• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Big black sections on the right and left

Albercook

The original video was shot vertical. The edited version looks fine on computer before and after upload. The problem comes when I view it on my phone. At first it seems ok but when I switch to full screen it rotates and there are big black sections on either side. The video in the center is the correct aspect ratio for the screen but it is shrunken to fit the wrong way.

I didn't do the editing a friend did so I don't know what settings he used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That is the shadowbox YouTube uses to constraint your video to it's correct proportions when you rotate your phone. They are going to show your video in full; when you go full screen they have to reduce vertical videos to fit that screen while maintaining the orientation of the video.

Long story short this is the natural way that YouTube presents vertical videos on a horizontal screen.

OP
OP
A

Albercook

On a computer it looks just like all the others that are shorts. But on my phone it looks wrong.

Here are some screenshots.

Screenshot_20220224-115256.png
Looks fine until I switch to full screen.
Screenshot_20220224-115311.png

A friend edited the video for me so I don't have the version that he uploaded. Is there a way to determine what youtube thinks the aspect ratio is?

Last edited: