• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Will they Monetize the video even if I'm not? (Copyright Question)

MisterRowell

Hello . Noobie question here: I'm not planning on ever monetizing my channel or content but if I have say a Star Wars gaming video (with commentary and whatnot) that gets a copyright spanking because of the Theme Music... will the owner/company be able to monetize the video (therefore enabling ads on it, which is part of my reason for me not monetizing in the first place), and will that endanger me of my channel being removed? As I am not monetizing channel/content myself I am not trying to make money off of copyrighted material, therefore I would hope to be under the radar against any infringement or potential lawsuit. Am I correct in this thinking or totally not understanding the copyright infringement and monetization standards?

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Copyright cares about usage, not monetization.
YouTube has the right to place ads on any video they want, whether you are monetized or not.

It is up to the copyright holder whether they allow your vids to stay up. In a lot of cases, the copyright holder will claim the revenue. Some copyright holders are lax and will never notice or care what you post. Some are ruthless and will claim every vid they can. Some will just give you a strike and get the video taken down. If you get 3 strikes in 90 days, YT will ban your channel. The risk is up to you...