• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News TikTok to Expand Max Video Length

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
So, in all the discussions about how YT is trying to compete with TikTok via #shorts, it looks like TT is taking a step towards YouTube's and Instagram's direction. I've run into a couple of articles that state that TikTok is going to expand its maximum video length from 1 minute to 10 minutes! That is big news.

Because TikTok is vertical videos, I see them as going more after Instagram but it also steps a bit into YT's space. TT is a much closer match to IG. Both have vertical videos and both already appeal to an audience with shorter video lengths. The maximum video length on Instagram is 10 minutes from what I have read.

As I see it, almost all the major social media platforms are NOT staying with the super-short videos. That gives a lot of credence to longer-form videos. There seems to be some acceptance and desire to accommodate both creators and viewers that want more meat in their videos, not just 30-second cotton candy videos.

As far as I am concerned, the fact that TikTok is expanding the maximum video length makes me feel even better focusing on YT as my primary base of reaching contacts and expanding my network. YT is the master of accommodating creators of long-form videos. We all want more subscribers but I also feel the DEPTH of relationships with viewers matters. You can't get that if everything you talk about or show is under 60 seconds. That is why Ytubers care about AVD and how far viewers will stick with you into the videos. These are all things YT creators care about. It is great for relationship building and personal branding on a deeper level.

Additionally, YT is the only platform that is making serious inroads on TV. I watch YT with its horizontal videos on Roku TV. I don't see anyone else coming close to doing that.

Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
In my opinion, the concept of short videos is meant to give just a nugget of entertainment and considering this is being done by millions of people at once you have to assume there is only so many videos that can be made short before it starts repeating and becoming old. Whereas long videos don't necessarily suffer from this entirely. You can change format, style and genre and still keep going. With short videos changing anything can easily make your audience lose interest because they expect specific things in just bursts from you.

Reactions: Damon

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I'm not sure tik tok's making a great decision there, they've got a style that really works, they might mess up everything by doing that.

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree with you, Matt. TikTok has expanded to 10 minutes. If you don't do a whole lot on TT, you may not know that there are some serious creators on there making serious content, not just visual crack stuff. There are lawyers that give legal commentary on current events and stuff like that. TT now has the biggest viewership of any streaming platform and is gunning for YT viewers. TikTok supports horizontal video encased in a vertical format as you can see in the screenshot below, which provides space for titles in the header and footer. I think it is only a matter of time before TT will support full HD horazontal video. TT built an audience based on visual crack, and now they are converting their platform slowly to a more serious video venue. YT has agreat base of creators, but if other platforms offer creators better opportunity, they will move. YT needs to stay ahead of the game.

1657157425690.png

Attachments

• 1657157404438.png
    1657157404438.png
    908.6 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
If you don't do a whole lot on TT, you may not know that there are some serious creators on there making serious content, not just visual crack stuff. There are lawyers that give legal commentary on current events and stuff like that. TT now has the biggest viewership of any streaming platform and is gunning for YT viewers. TikTok supports horizontal video encased in a vertical format as you can see in the screenshot below, which provides space for titles in the header and footer. I think it is only a matter of time before TT will support full HD horizontal video. TT built an audience based on visual crack, and now they are converting their platform slowly to a more serious video venue. YT has a great base of creators, but if other platforms offer creators better opportunity, they will move. YT needs to stay ahead of the game.

Obviously, TT made some right moves but I credit the early creators for taking the chance and paving the way to make "serious content". I thank those creators or leading the way.

I hate to admit that I was unable to see how "serious content" could be created in an ocean of juvenile content without some example or inspiration to draw from.

And it has only been recently I have seen verticals being encased with a horizontal video using the black bar space for text, commentary, etc to support the video.

I got some thinking and processing to do in light of these new insights.

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Obviously, TT made some right moves but I credit the early creators for taking the chance and paving the way to make "serious content". I thank those creators or leading the way.

I hate to admit that I was unable to see how "serious content" could be created in an ocean of juvenile content without some example or inspiration to draw from.

And it has only been recently I have seen verticals being encased with a horizontal video using the black bar space for text, commentary, etc to support the video.

I got some thinking and processing to do in light of these new insights.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the TT app allows you to easily crop a vertical video out of a horizontal video. This is something that is complex to do in a desktop editor, but is a function that is built right into the TT app. Another function of the TT app is the ability to arbitrarily freely rotate a video. Say you want to rotate the video frame 5 degrees to get some kind of effect. No problem. I have never needed this function, but the fact that it can be done with ease in the TT app is quite impressive if you really understand the technical complexity of doing this.

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
One thing I forgot to mention is that the TT app allows you to easily crop a vertical video out of a horizontal video. This is something that is complex to do in a desktop editor, but is a function that is built right into the TT app. Another function of the TT app is the ability to arbitrarily freely rotate a video. Say you want to rotate the video frame 5 degrees to get some kind of effect. No problem. I have never needed this function, but the fact that it can be done with ease in the TT app is quite impressive if you really understand the technical complexity of doing this.

Those are very cool features indeed. I do my own editing and I.T. support so I appreciate the technical stuff. I am sure YT is cognizant of the many features they don't yet have for creators. They have a ways to go to on certain features.

JohnBulgaria

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
I think for new creators TikTok is the way to go. A few months ago when I had a TikTok I hit around 1 million views in just 1 week. I never made it on YouTube. Not sure how the whole monetization thing works on TikTok tho

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I think for new creators TikTok is the way to go. A few months ago when I had a TikTok I hit around 1 million views in just 1 week. I never made it on YouTube. Not sure how the whole monetization thing works on TikTok tho

What are you posting that is generating so many views? What is your TT account?

JohnBulgaria

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
What are you posting that is generating so many views? What is your TT account?
I had it deleted a few months ago, because someone got insulted and complained at my job. A took a few months break for things to calm down. Well I have a turtle and it speaks and trolls people. I post a video, instantly got 50K views

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I had it deleted a few months ago, because someone got insulted and complained at my job. A took a few months break for things to calm down. Well I have a turtle and it speaks and trolls people. I post a video, instantly got 50K views

You have made several broad statements of your huge post successes. I am sure I am not the only one who is curious about what you are posting so we can learn from your experiences. However, your YT account and your TT account have no videos to show what you are doing.

You certainly don't have to explain or prove yourself to anyone but when you drop a bomb and say that you posted a video that earned 1 million views but have no account or example to show anyone, your statement falls empty. Some might be skeptical.

For me, any video that cannot remain in the public eye screams of suspicion. There might be something inappropriate about the video if you cannot leave it up. For most of us, gaining a million views on a video only to later have to hide it for whatever reason is not helpful. Most of us are working hard to build long-lasting, monetizing channels, not simply post viral videos for bragging rights. None of my videos are anywhere close to your views but my channel is monetizing now and it is gaining me benefits beyond just the monetization. I don't have to hide any videos because all of them are compliant to YT community rules and generally non-controversial.

If your job is complaining about your channel and videos, you should probably adopt a pen name or stage name for your channels, not your real name. You can maintain anonymity if you are not showing your face. It has been done before.

Having "secret" videos is not what most of us channel builders are after. But we are more than willing to learn from your example and gain insights if you are willing to unhide your videos.

Reactions: JohnBulgaria

JohnBulgaria

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
If there's history for former TikTok accounts, like stats and such, I can give you my previous username.

Yeah, definitely this time won't be showing my face and I'm using an alias. Well basically I responded to other users, channels and celebrities with trolling, like mocked them. I didn't even put hashtags besides #fyp and #foryou

The algorithm picked me up. Didn't work on YouTube tho even tho I duplicated everything on both platforms so the algorithm must be different

Also not sure if it plays a role but content was in Bulgarian and viewers were from Bulgaria mainly, lower competition maybe since we're a 6 million country?

JohnBulgaria

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
From yesterday. All videos were uploaded last night. Here's your proof. I'm doing it all again

IMG_20220805_140212.jpg

IMG_20220805_140122.jpg

JohnBulgaria

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Some stats from the two best performing videos so far, both uploaded 10 hours ago. Starting to get more traction with every minute

Screenshot_20220805-151216_TikTok.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-151241_TikTok.jpg