• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Why Has My Revenue Fallen So Much in One Month?

Debsterism

TubeBuddy Star
I got a notice from Google that my revenue fell 51% last month. I noticed one thing - they keep tagging all my videos as NOT FIT FOR ADVERTISERS, then i have to go BACK and get a human review, which is causing me to lose the first day or so of ad revenue. SMH. This KEEPS happening even though the content is rather innocuous, and I am interviewing professional authors, therapists, etc. for my special annual programming all month long.

Still increasing in subscribers steadily, but the number of views and revenue has fallen dramatically since last month after a steady climb. I am not doing anything differently - if anything I have MORE content with the special video every day program running. Anyone have some info that might help turn this around??

This is the video introducing the program - the 5th Annual event. I am seriously at a loss to understand what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Hello Debsterism,

I checked out your channel to look for clues. The thing that stands out the most is your ongoing use of "WTF" in your thumbnails and your titles. It seems to be a recurring theme in most of your videos.

You are not technically violating any YT guidelines from what I can tell but advertisers are going to be a bit gun-shy being associated with edgy language. It is entirely your call what you want to do but the easy fix is to get rid of the majority (or all) the uses of WTF in your titles and your thumbnails.

I am not sure if you actually use WTF in your videos or say it in your videos. That could create consternation with many advertisers also.

I make it a point to never use profanity and other controversial language because I don't want to bump up against certain issues and complaints. I am not a prude. I do use profanity in my personal life and very occasionally business life. But on video, forget it. No profanity in any of my videos on my channel.

I know a lot of Youtubers stay away from profanity simply because they want their videos to go to the widest audience possible.

Last edited:

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree with Matt. You are using vulgar language and that is offputting to advertisers. You may not be saying the word, but you are causing other people to "THINK" the word, and that is even worse. As Matt said, it is your choice to keep using this, but it will always cause you problems. It may be the way you talk. It may be the way your viewers talk. You may think there is nothing wrong with it and that it is normal. But the truth is, it is not and never will be an acceptable form of human communication for a general audience, and YouTube is a "General Audience".

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I got a notice from Google that my revenue fell 51% last month. I noticed one thing - they keep tagging all my videos as NOT FIT FOR ADVERTISERS, then i have to go BACK and get a human review, which is causing me to lose the first day or so of ad revenue. SMH. This KEEPS happening even though the content is rather innocuous, and I am interviewing professional authors, therapists, etc. for my special annual programming all month long.

Still increasing in subscribers steadily, but the number of views and revenue has fallen dramatically since last month after a steady climb. I am not doing anything differently - if anything I have MORE content with the special video every day program running. Anyone have some info that might help turn this around??

This is the video introducing the program - the 5th Annual event. I am seriously at a loss to understand what is going on.

I'm sorry but I had to delete the video link on your post because it violated the forum rules. Please do not share videos outside the designated areas. Thank you.

Reactions: Damon

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello Debsterism,

I checked out your channel to look for clues. The thing that stands out the most is your ongoing use of "WTF" in your thumbnails and your titles. It seems to be a recurring theme in most of your videos.

I was given the advice once of being careful with the title for my channel. I had a teacher in high school who used to say "stupid simple" a lot because he liked making education so easy it was stupid simple to learn. I was hoping to use stupid simple as a channel name for helping YouTubers with, well, stupid simple ways to improve their videos but I was advised that YouTube doesn't like words like stupid as it can be derogatory and therefore not a word that will get my channel shared by the YouTube algorithm much.

Reactions: Damon

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I was hoping to use stupid simple as a channel name for helping YouTubers with, well, stupid simple ways to improve their videos but I was advised that YouTube doesn't like words like stupid as it can be derogatory and therefore not a word that will get my channel shared by the YouTube algorithm much.

Yeah, there are a LOT of words, phrases, initials, etc. used in the wrong context that can become problematic. There are enough challenges as it is on YT without having to deal with potentially controversial channel names.

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, there are a LOT of words, phrases, initials, etc. used in the wrong context that can become problematic. There are enough challenges as it is on YT without having to deal with potentially controversial channel names.

Yes. One of my pet peeves is the word, ignorant. It is a very useful word in a conversation. As a person who is quad-lingual and multicultural, I use it contextually for what it is, which simply means, lacking in knowledge of something. For example, I am completely ignorant of how to do heart surgery. But in the US, Americans under this word strictly from the colloquial sense of it being an insult no matter how strongly you emphasize that it is being used in the proper sense. They hear the word ignorant and their rage meter goes through the roof and they attack. Trying to explain to them the reality that we are all far more ignorant than we are knowledgable (in that there is far more that we do not know than that which we do know), only makes them madder. So, in spite of the fact that the word ignorant is not an insult (if used properly), you cannot use it with Americans at all in any context.