• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Channel Review- What Can I Do to Improve My Channel?

Unapologetically D

Subscriber Goal
User name: Unapologetically D
Title of thread: Channel Review- What Can I Do to Improve My Channel?
Self review: Hi everyone, I'm a semi-new YouTuber, and have started getting a few more views, but I would really appreciate any feedback I can get on improving my channel. Right now I have my topics set as: books, life, health/mental health, but I plan on eventually growing/changing my channel to be shed-to-house content and overall 20-something adult life. I feel like my channel is good, I'm trying to make good content and reach viewers, but there's just something I'm not hitting. I can pair down if I need to, but I really like having all of these topics. I used to include art/digital art content as well, but have for the most part stopped in that area, though artistic things will probably pop up now and again, especially since I may be able to tie some of it in with mental health. My new working schedule is a reading video on Mondays, a health video on Wednesdays, and a vlog (more of just creator's choice at the moment) video on Fridays. Would y'all get rid of or change any of these? How about my description? What should I change to make my channel more personable? What would you do if this was your channel? Thank you so much in advance, I really appreciate any advice you can give!
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCToUEUDXCiDZEhbe09Wn-ow
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/48016/post-151675

Barkey

Right now you have a lot of variety. That's not a bad thing, but variety is hard to maintain, and hard to build an audience from. Although some of these topics do compliment each other, like vlogging and health or art and books, it's kind of a scattershot approach. Eventually you'll find you may naturally whittle things down to just one or two types of content and build your niche there. As you add more videos and get some data to look at, you'll see where to focus.

Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
Unapologetically D

Unapologetically D

Subscriber Goal
Right now you have a lot of variety. That's not a bad thing, but variety is hard to maintain, and hard to build an audience from. Although some of these topics do compliment each other, like vlogging and health or art and books, it's kind of a scattershot approach. Eventually you'll find you may naturally whittle things down to just one or two types of content and build your niche there. As you add more videos and get some data to look at, you'll see where to focus.
Thank you so much Barkey!

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
These are my observations and comments.

As Barkey said, you have a variety of interests. It tends to happen when you are exploring which is okay. But with this approach, you don't want to "hide" yourself. You are already in the video. Maybe some thumbnails with your face on it helps "personalize" it.

Your channel name is a bit unwieldy. "Unapologetically" is really long. And regarding "D", it is too anonymous. If you don't want to use your real first name, that is okay. You can adopt an alias. But "D" is just not personal enough. Denise, Debbie, Diane, or even Dee. But "D" just seems short.

I read your channel description and it reads nicely and you come across as likable. But your thumbnails, channel art, and your profile photo, you "hide" yourself. Allow people to get to know you and like you even more by showing yourself a bit more besides the video themselves.

OP
OP
Unapologetically D

Unapologetically D

Subscriber Goal
These are my observations and comments.

As Barkey said, you have a variety of interests. It tends to happen when you are exploring which is okay. But with this approach, you don't want to "hide" yourself. You are already in the video. Maybe some thumbnails with your face on it helps "personalize" it.

Your channel name is a bit unwieldy. "Unapologetically" is really long. And regarding "D", it is too anonymous. If you don't want to use your real first name, that is okay. You can adopt an alias. But "D" is just not personal enough. Denise, Debbie, Diane, or even Dee. But "D" just seems short.

I read your channel description and it reads nicely and you come across as likable. But your thumbnails, channel art, and your profile photo, you "hide" yourself. Allow people to get to know you and like you even more by showing yourself a bit more besides the video themselves.
Thank you so much MattCommand1! I really appreciate the advice, and am going to put it into practice!

• Love

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you so much MattCommand1! I really appreciate the advice, and am going to put it into practice!

I see your channel name was changed. I already feel a bit more "connected" to you, Laney. :) It is irrelevant if your real name is Laney or not. But "Laney" is far more personable than "D" because you seem like a "real person", I am more willing to embrace your various explorations as you figure out what you want to narrow down or focus on as was suggested.

I see your profile photo is now a face. It is becoming more personal and more congruent with your VLOG approach.

I noticed your channel art change reflected the channel name change. I am concerned that you declaring "3 videos a week" could work against you. On one hand, it gives the audience something to look forward to and you put yourself in an "accountable" position. ON the other hand, making a promise to do "3 videos a week" week after week for a year seems stringent. What about holidays? What if you get sick? What if you need a break? What if something else important comes up in your life?

By making such a declaration, you could "break your promise". Perhaps something less stringent like "New videos weekly". That gives you a bit more wiggle room to go down to two videos if you need to. Or do you need to announce your upload schedule at all?

You will see many channels do NOT make any announcements about how often they will upload and they do fine. Ultimately, it is about your performance not what you announce. But if you do announce, there is pressure (good and bad) to live up to the promise.

In theory, it is better to announce. But as a flawed human being, if I announce a schedule and don't live up to it, then it will make my experience on YT a more negative one. I need all the positive experiences I can to keep going towards my 5-year goal. It is a marathon for me. I know my personal flaws. I feel a lot of self-imposed pressures as it is. I don't need to artificially create additional ones.

On the flip side, some YTubers swear by it and they say it helps keep them in line and disciplined.

So, there you go. You can make up your own mind which approach is best for you and your channel.

OP
OP
Unapologetically D

Unapologetically D

Subscriber Goal
Personally, I recommend that you dedicate yourself to a specific niche or at most two so as to stay on topic. This will make it easier for your audience to focus on the topic.
Hi Twister Android, thank you so much for your feedback! I'm trying to hone my topics a little more, hopefully I'm going to get there soon! Thank you!

OP
OP
Unapologetically D

Unapologetically D

Subscriber Goal
Hi again MattCommand1, thank you so much for keeping up with my channel! I totally agree, I probably should change it to read "new videos weekly," while holding myself to a schedule privately. I am like you, I don't want to put too much pressure onto the strict schedule and I know things will come up, be it traveling, sickness or what-have-you, so I think that is a change I am going to make. Thank you for more great advice, and I really appreciate the feedback!

NE GA Mountain Folk

Subscriber Goal
I'd swap around the wording in your banner and put "twenty-something life" first since your channel is called Laney's Life. It gives more focus. Also, don't repeat what you have in your thumbnail in your title. If you want another opinion, check out "CubsDen" as they do weekly channel reviews. It helped us.

OP
OP
Unapologetically D

Unapologetically D

Subscriber Goal
I'd swap around the wording in your banner and put "twenty-something life" first since your channel is called Laney's Life. It gives more focus. Also, don't repeat what you have in your thumbnail in your title. If you want another opinion, check out "CubsDen" as they do weekly channel reviews. It helped us.
Hi,
You make really good points about the banner wording and thumbnail, thank you so much! Thank you, I should check them out! Thank you for your feedback!