• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News Are we taking Youtube for Granted? (Vimeo increasing bandwidth charges for most popular creators)

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Vimeo, video hosting alternative to YouTube, is changing its direction and no longer wants to be regarded as the YT-alternative and going after the corporate market. However, early creators (like me years ago) are going to suffer for their decision to go with Vimeo.

I noticed Vimeo was starting to jack the fees a bit around a few years ago but I cut the cord 2 years ago on Vimeo. I was forced to delete a ton of videos because I was unwilling to continue with their increased fees.

It seems if you are a very popular creator on Vimeo, you will be punished for having too many views because those creators are consuming a disproportionate amount of bandwidth (which in the real world costs money).

However, YT flipped the script by allowing creators to monetize. So, the best creators generate the most ad revenues and more eyeballs to Youtube and the creator is financially rewarded. With Vimeo, those days are over. If you are too popular and too successful, creators will have to pay more for all the bandwidth being used.

This story is illustrative of why we should be mindful YouTube does some of what it does to allow mainstream creators and users "free" access to their video hosting infrastructure. Video hosting resources and bandwidth costs are very real and we rarely think about it on YT because YT has hidden that from its creators and users.

Everyone wants "free" video hosting but there is a real cost for it. Vimeo creators are now going to get punished for their decisions. I too was punished by dividing up my time in hosting content on both Vimeo & Youtube.

However, I do worry about all the videos I produce live exclusively on YT. I have a copy of them to upload elsewhere if need be but it would be terrible if YouTube were to drastically change its ways. I however don't see that happening in the near future.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
Considering YouTube is owned by Google I don't think they're too concerned about it. If they are, they'll just lower our adsense and take even more of it from us. Vimeo is tiny compared to Alphabet/Google/YouTube/etc

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
YouTube, I am grateful. It's like having smooth well-lit roads to drive on. you just don't think about it until you have to hack you way through the jungle wit ha machete.

I am grateful too. Google really changed my professional life in so many good ways. I should have spent more time on YT earlier than wasting my time on Vimeo. Fortunately, I got out when I did but I should have gotten out MUCH EARLIER.

Although I am not yet monetized, I am already feeling some differences professionally and personally by the fact I actually have a channel and it is growing.

I have my own web hosting VPS and I couldn't imagine having to pay to deal with the video infrastructure YouTube provides us for "free".

Google & YT are by no means perfect and they get some of my personal data but I have no problems saying that (for me) Google has been a tremendous net benefit for me (and many people) over the years.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Indeed, the average creator doesn't appreciate what they get from YouTube. They expect everything to be given to them for free right now. With zero effort.

Reactions: MattCommand1

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
To me videos are just a hobby - I am gloriously retired (gloriously underfunded ha ha). YouTube provides a huge service at no cost to the creator or viewer. As much as I hate ads, they serve a great purpose. As a hobby, YT is great. I used to build model trains, I could easily, and regularly, drop a thousand dollars on new toys in a month. YT is the cheapest hobby I have ever had... and sometimes they even pay me. I always try to stand up for them, and get accused of being a fanboy.

Reactions: MattCommand1