• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Question Keyword Explorer and how it works???

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Let's say I have a name for a series I want to do...

For example [this is made up]:

"Fun With Dogs"

Now imagine the keyword explorer gives that a brilliant score...

BUT I want each video to have more [and to make each one unique] in the title

So I might want to call one, "Fun With Dogs, top places to take them on a hot day" [yeah, all still made up as an example for this question]

Now the Keyword Explorer score has drastically dropped........

I don't want the title to just be "Fun with dogs" and I can't call all the videos the same name....

How does keyword explorer work... I mean will I still get the benefit of the high score [for those three starting words] if I add the rest of the description... or does it not work that way?

As I can work to get a good name for the series of videos - but when I add more words to the main title - it just destroys the numbers/SEO scores

Does anyone else have series names - and do they work?

I have thought of having the series name on the Thumbnail... and NOT in the description. I know that defies the point in having good SEO as the title in no longer text in the title... but then I can work on each title separately and people can see from the thumbnails that this video is part of this series...

I realise the idea is to niche down... but I have a few different series I want to run from the same channel - keep it obvious with graphics/style which is which - but keep channel identify at the same time... so everyone knows what it is before the click

Anyway - really just keen for advice about the keyword explorer

Thanks xx

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I almost always do a separate keyword for every video. I just keep trying keywords, applicable to the vid, and try to get one with a good score. Then I work my SEO around that keyword (or more likely keyphrase). On a limited series I may reuse the keyword sometimes, but I try not to as a general rule.

But for your example, if you want to reuse 'fun with dogs' you can - just add more to each video title. Use the same keyword, but build a title around it.
"Fun With Dogs, top places to take them on a hot day"
"Fun With Dogs, playing catch"
"Fun With Dogs, eating ice cream"

I have a 28 video series on building our house, from 2015/2016, and it was a big performer but has dropped a lot in the last couple years. This was posted before I did SEO or keyword research (I did not have TubeBuddy at all back then). I have been thinking about finding a good keyphrase for the series and do some SEO work on all of them. On that series I am thinking of doing the same keyword, but add something to each title. It is an old series, so no loss in trying.

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Thanks

Using my example...

I already plan to have text designed with the words 'Fun With Dogs' - which will be the only words on all the thumbnails... so all the thumbnails will have the series name on it...

The rest of the thumbnail will just be photos/graphics

The question is whether to have that text also in the description of all the videos.

The reason to - is SEO and branding [or inner branding, so if you like that series then when my channel drops a video you know it's from that series, or if you don't like that series - you can avoid that video and not click on it to then insta close the video when you find out it's the series you don't like]

The reason not to - is SEO... as the score could be 100% without the extra words 'Fun With Dogs' - according to Keyword Explorer maybe "top places to take them on a hot day" could be a 100% score... but with 'fun with dogs' it might drop to 42%

Argh

Hmm.

Anyway I don't have a dog or dogs... but I kind of want to make a series called 'fun with dogs' now... anybody want to lend me some dogs?

x

thanks for your help

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You can include the text... YouTube is going to consider all possible iterations of that title. And they are also going to give consideration to things which are very similar and that other people who search for 'Fun With Dogs' also search for. So...

Will include the individual keyword phrases:
fun With dogs top places to take them on a hot day
fun with dogs
dogs top places to take them

as well as consideration for:
dogs on a hot day
fun on a hot day
can dogs sweat

That doesn't mean you'll necessarily rank for these but at the very least when you first publish your video YouTube is going to include it with as many 'like terms' as they see fit in order to gather data on your video. And you can rank for terms that you don't ever include in your metadata... what you put into the metadata is a higher-priority target for YouTube to consider.

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
So the explorer will show what the words [in theory might] score

But when you add to it - it [explorer] can't take out smaller parts of what you wrote and show you what those will score...

so - it's good to look at the parts separately in keyword explorer...

If I saw, 'fun with dogs' and what ever the next part was for example 'teaching them simple card tricks' - and both scored well... I am not going to be 'penalised' for then putting them both into the same title...

And better still - hopefully the algorithm will pick up both separate parts and maybe use them both to show the video

If that's the case - it feels better - as I keep feeling like I am corrupting the titles - to get a better score, but they end up reading and feeling less interesting/good on a human level... hmm not that I should care about humans - now I seem to be trying to get my views exclusively from dogs

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
The algorithm will pick up both seperate parts. With the KE you will need to search each individually for a precise score.

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Cool thanks

This is probably a silly question...

But does it matter if you use a "," a "|" or nothing?

I mean is Youtube clever enough that these all work the same way:

"Fun With Dogs (top places to take them on a hot day)"
"Fun With Dogs | top places to take them on a hot day"

or plain old <and maybe best looking>

"Fun With Dogs top places to take them on a hot day"

With my video series - I may look to having the series at the end, so in this example I may change the words slightly and it could look like this:

"Top places to you dog take them on a hot day (Fun With Dogs Ep 07)"

As if when the video is listed - I'm not that worried if the last part "(Fun With Dogs Ep 07)" isn't featured on screen... as I think only 70 characters are actually featured. But that's fine... then anyone who loves my dog series - can see when watching the video - it's episode 7 in a series and choose to watch the others or a play list...

I realise these questions may not have answers that are known... as maybe YouTube keeps some of this a secret [as they don't want the more angle-y people finding loop holes or exploiting things]

Thanks again xx

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
YouTube does not take into account special characters. So no, comma's, ampersand's etc do not reflect in your search ranks.

There are catches to this... but they are not worth explaining. To keep the conversation simple let's just say that these characters do not make a difference.

Reactions: MattCommand1