• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Channel Promotion Through YouTube Ads

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Has anybody promoted their channel through the YouTube Ads program? Does it actually work and bring more views/subscribers? I'm hesitant about spending unnecessary money on promoting through YouTube.....unless it works. I'm 78 videos in though with only 31 subscribers and getting a little burnt out of making content without growing my channel.

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Has anybody promoted their channel through the YouTube Ads program? Does it actually work and bring more views/subscribers? I'm hesitant about spending unnecessary money on promoting through YouTube.....unless it works. I'm 78 videos in though with only 31 subscribers and getting a little burnt out of making content without growing my channel.
I've heard mixed reports of people getting good promotion and bad but I'd say for the size of your channel just not worth doing it and instead just focus on promoting in correct places like reddit, the promotion section here etc so overall I'd say that just work on that instead of paid promotion at the moment.

Reactions: Yours Truly

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

I can tell you of one channel who tried this and was his biggest mistake. I actually met the guy on this very forum. His channel name is The Wondering Wind and today he's over 6k subs. But back then he was only at about 850 subs. That's when the story of his mistake came about. You see, he gave the YouTube Ad thing a try by paying to advertise his channel during Pewdie Pie videos. Back then Pewdie was huge so it made sense to him to get the maximum exposure from his ad. And it worked. He gained around 500 new followers in a couple of weeks. He was excited. Until he hit that 850 number. Suddenly his channel stopped growing. For weeks he didn't gain another subscriber. Even worse, the new sub number didn't translate to more views. His views barely changed. It might have been that people subs simply because they saw his ad during Pewdie Pie's videos and assume he might have helped him advertise. It took him some time to realize and understand that getting subs just for the sake of getting subs didn't matter if they didn't watch his videos. He might have reached the 1000 sub goal every Youtuber seeks to gain to qualify for the YPP but it also requires 4000 view hours in 12 consecutive months to qualify and that won't happen if those 1000 subs are just subs and not actual viewers.

He learned the hard way that trying to gain subs fast and not an actual audience wanting to watch his channel was a waste of money, time and frustration.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

If you are getting burned out, I would take a short break and step back. Getting burned out helps no one including your channel. But I will give you credit for getting to 78 videos. You are close to the 100 videos recommended to do a look back.

Have you found any patterns of what people are interested in? Have you figured out what you truly enjoy? As many people suggest, focus on the views and watch times vs. the subscribers.

Views and watch time bring subscribers, not the other way around.

I wrote some observations of your channel on another thread but it has to be approved by a moderator before you can read it. Maybe you will get something out of what I wrote. You, like a few other younger members here, are somewhat different than more mature folks. Young people change, grow, evolve a lot during those early adult years. It allows for a lot of discovery, exploration, opportunity, and serendipity.

You are more likely to have an insightful breakthrough than someone like me who have to make extra efforts to be mentally nimble and being open-minded.

But to directly answer your question, I think every Youtuber needs to earn their stripes. You can certainly try ads (and many people do) but it doesn't solve the underlying problem that you ultimately want to learn how to tap into YT to recommend your videos to the right viewers. You want to EARN it, not buy it.

Believe it or not, one thing that attracted me to YT is that I know throwing money can only go so far. I know it comes to working hard, creativity, and putting in the time & energy to earn the rewards.

Reactions: Yours Truly

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I looked at your channel. I don't have time to watch your videos, but just looking at your channel, I have a hard time believing that you don't have more subscribers than that. I am gonna go with Matt on this one. You do not need to waste money buying ads, you need to work on your channel. I think you need to invest your time into learning SEO and using TubeBuddy to improve your ranking. You are pretty girl and I like your channel name and thumbs. You are off to a good start and should have no problem getting subs. I think your real problem is that nobody is seeing your content, and that is totally due to poor SEO. You have 79 videos that have only had 675 views in the last 30 days. That is not even 10 views per video. That means not a lot of people are seeing your content. Focus your time and improving the SEO of the videos you have and you will see more views. Maybe someone else can watch your videos and give you some advice there.