• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question HELP, I need advice!

Theory Guitar

Guitarist and YouTube Enthusiast
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Ok, so one of my friends who has a youtube channel does these reaction videos to Alip Ba Ta who is an Indonesion guitarist. He has grown his subscribers up to 11k with these type videos. He suggested I make a video reacting to Alip Ba Ta and I was like I am not really a guitar reaction channel I am a teaching channel so I probably wont make the video. A few days later I am losing subscribers and my view count has gone way down. So I decided to make the video and I posted it last night. I went to bed yesterday at 70 subs and this morning I am at 322 subscribers and the video has 3.9k views. Did I hurt my channel by making this video? I feel like all of those people who subscribed are not going to watch my other videos and just the ones that are reactions. What does everyone else think??

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Ok, so one of my friends who has a youtube channel does these reaction videos to Alip Ba Ta who is an Indonesion guitarist. He has grown his subscribers up to 11k with these type videos. He suggested I make a video reacting to Alip Ba Ta and I was like I am not really a guitar reaction channel I am a teaching channel so I probably wont make the video. A few days later I am losing subscribers and my view count has gone way down. So I decided to make the video and I posted it last night. I went to bed yesterday at 70 subs and this morning I am at 322 subscribers and the video has 3.9k views. Did I hurt my channel by making this video? I feel like all of those people who subscribed are not going to watch my other videos and just the ones that are reactions. What does everyone else think??

Until Stanley jumps in, I will take a stab at assessing your situation.

You obviously stumbled onto a hot topic by your reaction video of Alip Ba Ta. Not only that, the video generated a bunch of interesting comments. So congrats.

You say you are losing subscribers and view counts. That makes me suspicious. View counts don't just "disappear." Legitimate view counts stay with you long after the viewer is gone. You state you are losing subscribers. With these 2 factors happening at the same time, my suspicion is that some bots got to your channel and YT is doing something about it. If YT is removing these "bot subscribers" then the accompanying views are probably being removed also. As Stanley says, it happens.

If you are got bot subscribers and YT is doing something about it, just go along with it. They are doing you a favor by purging them.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe that you will go below 100 subscribers. As such, you will be eligible for a Custom URL so be on the lookout for that.

You were experimenting with the reaction video and you succeeded in triggering some responses. You can abandon the video and never follow-up. Or reaction videos may be part of your content bucket. In a way, your reactions can be an educational tool to others. You could also do a follow up video and analyze the play style of Alip Ba Ta. The thing is when I watched your video, you were being you. So, I think you are fine. You didn't have a freaky personality change. You simply tried something new and succeeded in getting some good traffic.

You should realize that very few subscribers will watch EVERY video you produce. I would not worry that much about it. Your initial subscribers are still in there. However, you currently have a wider base to work with.

Personally, I would be curious to see how you do with a follow up! A lot of your commenters wrote they want another reaction video. All in all, I think this event was a great learning event for you! I don't think harm is going to be done, if any.

Reactions: Theory Guitar
OP
OP
Theory Guitar

Theory Guitar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Until Stanley jumps in, I will take a stab at assessing your situation.

You obviously stumbled onto a hot topic by your reaction video of Alip Ba Ta. Not only that, the video generated a bunch of interesting comments. So congrats.

You say you are losing subscribers and view counts. That makes me suspicious. View counts don't just "disappear." Legitimate view counts stay with you long after the viewer is gone. You state you are losing subscribers. With these 2 factors happening at the same time, my suspicion is that some bots got to your channel and YT is doing something about it. If YT is removing these "bot subscribers" then the accompanying views are probably being removed also. As Stanley says, it happens.

If you are got bot subscribers and YT is doing something about it, just go along with it. They are doing you a favor by purging them.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe that you will go below 100 subscribers. As such, you will be eligible for a Custom URL so be on the lookout for that.

You were experimenting with the reaction video and you succeeded in triggering some responses. You can abandon the video and never follow-up. Or reaction videos may be part of your content bucket. In a way, your reactions can be an educational tool to others. You could also do a follow up video and analyze the play style of Alip Ba Ta. The thing is when I watched your video, you were being you. So, I think you are fine. You didn't have a freaky personality change. You simply tried something new and succeeded in getting some good traffic.

You should realize that very few subscribers will watch EVERY video you produce. I would not worry that much about it. Your initial subscribers are still in there. However, you currently have a wider base to work with.

Personally, I would be curious to see how you do with a follow up! A lot of your commenters wrote they want another reaction video. All in all, I think this event was a great learning event for you! I don't think harm is going to be done, if any.
Thanks so much Matt I really appreciate your advice. I am planning on doing a different video next week see how it does and then maybe do another reaction video the week after. I really appreciate all of the Thumbnail and video advice you and Stanley have given me. :)

• Love
Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks so much Matt I really appreciate your advice. I am planning on doing a different video next week see how it does and then maybe do another reaction video the week after. I really appreciate all of the Thumbnail and video advice you and Stanley have given me. :)

I forgot to mention that you are so close to the 500 subscriber milestone. You should have additional superpowers when you hit 500. You will be able to post and keep in contact with your subscribers via the Community tab without having to post a video.

So, with only one video, you are going to gain two YT superpowers: a custom URL and the Community tab. Very nice!

I am patiently waiting until I get my 500 subscribers, then I will be using the new power!

Last point I want to make is this is why I personally believe creators need to allow themselves to experiment and go off the range once in a while. I understand the idea of niching down and staying focused but if someone is too focused, sometimes you don't get these unexpected results.

All it takes is a couple of discoveries and breakthroughs to give new life and a boost to a channel. You have proven this by blasting past me in subscribers! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theory Guitar

Theory Guitar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I forgot to mention that you are so close to the 500 subscriber milestone. You should have additional superpowers when you hit 500. You will be able to post and keep in contact with your subscribers via the Community tab without having to post a video.

So, with only one video, you are going to gain two YT superpowers: a custom URL and the Community tab. Very nice!

I am patiently waiting until I get my 500 subscribers, then I will be using the new power!
I am so excited! I feel bad that I have more subs than you and you are the one who is teaching me new things. Hopefully you will get there soon. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I am so excited! I feel bad that I have more subs than you and you are the one who is teaching me new things. Hopefully you will get there soon. Thanks for your help.

No need to feel sorry for me. Youtube is only one facet of my life. I know this is a marathon and working a larger 5-year plan. Unless something really bad happens, according to my analytics and stats, I should be YPP later this year.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That is strangely tremendous growth for a single video like that... sounds like a highly-underserved, hot-button topic. Kudos!

You aren't hurting your channel here. Is it the best traffic? Probably not. But that amount of subscribers is not going to have a long-term damaging effect on your performance. You do need to focus on your core content, but there is nothing wrong with experimenting and branching out from time to time.