• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question About hashtags

Acltraninghalsa

Subscriber Goal
My question is, Does hashtag really making it more effective to get more views? If it does how many is ideal per post?

thank you!

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I am unsure how good they really are. I have just started messing with them to see. YouTube says over like 60 hashtags and the video will be ignored... I could not imagine using more than 5 or 6, and that seems excessive. Some people say a hashtag will steer people away from your vid, but I do not see that happening really. You can bury the tag anywhere in your description and YT will still pick it up. But the only way I see it driving people from you video is if they click the tag in your description, which seems unlikely.

They use the tag to help sort videos in search (but I think only for people who search for a particular tag?). If you make Disney content and put #disney, #epcot etc, and someone searches for #disney, or #epcot, your video should be in the list of results. It may be a long list, and I do not know how to rank well in hashtags.

I do not know how useful they really are in YouTube, but I do not see any harm in trying them.

OP
OP
Acltraninghalsa

Acltraninghalsa

Subscriber Goal
Thank you for your time!
I use a few tags, 60 sounds too much haha!
Like you said canΓÇÖt hurt using them. Was just curious how it can optimize views! If you have a post that is appealing to people I donΓÇÖt think the tags really matters! But until I have enough subscribers gotta grind harder :).

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Yeah... 60?!

Over-tagging: Don't add too many tags in a single video. The more tags you add to a video, the less relevant they become for viewers who are searching. If a video has more than 60 hashtags, we'll ignore all hashtags on that video. Over-tagging may result in the removal of your video from your uploads or from search.

Reactions: Acltraninghalsa

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I use hashtags because YT seems to encourage it but I am not really sure it is a huge benefit. However, because of the text within hashtags, I think it is a signal to help get my videos ranked better than without them.

Having said all that, I've not found a way to determine whether I gained any views from hashtags. I use hashtags more as a signal to the algorithm than anything else.

But a few people have brought up a potential negative of using hashtags. They believe it will help steer viewers away from watching your video. But I also see it as a way to gain views. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything yet that proves it one way or the other.

Reactions: Hihimchannel

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
My question is, Does hashtag really making it more effective to get more views? If it does how many is ideal per post?

thank you!

There is a really good video about this that I watched from a top YTber, but I can't find it right now. I will tell you the details of what I remember. You can use up to 15 hashtags in the description without getting hit for keyword spamming. However, only the first three will appear below the video. I am not sure that hashtags do anything for the SEO of the video, but what they do is make it easier for people to find more content related to the hashtag. Take my video here for example.

1643502358054.jpeg
You can see the two hashtags that appear under the video. These are basically quick searches. If the viewer clicks on them it will perform a search for that term and find content related to this. So, in my case, I used a couple of variations of my own channel. Clicking on them will cause a search that will bring up more of my videos, because I also use both of these hashtags in my video descriptions and tags.

Here is one way you can use them to your benefit. You can use them to point to a custom Playlist on your channel. Create a unique playlist name no one else uses and then use that name as a hashtag in your description. Make sure it is in the first three. It will appear under the video and if people click on it, it will find you playlist.

There is also another cool thing you can do here, but it is not directly related to YT. In all of YTs analytics, there are no metrics to show you WHERE on the web your videos have been shared. But, you can use a custom unique hashtag to do this yourself. Create a hashtag that NOBODY else uses in the world. Do searches on it to make sure it is not found on the web (I personally use the name of an Amazonian tribal chief I once knew). Then use the YT bulk editor to add that hashtag to every video you have. Then, wait a couple of weeks to give Google's crawler time to index that word. Then do a google search for that keyword using " " on either side. You will then see every place on the web where your videos have been shared. It is quite fascinating to see where they end up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hihimchannel

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I use hashtags all the time. They don't really hurt anything, so long as you aren't excessive. They don't drive a lot of traffic, but every view counts, so it's probably worth experimenting.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
There is a really good video about this that I watched from a top YTber, but I can't find it right now. I will tell you the details of what I remember. You can use up to 15 hashtags in the description without getting hit for keyword spamming. However, only the first three will appear below the video. I am not sure that hashtags do anything for the SEO of the video, but what they do is make it easier for people to find more content related to the hashtag. Take my video here for example.

You can see the two hashtags that appear under the video. These are basically quick searches. If the viewer clicks on them it will perform a search for that term and find content related to this. So, in my case, I used a couple of variations of my own channel. Clicking on them will cause a search that will bring up more of my videos, because I also use both of these hashtags in my video descriptions and tags.

Here is one way you can use them to your benefit. You can use them to point to a custom Playlist on your channel. Create a unique playlist name no one else uses and then use that name as a hashtag in your description. Make sure it is in the first three. It will appear under the video and if people click on it, it will find you playlist.

There is also another cool thing you can do here, but it is not directly related to YT. In all of YTs analytics, there are no metrics to show you WHERE on the web your videos have been shared. But, you can use a custom unique hashtag to do this yourself. Create a hashtag that NOBODY else uses in the world. Do searches on it to make sure it is not found on the web (I personally use the name of an Amazonian tribal chief I once knew). Then use the YT bulk editor to add that hashtag to every video you have. Then, wait a couple of weeks to give Google's crawler time to index that word. Then do a google search for that keyword using " " on either side. You will then see every place on the web where your videos have been shared. It is quite fascinating to see where they end up.

This was very clever. I like this idea very much and have implemented this great idea. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: The Jungle Explorer