• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Yay YouTube! I wonder if this has anything to do with the slowness of my views?

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
53 of 88 videos of my own personally written horror stories are in restricted mode. This is funny because when I write a story I typically do not swear in the story. Only one is marked as mature by me because it has content that most people might not like. That was my choice. These others are mostly just horror stories, many of them just more scary than horror. I have to put these through the form to see if they will approve them in the regular audience. Note that "restricted mode" is not the mature flag, it is usually used at libraries and hospitals or other public places just in case the content has swear words or content that might not be suitable for everyone. Honestly, if someone is looking for 'scary stories' or 'horror stories' they should be able to find that and not have more than half of my stories land in restricted mode.

It makes me wonder if this is why I am not seen a lot of the times. The 'restricted' videos get half as many views as the others within 48 to 72 hours normally and I have to go spend that time fighting youtube's ridiculous system by filling out their form and waiting several weeks for a response. They really need to fix this.

If you want to see if your videos are in restricted mode, login to another account or create an incognito window in chrome then scroll down to restricted mode on the main menu. It's easiest to view when you pull up a playlist.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 2.25.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 2.25.03 PM.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm so annoyed right now. They changed it. Last night when I was on twitter discussing this with their creator support suddenly you cannot see the videos labeled "this video may be inappropriate" and instead all you see is "55 videos are not available to you" - Now it's even harder to see what is hidden.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Can you DM me the URL to one of those videos? I'd like to look at something.

OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
Can you DM me the URL to one of those videos? I'd like to look at something.

OK I sent it thanks. It wasn't one from that specific playlist. Should I send that instead? It's all the same for most of my videos. I had filled out the restricted video form last night on those videos in the playlist so it might not be a good test. The one I sent is a newer one.

It was funny, I was watching another channel's how to get subs and ask questions today and I hadn't turned off restricted mode from testing. Their live video was in restricted mode lol lol I'm going to make one mature and see if it gives out a different message. *it gives the same error as a video that was place in 18+ only mode. that's a bad thing for YT to do. Gives off the wrong impression.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I did a little research into this... turns out I had a few restricted videos as well that I was not aware of (thank you for the head's up!). These videos are going to get reduced impressions and run the risk of reduced ad play as well. I compared several similar videos to see the differences between restricted and non-restricted videos. My sample size was not very big, but I did have a couple very similar videos to compare. I saw a minor difference in the amount of impressions provided for my restricted video (it had about 8% less impressions than the non-restricted sample despite almost exact same length, retention and target audience). The CPM's for that video were about 60% less than those of it's non-restricted companions, which is about what I would have expected.

It turns out that this was because the word 'Tequila' was central to the metadata, title etc.

Sadly, this makes sense. When an advertiser purchases ad time on YouTube they are provided with a list of things that they can choose to align their ad with or not. It stands to reason that in a vacuum, if they are provided a list and they want to the best audience possible they are likely going to avoid paying for traffic to anything alcohol related. I didn't get the yellow check, I am not being punished. My video simply isn't catering to the audience that the advertisers are spending the most money on.

I think you are likely to be suffering the same. Words like 'Devil'' are not going to get you a DMCA or yellow-card. But they are also not going to be the things that advertisers specifically want to pay for. And of course people with 'content sensitivities' are going to be more likely to want to avoid words like 'Devil' as well.

Their loss. You make good content and I wouldn't let this get you down. Be aware of these inner workings, maybe don't use them quite as often in your target metadata. but also understand that this is going to get you a slightly more refined audience that is going to be a little more in-tune with you and your content and in the long run that may end up being beneficial. The more you can get YouTube to give you a hyper-focused, specific core audience the easier it is for them to recommend your content.

• Love
Reactions: spookyboo
OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for looking. I think everyone should be looking too because it surprises people sometimes with unusual results. I still do get monetized on them but they're not seen at public places like hospitals, libraries, or other places where it is turned off. I'm going to start putting my personally written stories and books on amazon so this will be another avenue for bringing people to watch the videos. Most of my traffic is from the outside after people who have been subbed for years. Also, 99% of the time when I fight these restricted videos, I win. It happens with almost anything I do. I'm going to try one without keywords and see what happens. Oh, and my profile is restricted as well. I'll get there somehow even if I have to write a few novels to do it.

OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
TAGS

#spookyboo #scarystorytime spooky boo scary stories creepypasta scary stories ritual pastas scary and terrifying disturbing ritual creepypasta stories rituals scary stories about dolls scary doll rituals scary dolls on youtube creepypasta dolls creepypasta doll spookybooscarystorytime compialaton creepypasta compilation compilation of scary stories compilation of horror stories compilation of creepypasta stories scary story compilation horror story compilation

it's either terrifying, terrified, disturbing, or horror. this other story says nothing about devil, alcohol, etc nor do i swear in the story. there is a list that someone tested with of words that are bad and might get you demonetized. most are naughty or racist words. there are very few horror words on there but i wonder if it is the same thing. most of them i fight and win so who knows. it ruins my first 48 hours. oh and if you edit the video, it goes right back so you have to fight it again :/

OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I have a problem with getting subscribers to my channel, even though I posted my videos
There's a review section somewhere on here where you post your link after doing a review of another channel that has been posted. Personally, I rarely click on videos from the youtube watch page ever, I use the search feature and probably wouldn't find these videos because the titles aren't in English. I only know words in other languages that probably aren't allowed in YouTube titles :)