• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Older Videos Causing Confusion?

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
So, I have some "friends" who decided it would be a great idea to go and watch all of my old videos, which are on completely different topics than what I do now. They've also screen recorded these videos, but thats a different topic.

Anyway, by them watching these videos, and them getting a sudden spike of views, is this going to confuse the recommendation system and have it spreading my old videos? Cause the last thing I want is for my old videos to spread, and then people either react negatively to them, or like them, subscribe and then mess it up even more when they don't like what I post now.
If this is the case, I need to know, so I can unlist these now before its a problem. Plus, its creepy that they've recorded them, lol.

Reactions: Theory Guitar

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
So, I have some "friends" who decided it would be a great idea to go and watch all of my old videos, which are on completely different topics than what I do now. They've also screen recorded these videos, but thats a different topic.

Anyway, by them watching these videos, and them getting a sudden spike of views, is this going to confuse the recommendation system and have it spreading my old videos? Cause the last thing I want is for my old videos to spread, and then people either react negatively to them, or like them, subscribe and then mess it up even more when they don't like what I post now.
If this is the case, I need to know, so I can unlist these now before its a problem. Plus, its creepy that they've recorded them, lol.

Any video at any time can spread and go viral. It's just like any post you have done. If you never want this happening then unlist the video. With that said, people who know the videos are there can still pass out your URL because anyone who has the URL can see the unlisted video or make clips out of them so the other way to do it is by making them private or deleting them. If you are trying to get monetized and your old videos have a lot of hits then deleting them will affect your progress.

eella

No offense, but the channel is still too young to worry about such things. Just delete those videos and be done with it. You can see your serious approach and diligence, I wish you good luck. If you want to develop faster and improve your statistics, I advise you to watch a couple of AIR Creators Ecosystem meetups, such as How to use key metrics to create a growth plan. It helped me to understand many technical subtleties. Now I put a lot into practice and see significant progress.

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
What you are talking about is called "Flipping" your channel. Flipping your channel can be a negative thing, especially if it is in the wrong direction. However, I do not think a hand full of friends watching old videos will be able to flip your channel. Having said that. If your old videos have nothing to do with the direction you want your channel to go, it might not be a bad idea to unlist them or even move them to another channel. YouTube really does not like variety channels. They want channels that focus on an extremely specific topic. Variety channels screw their algorithms up big time.