• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Confused a little bit about copyrights

marrrko

Hey guys,

My niche is Crypto and will I break copyright YT rules if I put in my videos screenshots of some title news from various crypto news sites? Or if I visit and record those sites?
Or breaking copyrights rules will only be connected if I take a part of someone's YT video?

I'm not quite sure about that.

Thanks in advance.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Anything you use that you did not create could be subject to copyright. If you use screenshots and add commentary, it may fall under the fair use provision... but that really is up to the original copyright holder. If they complain to YouTube, YT automatically allows the copyright holder the right to pull the content. They will usually not get involved in any fair use disputes.

That being said... many review and commentary channels do not have problems. It is a very gray area.

Reactions: marrrko
OP
OP
marrrko

marrrko

Anything you use that you did not create could be subject to copyright. If you use screenshots and add commentary, it may fall under the fair use provision... but that really is up to the original copyright holder. If they complain to YouTube, YT automatically allows the copyright holder the right to pull the content. They will usually not get involved in any fair use disputes.

That being said... many review and commentary channels do not have problems. It is a very gray area.

Thank you very much!
That's what I thought.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
My niche is Crypto and will I break copyright YT rules if I put in my videos screenshots of some title news from various crypto news sites? Or if I visit and record those sites?
Or breaking copyrights rules will only be connected if I take a part of someone's YT video?

I'm not quite sure about that.

Copyright topics frustrate people because there are few absolute rules. Let's say I have a video you really like. And you want to excerpt 5-seconds of it to support a point you are making, that is considered "fair use". In the U.S., people can POTENTIALLY use other people's content for "fair use" purposes such as education, commentary, criticism, or transformative reasons. But there are no absolute rules about it. But the "less" you use, the "safer" you are. A 1-second use/display is "safer" than a 30-second use/display, for example. If someone challenges you, you should be able to defend and articulate the use with a valid "fair use" reason with some specificity.

Having said all that, YT infamously has a horrible copyright resolution system that is often abused especially when it comes to music.

I recommend you do some reading/viewing of "fair use" for anyone interested in attempting to use other people's content under "fair use".

Regarding the guy in the video displaying articles and headlines, I do a similar thing. I am comfortable with it because he is not showing the entire article. He is using it to support a point and it is transformative because the article is the centerpiece, he is. The article is the background which he is directly/indirectly commenting on.

You will need to go beyond the TB forums to learn about this further. It is worth looking into.

Reactions: Damon and marrrko
OP
OP
marrrko

marrrko

Thanks for a very detailed explanation. I was reading the same and just wanted to be sure to not be faced with some copyrights problems in the future. At least not some major one.