• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Find your YouTube Niche - A 3-Step Quick Guide!

Hiking with Shawn

TubeBuddy Legend
Are you trying to find your YouTube niche or topic you want to post videos about? Are you wondering if you should just choose a topic that is popular and jump into it? In this article, I wanted to help answer this question especially for those of you who are just starting out with YouTube. It should never be a significant challenge to find your YouTube niche but if you do it wrong, you might have a negative result when may make you want to give up altogether. Don't give up, instead check out this article.

Step 1: Find your YouTube Niche by Finding Your Passion
Your best YouTube niche is your passions. So get out a sheet on paper or open a word processer. Write down every hobby and passion you have that you truly care about. I'm going to use myself as an example for this article. So here are my hobbies:
  1. Hiking
  2. Cycling
  3. Camping
  4. Blogging
  5. Social media & digital marketing
  6. Search Engine Optimization
  7. Running forums
  8. Photography/Videography
Now that you have written down all your passions, let's move on to Step #2.

Step 2: Determine what YouTube Niche is a Passion
Don't confused all of your hobbies as passions. Some of your hobbies and an interests give you more passion that others do. I wouldn't want to create a channel on all of the above hobbies, right? It would be chaotic to what type of audience to target for. It would also ensure that the algorithms had no idea what kind of niche that my channel is targeting for. My guess, I would get very little reach on YouTube if I included all of the topics above on my channel. So we need to identify how often we do each of the topic and how passionate we are about it. Can we make more than one video a week (for example) for each of our hobbies?
  1. Hiking - I hike at least 1 to 3 days a week. I could make a video 1 to 3 times a week.
  2. Cycling - I bike only when its warm out and anywhere from 3 to 7 days a week. I can make plenty of videos but not in the winter.
  3. Camping - I camp like 3 times a year. I couldn't make that many camping videos.
  4. Blogging - I blog every day but I wouldn't be sure how to make a good blogging video, I'd rather write an article on how to blog well.
  5. Social media & digital marketing - I do this daily but am not sure if I'd want to make videos for it.
  6. Search Engine Optimization - I do this daily but am not sure if I'd want to make videos for it.
  7. Running forums - Forums are great but not making videos for them great.
  8. Photography/Videography - I could easily make videos about this or photos.
So it looks like 1, 2, and 3 could easily be placed together if I were to make a outdoor recreation channel but I should probably focus more on hiking since I do it a few days a week all year long. But biking and camping topics could also be relevant enough to be included here and there. But I could also make a channel about photography and video too. Now let's move on to step #3.

Step 3: Determine if your YouTube Niche is marketable or not
This last step is important. You might have way more hobbies than me and you need to figure out if the hobbies are actually worth making videos for. Is there a market out there for them? Is there a community out there for them? Is the competition already making videos in this market? If there is competition, it means there is a market. If there is no competition, it doesn't mean there isn't a market but it could mean there isn't that much of a market. So, for my example - my research showed me that hiking and outdoors seems to have a more popular market than photo/video mainly because I don't have a lot of experience in it and all the gear which is what research shows is best to have a lot of knowledge and an assortment of gear.

In the end, I went with the hiking niche. In real life, I did this and cornered the competition in my region. Now if you had chose a YouTube niche that was popular but you knew too little about, how often do you think you could actually make videos for it? Videos that are original and unique? Probably not very long. But if you choose something you're passionate about and its marketable, you'll have all sorts of ideas all the time. I hope this quick guide helps you find your YouTube niche by embracing your marketable passions.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
This is good stuff, Shawn. A lot of people don't realize that a big part of being a successful creator is the ability to look within. Know thyself. I subscribe to narrowing down where possible.

But interestingly, I noticed a lot of "younger" Youtubers who do pretty well covering and talking about their lives. My belief is that other younger viewers like it because they get to see other people their age live their lives.

The rules of succeeding on YT seem to be different if you are in your teens or early 20's. But of course, that is simply based on the small number of channels that have caught my eye.

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
This is a great guide! You definitely should be considering what you can actually make regular content around year round. I like your point about not mixing all the hobbies together on one channel. I used to just post videos about all my different hobbies on my channel. I've narrowed it down overtime, eventually getting down to two main topics. After a while, I stopped doing one of those topics as it was very time consuming.

Reactions: Hiking with Shawn
OP
OP
Hiking with Shawn

Hiking with Shawn

TubeBuddy Legend
This is good stuff, Shawn. A lot of people don't realize that a big part of being a successful creator is the ability to look within. Know thyself. I subscribe to narrowing down where possible.

But interestingly, I noticed a lot of "younger" Youtubers who do pretty well covering and talking about their lives. My belief is that other younger viewers like it because they get to see other people their age live their lives.

The rules of succeeding on YT seem to be different if you are in your teens or early 20's. But of course, that is simply based on the small number of channels that have caught my eye.

I agree that younger YouTubers or even family YouTubers do better at the "vlog my life" type niche. Better than someone like me, there would be only a few videos of me making a cup of coffee before people would get sick of the same ole same ole lol. So I stick to the hiking stuff.

This is a great guide! You definitely should be considering what you can actually make regular content around year round. I like your point about not mixing all the hobbies together on one channel. I used to just post videos about all my different hobbies on my channel. I've narrowed it down overtime, eventually getting down to two main topics. After a while, I stopped doing one of those topics as it was very time consuming.

I think it would be easy to assume you should blog about everything you love until you learn the hard way that it is a challenge to turn that into a watchable niche.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Bravo sir... an excellent read and absolutely spot on. Thank you for a wonderful addition to this forum!

Merson

TubeBuddy User
Salut merci de partager cette bonne idée.
Pour moi, le plus important est de pouvoir respecter le nombre de fois qu'on dit qu'on va diffuser une ou plusieurs vidéos par semaine, et pour respecter ça, il ne faut pas se sentir obligé de le faire, mais qu'on prenez plaisir à le faire, là où il y a plaisir cela devient automatique, ne l'oubliez pas. ;)

OP
OP
Hiking with Shawn

Hiking with Shawn

TubeBuddy Legend
Salut merci de partager cette bonne idée.
Pour moi, le plus important est de pouvoir respecter le nombre de fois qu'on dit qu'on va diffuser une ou plusieurs vidéos par semaine, et pour respecter ça, il ne faut pas se sentir obligé de le faire, mais qu'on prenez plaisir à le faire, là où il y a plaisir cela devient automatique, ne l'oubliez pas. ;)

I agree with you. I think consistency is important in this modern social world. But I think passion will create consistency for sure.

In French:
Pardonnez-moi si je dis mal, j'utilise un traducteur ! Je suis d'accord avec toi. Je pense que la cohérence est importante dans ce monde social moderne. Mais je pense que la passion créera de la cohérence à coup sûr.

Merson

TubeBuddy User
Je suis d'accord avec toi. Je pense que la cohérence est importante dans ce monde social moderne. Mais je pense que la passion créera de la cohérence à coup sûr.

En français:
Pardonnez-moi si je dis mal, j'utilise un traducteur ! Je suis d'accord avec toi. Je pense que la cohérence est importante dans ce monde social moderne. Mais je pense que la passion créera la cohérence à coup sûr.
[/CITATION]
Waw your french is verry good what is the name of your application to translate in french? verry good.