• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube SEO A question about tags

Amanda Summers

Known Member
I heard someone say that if you have a tag like 'get the most out of Nepal' you don't need to put 'Nepal' separately. Is this right?

Reactions: Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Technically you do not. YouTube 'get's it.'

Aside from targeting specific, long-tail phrases like 'get the most out of Nepal' the real value in the tags these days is your ability to see what you are ranking for. YouTube is looking into your title, descriptions, captions and the actual video to determine how to best index your video. They don't look at the tags as much for this any more. But the tags still reflect search ranks for you, and are therefore valuable to you as insight into what is working and what is not.

Mind you, I did not say tags were completely unimportant. They exist, and YouTube uses them. They are simply less important than what happens in your title, descriptions and in the actual video.

OP
OP
Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers

Known Member
Technically you do not. YouTube 'get's it.'

Aside from targeting specific, long-tail phrases like 'get the most out of Nepal' the real value in the tags these days is your ability to see what you are ranking for. YouTube is looking into your title, descriptions, captions and the actual video to determine how to best index your video. They don't look at the tags as much for this any more. But the tags still reflect search ranks for you, and are therefore valuable to you as insight into what is working and what is not.

Mind you, I did not say tags were completely unimportant. They exist, and YouTube uses them. They are simply less important than what happens in your title, descriptions and in the actual video.
Thanks, that is helpful. I'm actually glad the algorithm goes deeper than just listing it as the youtube creator wants it. As it is, I see a lot of people tagging words that aren't near what the video is about. So, if someone puts ridiculous keywords does it bother the bots? or do they just ignore it? Does it cause the channel to lose authority?

Reactions: Damon

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Tags are just another part of SEO. It is a piece of the puzzle, not the whole puzzle. Tags have less effect now than they used to, but they are still worth doing. Every little bit helps. As far as your specific question, a single instance of Nepal may be all that is necessary, but I feel that if Nepal is key in your video, working it into several configurations in the tags increases the likelihood that your video will be number one under that exact search. So if I had a video about getting to know Nepal, I might use several tags like these

1. Getting to know Nepal
2. Discovering Nepal
3. Nepal, what you need to know
4. Understanding Nepal
5. Information about Nepal
6. Knowing Nepal
7. Nepal Hacks
8. Culture of Nepal

I could write a hundred more, but you get the point. The important part is that the tags are a reflection of the video, the title, and the description. The better the tags reflect these other areas, the higher you video will rank for them.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Thanks, that is helpful. I'm actually glad the algorithm goes deeper than just listing it as the youtube creator wants it. As it is, I see a lot of people tagging words that aren't near what the video is about. So, if someone puts ridiculous keywords does it bother the bots? or do they just ignore it? Does it cause the channel to lose authority?
YouTube is going to first look at your title/description and the content of your actual video in determining what it is about, whether they can advertise on it and who to serve it to. When doing so they are going to take into account not just the keyword phrases you mention but the color coding of the video, the cadence and the length of the video, whether it is male or female etc. They look into a LOT. Then they look at the tags to see if you misspelled anything.

That isn't a totally accurate way of how this works... but it is actually comically close.

What is important, and the reason TubeBuddy exists is that the title/description/captions and tags are the only things that we can manipulate in order to assist YouTube in finding our target audience. So while the tags have little importance having them tie in to the terms we have in the description and title helps to solidify a very clear and precise message to YouTube; this is what this video is about.

MC Space

Subscriber Goal
Hello you guys, I have a question.
How many tags are good in a video? I meant I ask this before, but is confusing everybody said something different you know? At least how many are good or ok? without going overboard or not putting enough?

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
How many tags are good in a video? I meant I ask this before, but is confusing everybody said something different you know? At least how many are good or ok? without going overboard or not putting enough?
It doesn't make too much of a difference. I like the idea of using all 500 characters myself... but it is important to make sure that they are 500 characters of completely different topics. The purpose of SEO, your tags/titles/descriptions is to provide a clear idea for YouTube to know exactly what your video is about so that they can put it directly in front of the specific audience looking for that content. You don't want to make it confusing for YouTube. Use up all the characters (or don't). But be sure that you are giving YT clear, concise information as to who needs to be served this content.

• Love
Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
It doesn't make too much of a difference. I like the idea of using all 500 characters myself... but it is important to make sure that they are 500 characters of completely different topics. The purpose of SEO, your tags/titles/descriptions is to provide a clear idea for YouTube to know exactly what your video is about so that they can put it directly in front of the specific audience looking for that content. You don't want to make it confusing for YouTube. Use up all the characters (or don't). But be sure that you are giving YT clear, concise information as to who needs to be served this content.

Yes. This is one area where TubeBuddy shines brightest, in the Tags Suggestion. Complete your Title and Description first, and then work on tags. TubeBuddy will have a lot of really good suggestions picked out for you by the time you get there if you do the Title and Description first. It also has a special feature where you can input a target word to narrow down the tag suggestions.

1645721890866.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Hiking with Shawn

TubeBuddy Legend
I've been testing using all the space for tags and just putting in a few that identify the content how it should be presented, taking that advice directly from YT.

I've noticed no change in views, likes, engagement, etc. I've done quite a few A/B tests on that, too.

Personally, and according to YouTube officially, tags are just not really that important.

I am putting in about 1 to 2 hashtags in the description, though. But I also wonder if those are really even doing anything?

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been testing using all the space for tags and just putting in a few that identify the content how it should be presented, taking that advice directly from YT.

I've noticed no change in views, likes, engagement, etc. I've done quite a few A/B tests on that, too.

Personally, and according to YouTube officially, tags are just not really that important.

I am putting in about 1 to 2 hashtags in the description, though. But I also wonder if those are really even doing anything?

Tags alone are not going to make enough difference to be measured. When applied as part of a greater puzzle, they may be useful, but by themselves, they do not have any measurable effect. A/B testing is really an unreliable way to measure anything with YouTube because there are too many variables at play on youtube. Especially in the short-term context. I have videos that are ten years old that I have done nothing to and they have gone from my most-watched to my least-watched many times throughout the years for no discernable reason. A/B testing on YouTube is like trying to decide when the table is level on a boat that is being tossed around by a hurricane.

There are countless factors out of your control that are affecting your videos, that are in a state of constant flux and chaos. It is virtually impossible to determine if anything you are doing is causing an effect in the short term. The best thing to do is do solid SEO and sit back and wait at least six months before taking a look at it.

Reactions: Hiking with Shawn
OP
OP
Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers

Known Member
Tags are just another part of SEO. It is a piece of the puzzle, not the whole puzzle. Tags have less effect now than they used to, but they are still worth doing. Every little bit helps. As far as your specific question, a single instance of Nepal may be all that is necessary, but I feel that if Nepal is key in your video, working it into several configurations in the tags increases the likelihood that your video will be number one under that exact search. So if I had a video about getting to know Nepal, I might use several tags like these

1. Getting to know Nepal
2. Discovering Nepal
3. Nepal, what you need to know
4. Understanding Nepal
5. Information about Nepal
6. Knowing Nepal
7. Nepal Hacks
8. Culture of Nepal

I could write a hundred more, but you get the point. The important part is that the tags are a reflection of the video, the title, and the description. The better the tags reflect these other areas, the higher you video will rank for them.
Then I would need to put those phrases in the description? But I think the bots only read the first 200 characters in the description, but you have to put it in a normal, sentence structure. Is this right? I'll be using those tags; thanks so much. I was putting the chapters at the front, which wasted a lot of the space for keywords. Then I saw a video that had the chapters done well and had the time stamps at the end of the description. I'm going to start doing that.

OP
OP
Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers

Known Member
You also can hashtag# words. You get 3 that will be highlighted in blue. But I heard if you put too many, more than 3-5, the algorithm ignores the video. If you put the location then that will go at the top instead of the hashtags. Leave the location empty unless it's really the only thing you want to be there.
If I'm wrong please correct this-anyone.

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Then I would need to put those phrases in the description? But I think the bots only read the first 200 characters in the description, but you have to put it in a normal, sentence structure. Is this right? I'll be using those tags; thanks so much. I was putting the chapters at the front, which wasted a lot of the space for keywords. Then I saw a video that had the chapters done well and had the time stamps at the end of the description. I'm going to start doing that.

This is a little personal trick of mine. When I am done with tags, I copy the tags into the description and then I write an organic tag story around them. For example, using the tags I gave you.

"This video is about getting to know Nepal. Discovering Nepal is a great adventure and this video will teach about Nepal, what you need to know, how to get around, and much more. Understanding Nepal is key to getting the most out of your stay there. This video is full of information about Nepal. Learning the incredible culture of Nepal will help you in knowing Nepal better. I will also teach you a few Nepal Hacks to maximize your adventure in the wonderful country of NEPAL!"

Some say I should have been a writer. Too bad I was born with severe dyslexia. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: spookyboo and Damon
OP
OP
Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers

Known Member
This is a little personal trick of mine. When I am done with tags, I copy the tags into the description and then I write an organic tag story around them. For example, using the tags I gave you.

"This video is about getting to know Nepal. Discovering Nepal is a great adventure and this video will teach about Nepal, what you need to know, how to get around, and much more. Understanding Nepal is key to getting the most out of your stay there. This video is full of information about Nepal. Learning the incredible culture of Nepal will help you in knowing Nepal better. I will also teach you a few Nepal Hacks to maximize you adventure in the wonderful country of NEPAL!"

Some say I should have been a writer. Too bad I was born with severe dyslexia. :p
Thanks so much, that's excellent. I actually try to do that in the entire description. I also had dyslexia and ended up being a good writer. There was a famous psychologist that said we get our strengths from our childhood weaknesses.

• Love
Reactions: The Jungle Explorer