• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Video intro question. Music or to the point first.

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
User name: TrVlogs
Title of thread: Video intro question. Music or to the point first.
Self review: Hello, I am making a new channel intro video this week. But wanted to know should I add the music & videos first? Or start it with me talking about me what to expect from the channel first then add the music & videos last. Most of the people who would look at my channels would mostly be males it makes a difference. I'm thinking of doing just a beat with the intro too due to the profanity in the music. The new video will be shorter & to the point.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://youtu.be/-8_HK3K1EbA

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/47435/

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I used to have a short 6-second intro for my channel but stopped using it over a year ago. So far, not one person has complained. LOL!

Think about it. What does an intro on a YT video say to you as a watcher? To me, it says, "This person is "Trying" too hard to look professional." At least for me, I started feeling silly about having one. I thought to myself "Who am I kidding? I am not a Hollywood production studio. I am just a normal guy that makes YouTube videos." I got rid of my intro and now I don't feel so silly, like I am trying to be something I am not.

To each his own. This is just how I feel about it.

OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
I used to have a short 6-second intro for my channel but stopped using it over a year ago. So far, not one person has complained. LOL!

Think about it. What does an intro on a YT video say to you as a watcher? To me, it says, "This person is "Trying" too hard to look professional." At least for me, I started feeling silly about having one. I thought to myself "Who am I kidding? I am not a Hollywood production studio. I am just a normal guy that makes YouTube videos." I got rid of my intro and now I don't feel so silly, like I am trying to be something I am not.

To each his own. This is just how I feel about it.
Hello, I'm sorry I mean not a video intro. Like a channel intro for like people who are not subscribed like the first video they see. I removed the video intro also sorry for the confusion can't edit my post topic.

Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I no longer have an intro at all, and my outro is 3 seconds long (my viewers compliment it). Depending on the video I may or may not use a hook. When I used the intro I could see the drop in retention. Many would skip ahead - I know I do. The last thing I want to watch is opening or closing credits. So I would say:
Get to the point, first and always.

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
You probably don't need an intro for all of your videos, it won't help you. An intro for your channel page could be good if it helps introduce your channel.

• Love
Reactions: TrVlogs

TOYFRIENDLY

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Really boils down to your preference man. Mine is a toy unboxing channel so I really think it's necessary to have a fun intro.

• Love

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello, I'm sorry I mean not a video intro. Like a channel intro for like people who are not subscribed like the first video they see. I removed the video intro also sorry for the confusion can't edit my post topic.

Thanks for the clarification. Again, I am going to refer to using yourself as the barometer as to what people like. Do you go to channel home pages? Do you like watching a channel promo/intro? How many times have you done this?

I have one and I think it is really good. It almost never gets watched. Do me a favor. Go to my channel home page and watch it and tell me what you think. Does it add something? Does it attract you to my channel? How does it make you feel about my channel?

• Love

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Ok... I think you get the award for longest intro ever. Here is my two cents on this:

1. That intro was absolute fire!!! It was freaking amazing!!! And then it just kept going... I lost interest after about 30 seconds... you ran that thing for 2:18. WAY too long. Ten seconds is too long. Your viewer does not have patience and they did not click on your video to see 25% of that video being an introduction.

2. If you keep me as a viewer and I subscribe I am DEFINITELY not sitting through that intro in another video. I'm skipping through. Look at your retention graphs, you are going to see a sharp decline in viewers in the very beginning of the video; you need to flatten that curve. Get to the point and don't waste their time.

Ok... I am going to leave that up because I feel this is all pertinent information but I am just seeing that you are asking about a Channel Trailer and not a video intro... seems to have been some confusion there. I'll continue with my thoughts on this:

Channel trailers are important because they let the viewer know exactly what they are getting in to with your content. If they are on your home page they are most likely going to look around, check out your thumbnails and banner and in about ten seconds they are going to make the decision to either click a video or bolt. A channel trailer is your way of hooking them in before they get the chance to make that decision. So if you are going to have one the intent of that video should be very specific; you want that to be the absolute best piece of content available on our channel. it needs to hook them immediately. it needs to create intrigue and foster a desire to watch more. Your 2:18 in the video above is solid; that is some banging content. Can you improve it? I think so. I think you waited too long to get to some of the cooler clips in the video. I think you could have cut the length of some of the other clips in half and you can definitely get more amazing b-roll to include. But that 2 minutes is a solid foundation for a really good Channel Trailer. I would suggest include some voice-over work (viewers are drawn to audio cues) and some color grading to really make those clips pop. Go ALL-IN on that series of clips... push the envelope and create the single best 2 minutes worth of content you've ever done.

• Love
OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the clarification. Again, I am going to refer to using yourself as the barometer as to what people like. Do you go to channel home pages? Do you like watching a channel promo/intro? How many times have you done this?

I have one and I think it is really good. It almost never gets watched. Do me a favor. Go to my channel home page and watch it and tell me what you think. Does it add something? Does it attract you to my channel? How does it make you feel about my channel?
Sorry about that thank you. However, yes your intro is amazing. I had to watch it all the way! The short cuts & clips. The music made is really intense.

• Love
OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Ok... I think you get the award for longest intro ever. Here is my two cents on this:

1. That intro was absolute fire!!! It was freaking amazing!!! And then it just kept going... I lost interest after about 30 seconds... you ran that thing for 2:18. WAY too long. Ten seconds is too long. Your viewer does not have patience and they did not click on your video to see 25% of that video being an introduction.

2. If you keep me as a viewer and I subscribe I am DEFINITELY not sitting through that intro in another video. I'm skipping through. Look at your retention graphs, you are going to see a sharp decline in viewers in the very beginning of the video; you need to flatten that curve. Get to the point and don't waste their time.

Ok... I am going to leave that up because I feel this is all pertinent information but I am just seeing that you are asking about a Channel Trailer and not a video intro... seems to have been some confusion there. I'll continue with my thoughts on this:

Channel trailers are important because they let the viewer know exactly what they are getting in to with your content. If they are on your home page they are most likely going to look around, check out your thumbnails and banner and in about ten seconds they are going to make the decision to either click a video or bolt. A channel trailer is your way of hooking them in before they get the chance to make that decision. So if you are going to have one the intent of that video should be very specific; you want that to be the absolute best piece of content available on our channel. it needs to hook them immediately. it needs to create intrigue and foster a desire to watch more. Your 2:18 in the video above is solid; that is some banging content. Can you improve it? I think so. I think you waited too long to get to some of the cooler clips in the video. I think you could have cut the length of some of the other clips in half and you can definitely get more amazing b-roll to include. But that 2 minutes is a solid foundation for a really good Channel Trailer. I would suggest include some voice-over work (viewers are drawn to audio cues) and some color grading to really make those clips pop. Go ALL-IN on that series of clips... push the envelope and create the single best 2 minutes worth of content you've ever done.
Thank you yea sadly I could not re-edit the tittle of this post lol. But thank you! My only issue with my intro is the profanity in the song, but it's the only one with short beat drops I can find without copyright. It was easy to edit to the beat. I'm making a new intro tonight. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Thank you yea sadly I could not re-edit the tittle of this post lol. But thank you! My only issue with my intro is the profanity in the song, but it's the only one with short beat drops I can find without copyright. It was easy to edit to the beat. I'm making a new intro tonight. Thank you so much for your feedback.
That is going to have an affect on your ability to monetize this video... not the biggest deal but you don't want that to have a long-term affect on your channel. I would check the captions of that video to see if Google has picked up on that or not as this can be a relevant issue. It's a good song for sure, great beat. Inevitably not worth it if it gets your channel flagged for limited ads (even if you are not yet monetized... this can prevent you from getting monetized).

Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
That is going to have an affect on your ability to monetize this video... not the biggest deal but you don't want that to have a long-term affect on your channel. I would check the captions of that video to see if Google has picked up on that or not as this can be a relevant issue. It's a good song for sure, great beat. Inevitably not worth it if it gets your channel flagged for limited ads (even if you are not yet monetized... this can prevent you from getting monetized).
Yea it sucks. I also notice after I started muting the cuss words out my views also went down. I had someone even comment saying "I'm not a child why are you muting the cuss words out.". It's sad but thanks to Youtube that's what I have to do now. Because apparently, only kids watch youtube lol. But it is what it is. But looking for a beat that has the same style drops. But it's hard to find. Thank you again for the feedback.