• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News Manual intervention of YouTube Recommendation system (Ukraine-Russia war)

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
This is big news. In light of the recent Ukraine-Russia War, it appears that YT is manually stepping in to override the natural YT recommendation system. I would normally put a link to the source but there is no way I can find to do so to this fast moving live feed. So, I am doing a rare thing by doing a "cut and paste" of the CNN live update.

YouTube blocks RT in Ukraine and prohibits it from monetizing its channels on the platform globally
From CNNΓÇÖs Brian Fung

YouTube has blocked Russian state media outlet RT from Ukraine and suspended its ability to monetize its content on the platform globally, the video giant said Saturday.
The move to restrict RT and several other Russian channels comes after the Ukrainian government asked YouTube to cut off access from within the country, YouTube told CNN.
In a statement, YouTube spokesperson Ivy Choi cited ΓÇ£extraordinary circumstances in UkraineΓÇ¥ for the companyΓÇÖs steps.
"In light of extraordinary circumstances in Ukraine, weΓÇÖre taking a number of actions,ΓÇ¥ Choi said. "WeΓÇÖre pausing a number of channelsΓÇÖ ability to monetize on YouTube, including several Russian channels affiliated with recent sanctions. We will be significantly limiting recommendations to these channels. And in response to a government request, weΓÇÖve restricted access to RT and a number of other channels in Ukraine. We will continue to monitor new developments and may take further actions.ΓÇ¥
YouTube also said that in recent days, it has removed hundreds of channels and thousands of videos that violated its policies, among them a number of channels that the company said were engaging in coordinated deception.
YouTubeΓÇÖs decision follows widespread criticism as journalists, activists and even a member of Congress noticed that the platform was running ads against content from RT.
A letter to YouTubeΓÇÖs parent Alphabet on Friday by Virginia Democratic Sen. Mark Warner said his staff was able to find instances of RTΓÇÖs monetization on YouTube, and that he had alerted the Departments of Justice and Treasury to a report about YouTube allowing sanctioned entities to monetize on YouTube as well.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's a great response from YouTube but sadly one that only happened because of a war and not simply because RT is a terrible Russian propaganda network that doesn't deserve access to YouTube. As usual profits were more important until war and death of the innocent happened. We'll have to see what happens once the war ends and who ends up victorious.

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, thats a good point. They shouldn't have to wait until theres a whole war going on to actually do something about this.

Is anyone else planning to talk about ways to support Ukraine in a video?

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, thats a good point. They shouldn't have to wait until theres a whole war going on to actually do something about this.

Is anyone else planning to talk about ways to support Ukraine in a video?

I am not going to make a video about it, but I am in communication with a missionary that runs an orphanage over there and aiding them in any way I can.

Last edited: