• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice Best Camera for Vlogging?

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I'm looking for a new camera that is good quality for vlogging. I currently use my phone to film, but it doesn't have a stabilizer and it gets very shaky. Also when filming in stores or when walking around then it seems like my camera can't keep up with the changing scenery, and will make me almost dizzy when watching it back. Any suggestions on either a camera or phone that is best for vlogging?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Hi Em,

What you might consider is a gimbal stabilizer. I got one but don't use it that much. They work great to stabilize video while you are moving around It is sort of like an expensive and intelligent selfie-stick. You can get a relatively gimbal stabilizer on Amazon for about $80 give or take. The prices go up from there.

However, the downside of a gimbal stabilizer is that it is probably bulkier and heavier than most people prefer which is why a lot of the pros pay for a GoPro which I hear has very good at video stabilization. I still prefer to record videos on my phone for several reasons. I am not quite prepared to plunk down $300-$500 for a GoPro when I can spend that money on something else.

Reactions: Yours Truly
OP
OP
Yours Truly

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi Em,

What you might consider is a gimbal stabilizer. I got one but don't use it that much. They work great to stabilize video while you are moving around It is sort of like an expensive and intelligent selfie-stick. You can get a relatively gimbal stabilizer on Amazon for about $80 give or take. The prices go up from there.

However, the downside of a gimbal stabilizer is that it is probably bulkier and heavier than most people prefer which is why a lot of the pros pay for a GoPro which I hear has very good at video stabilization. I still prefer to record videos on my phone for several reasons. I am not quite prepared to plunk down $300-$500 for a GoPro when I can spend that money on something else.
My sister owns a GoPro that she lets me borrow, but the thing about a GoPro is that it has a very wide, fish-eye type lens, which makes everything seem a lot wider than it actually is. Not always helpful, especially when filming shopping vlogs. I will definitely look into the gimbal stabilizer!

Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
My sister owns a GoPro that she lets me borrow, but the thing about a GoPro is that it has a very wide, fish-eye type lens, which makes everything seem a lot wider than it actually is. Not always helpful, especially when filming shopping vlogs. I will definitely look into the gimbal stabilizer!

That is good to know. I didn't know the fish-eye effect was that bad in a GoPro.

Whatever gimbal stabilizer you get, I would love to hear your feedback. I am currently using Moza Mini-S gimbal stabilizer. It's okay but I've not been able to compare it to any others. I really want to find a smaller gimbal stabilizer if I can. I just noticed there are less expensive ones than the one I got a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
Yours Truly

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
That is good to know. I didn't know the fish-eye effect was that bad in a GoPro.

Whatever gimbal stabilizer you get, I would love to hear your feedback. I am currently using Moza Mini-S gimbal stabilizer. It's okay but I've not been able to compare it to any others. I really want to find a smaller gimbal stabilizer if I can. I just noticed there are less expensive ones than the one I got a couple of years ago.
I will definitely give you a review if I find a good one!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, that's my whole point. She mentioned shakiness. The best way to get rid of shakiness is to stop moving the camera. Even with a gimbal, if you're spinning around like Cinderella, you'll still make people sick.

For shopping vlogs where you are going handheld, you still need to limit the motion of the camera. I say get a camera with image stabilization built into the sensor, then stick the camera on a monopod. Then practice shooting static shots, keep the camera still.

The real issue is keeping the camera still, limiting the motion, and basic shooting discipline. A gimbal without knowledge of how to shoot a still shot will still end in shaky footage. Gotta learn how to shoot still shots.

Sony's ZV-1 has image stabilization. Get a tripod and a monopod. Learn to shoot stable shots, then worry about a gimbal.

Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Well, that's my whole point. She mentioned shakiness. The best way to get rid of shakiness is to stop moving the camera. Even with a gimbal, if you're spinning around like Cinderella, you'll still make people sick.

For shopping vlogs where you are going handheld, you still need to limit the motion of the camera. I say get a camera with image stabilization built into the sensor, then stick the camera on a monopod. Then practice shooting static shots, keep the camera still.

The real issue is keeping the camera still, limiting the motion, and basic shooting discipline. A gimbal without knowledge of how to shoot a still shot will still end in shaky footage. Gotta learn how to shoot still shots.

Sony's ZV-1 has image stabilization. Get a tripod and a monopod. Learn to shoot stable shots, then worry about a gimbal.

I can't speak to the specifics of Em's project or her planned execution but in my situation, it isn't always practical to come to a stop. A walking tour is a walking tour with its pros and cons. Sometimes I do a driving tour in my car. No tripod is possible for that situation.

Because you are a student of TV & cinema, you might be aware of one of my favorite TV shows is "West Wing". They did lots of "walks and talks". I heard it made it hard to film because it wasn't done much in those days, but the director/producers insisted upon it to create a sense of urgency, energy, etc.

Since West Wing and even in movies, there are many scenes where there is walk and talk and filming while moving.

Having said all that, it is cool to watch but not fun for me to do in real life. I think I am like you. I prefer the old fashion tripod and get still shots and reposition the tripod as necessary. That is why my gimbal stabilizer doesn't get much action! LOL!

TCC learncanva4yt

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
How did the gimbal stabilizer work out for you with whatever you were using? I would love an update.

We use the Sony ZV1, but bear in mind that you may need a few accessories to help you particularly with battery life. We needed to buy a 3 pack battery charger because the battery dies pretty quickly. If you position it on a selfie type stick or a tripod, you have to remove that each and every time you change the battery - but we found that you can buy a small rig for it that allows us to screw in the tripod to a different spot which allows me to open up the Sony ZV1.

Nocopyrightchannel

TubeBuddy Pro
nocopyright.live
Subscriber Goal
How did the gimbal stabilizer work out for you with whatever you were using? I would love an update.

We use the Sony ZV1, but bear in mind that you may need a few accessories to help you particularly with battery life. We needed to buy a 3 pack battery charger because the battery dies pretty quickly. If you position it on a selfie type stick or a tripod, you have to remove that each and every time you change the battery - but we found that you can buy a small rig for it that allows us to screw in the tripod to a different spot which allows me to open up the Sony ZV1.

DJ gimbals are very good and I am very satisfied with these products