and this will help to curb some of the tools who enjoy posting out of context vids for the sake of virality.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
If I had a video like that, the music would likely make me more inclined to post it. I would point out that the cops did it intentionally. And if BMG wants to claim the revenue.. that will probably just get the video that much more exposure. I am convinced the bigger companies get promoted more by YT. It makes the cops look bad, and gets promoted more - a win win.

Reactions: MattCommand1