• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Other Counting YouTube As a Business

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
This is pretty off-topic, but I was wondering....What are the qualifications that you have to have to count YouTube as a business? Meaning, I'm not monetized on YouTube, but should I start saving my receipts for anything I pay for to make videos and count that as a business expense? Or do you actually have to make money in order to do that?

Hiking with Shawn

TubeBuddy Legend
This is pretty off-topic, but I was wondering....What are the qualifications that you have to have to count YouTube as a business? Meaning, I'm not monetized on YouTube, but should I start saving my receipts for anything I pay for to make videos and count that as a business expense? Or do you actually have to make money in order to do that?
Pending your tax situation, you can definitely write stuff off if your YouTube is a business.

If not, just start saving things to create it into habit. Besides, you can tally up how much you spend each year - I spend A LOT.

My channel is a part of my overall brand which has been a registered LLC for the past 3-years. I have trademarked 'Hiking with Shawn' and I have a business bank account and a federal EIN#. I've already had to pay taxes on some of my profits. I treat my brand as a business even if I don't make a lot, it makes me more motivated, though! :)

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
My channel is a part of my overall brand which has been a registered LLC for the past 3-years. I have trademarked 'Hiking with Shawn' and I have a business bank account and a federal EIN#. I've already had to pay taxes on some of my profits. I treat my brand as a business even if I don't make a lot, it makes me more motivated, though! :)

I already knew by your prior posts, you set things up as a business! Good on you!

• Love
Reactions: Damon

AndysSoncal

You don’t need to wait until you're monetized to start treating YouTube like a business. I began saving receipts for any gear or software I bought, even before I made money.