• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Should I delete my old videos that have low views

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So I started my channel as a vlog channel originally a couple of years ago and it seemed like nobody cared lol So I kinda transitioned to doing unboxing videos that do pretty decent and I would also do gaming content..I kinda wanted to do retro game stuff but I randomly started doing beard videos and they seem to do well and are getting more and more views recently..So my channel is kinda all over the place from unboxings to gaming to beard stuff..I like to upload different things but should I just delete my old vlogs from years ago that have like really low views and just kind of redo my channel as a beard channel..I need help =(

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
So I started my channel as a vlog channel originally a couple of years ago and it seemed like nobody cared lol So I kinda transitioned to doing unboxing videos that do pretty decent and I would also do gaming content..I kinda wanted to do retro game stuff but I randomly started doing beard videos and they seem to do well and are getting more and more views recently..So my channel is kinda all over the place from unboxings to gaming to beard stuff..I like to upload different things but should I just delete my old vlogs from years ago that have like really low views and just kind of redo my channel as a beard channel..I need help =(
No, just leave them up. Even if you were hyper-focused on a single niche I would advise to leave them up. They aren't hurting anything unless one or two are bringing in a LOT of subscribers that are specifically not going to be interested in current content. If that is the case I would make that video unlisted.

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
No I'd say don't since everyone can see how you've progressed and those videos could drive potential views and subscribers so keep them up.

OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, just let then stay up.
You don't think it will mess up the way youtube sees my channel..like in my analytics where it says your audience is also viewing these channels is blank lol So I feel like since I have old vlogs, taste testing videos, and gaming and now beard stuff that youtube doesn't know what kind of niche my channel is or related channels to mine. Would making the low-view videos of like 40 to 100 view videos unlisted or private help youtube understand my channel more?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Dude, you're over complicating it. Leave your current videos up, then crank out tons of new content based on whatever direction you plan to go in. Once you have a 1,000 videos up, YouTube won't have any problem figuring out what your channel is about.

Reactions: Jeff Goober
OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
No, just leave them up. Even if you were hyper-focused on a single niche I would advise to leave them up. They aren't hurting anything unless one or two are bringing in a LOT of subscribers that are specifically not going to be interested in current content. If that is the case I would make that video unlisted.
I put most of my videos in a playlist like all my vlogs which I don't do anymore are in a vlog playlist and so on..So I kind of organize them all but I just feel like youtube doesn't know what to consider my channel since I do so many things.

OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Dude, you're over complicating it. Leave your current videos up, then crank out tons of new content based on whatever direction you plan to go in. Once you have a 1,000 videos up, YouTube won't have any problem figuring out what your channel is about.
I am a HUGE overthinker :joy:o_O I will do that, thanks for the response

Reactions: Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I put most of my videos in a playlist like all my vlogs which I don't do anymore are in a vlog playlist and so on..So I kind of organize them all but I just feel like youtube doesn't know what to consider my channel since I do so many things.
Oh yeah... YouTube has no idea what your channel is about... but mostly that's because you don't even know what your channel is about. (And that's not a knock on you... you're an artist. Go be an artist).

The channel is about you and your personality. You are going to have a more difficult time utilizing the YouTube discovery systems because you can not focus YouTube into one single category of viewers. But those who do subscribe are going to get and appreciate the personality that they are subscribing for, that doesn't change. Honestly, that's how Mr. Beast did it too.

But one thing to be aware of... at some point you are going to have a single video that is going to pop. And you are going to have to decide whether to stick to that style of video and that type of content in order to grow your channel faster, or continue what you have been doing at a much slower pace.

OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Oh yeah... YouTube has no idea what your channel is about... but mostly that's because you don't even know what your channel is about. (And that's not a knock on you... you're an artist. Go be an artist).

The channel is about you and your personality. You are going to have a more difficult time utilizing the YouTube discovery systems because you can not focus YouTube into one single category of viewers. But those who do subscribe are going to get and appreciate the personality that they are subscribing for, that doesn't change. Honestly, that's how Mr. Beast did it too.

But one thing to be aware of... at some point you are going to have a single video that is going to pop. And you are going to have to decide whether to stick to that style of video and that type of content in order to grow your channel faster, or continue what you have been doing at a much slower pace.
I have 1 videos that has over 100k views but it's like 6 years old and it was like a comedy parody that I randomly did one night..I never paid attention to my analytics in the beginning for the longest time so I had no idea when the video actually took off..I remember I was looking through my old videos and was like WTF!!! I still get comments and views from that video lol I guess I could do maybe a part 2 to that video lol

Last edited:

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I have 1 videos that has over 100k views but it's like 6 years old and was like a comedy parody that I randomly did one night..I never paid attention to my analytics in the beginning for the longest time so I had no video when it actually took off..I remember I was looking through my old videos and was like wth lol I still get comments and views from that video lol I guess I could do maybe a part 2 to that video lol
That's funny, my brother had one like that in 2014, well before he ever did YouTube. A mutual friend and him used to harass me constantly when I first started on YouTube about how I needed to do things. And then I made a video that beat his and I was able to do it on purpose... and then I made another... lol

Long story short; it took a couple years but he backed down and admits I know what I'm doing now. The friend I'm afraid is more the jealous type, doesn't talk to me any more.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man, that's sad about the jealous friend. Envy is a deadly sin to say the least.
Yeah it really sucks. We were close; friends in high school, we played in a band together, his daughter is friends with my daughter. I worked with him and then later with his wife. For a while it got to a point where it was just kinda understood I shouldn't talk about anything YouTube; that conversation became taboo. Then one day they just stopped talking to us. Haven't heard from him in three years.

I really hate to say it, but it's kinda one of those situations where you can 'only be as successful as your five closest friends.' When we were on the same page everything was fine, but gradually we started slipping away... we bought a house, my channel was performing really well (compared to his music). He didn't handle that well and got real aggressive about it.

• Wow
Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
That's funny, my brother had one like that in 2014, well before he ever did YouTube. A mutual friend and him used to harass me constantly when I first started on YouTube about how I needed to do things. And then I made a video that beat his and I was able to do it on purpose... and then I made another... lol

Long story short; it took a couple years but he backed down and admits I know what I'm doing now. The friend I'm afraid is more the jealous type, doesn't talk to me any more.
The friend mad as hell now lol

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah it really sucks. We were close; friends in high school, we played in a band together, his daughter is friends with my daughter. I worked with him and then later with his wife. For a while it got to a point where it was just kinda understood I shouldn't talk about anything YouTube; that conversation became taboo. Then one day they just stopped talking to us. Haven't heard from him in three years.

I really hate to say it, but it's kinda one of those situations where you can 'only be as successful as your five closest friends.' When we were on the same page everything was fine, but gradually we started slipping away... we bought a house, my channel was performing really well (compared to his music). He didn't handle that well and got real aggressive about it.
He should be happy for you and sees that you are doing good and he can get some tips and stuff but instead got mad o_O we are all in this together