• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Looks like a Short. Sounds like a Short. Not a Short.

Albercook

I have posted several shorts to my channel that I made with the YouTube app. They were designated as shorts by the algorithm. I switched to editing videos with OpenShot and now they are not becoming shorts.
Here is an example. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Shorts videos are regular videos... the only difference between a 'Shorts' video and a VOD (Video on Demand or 'Regular' video) is that they are less than 60 seconds.

That's it.

What happens is that all videos less than 60 seconds get flagged by YouTube as Shorts content. Then YouTube indexes them by performance and includes them on the Shorts shelf. They give preference to videos that feature the #Shorts hashtag, are vertical and have been filmed using the YouTube Shorts Camera.

Your video is a 'Shorts' video. And there is some metric of the Shorts algorithm that takes into consideration past performance when determining the amount of initial impressions a new video will get on the Shelf. But that is about it. The short answer here (no pun intended) is that the video that you referenced here is simply not performing against the videos it is competing against on the Shelf, or YT hasn't indexed it for the shelf yet... something like that. You did nothing wrong, there was no mistake here and the thing that I would advise you focus on for future videos is to keep them around 16 seconds long (that's the average length for the best performing Shorts videos) and aim for a retention in the 300% range. Rewatched content and shares drive success for these videos.

Reactions: Damon

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I want to experiment with short horizontal videos but not a #short and fall into that whole ecosystem. So, essentially I have to make horizontal videos 61 seconds or more, right? That should keep me out of the whole #short ecosystem?

OP
OP
A

Albercook

The short answer here (no pun intended) is that the video that you referenced here is simply not performing against the videos it is competing against on the Shelf, or YT hasn't indexed it for the shelf yet... something like that.

How long does it take to index? I'm saying that it is not a short because I added a shorts section to my channel and it is not it that section. It is below under uploads.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
How long does it take to index? I'm saying that it is not a short because I added a shorts section to my channel and it is not it that section. It is below under uploads.

There is no set time. For some reason it seems to take about 3 days for most videos to hit the shelf, but I've seen them hit immediately and I recently saw one hit six months after it was published.