• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Strategy - Is it better....

WhatTheDevil69

Is it better to have a bunch of playlists or a bunch of focused channels? I have a broad variety of topics on my channel. I've split off the cooking to another channel (DOA) - thinking about starting a 3rd with zero subs to move one playlist over. What would get me monetized faster? One trick pony or 3 ring circus? If you want to see what I am talking about - check it out. The links on my profile here.

Attachments

• Qhrx-yzJupM.png
    Qhrx-yzJupM.png
    215 KB · Views: 73

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I tend to believe that spreading yourself across multiple channels is not a good thing. This was something I did over a decade ago and it was not good. I have to fight the tendency to get into too many things. As far as I am concerned, unless you are a lot of leverage/help/money/resources, etc. stay with one channel. It is challenging enough to get 1 channel going much less 3 at the same time.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
WhatTheDevil69

WhatTheDevil69

I appreciate the reply! So you have had more success with an ADHD channel than a focused one topic one? How did you do with the search algorithm? Did you take a look at my channel so you can see HOW varied my videos are?

I tend to believe that spreading yourself across multiple channels is not a good thing. This was something I did over a decade ago and it was not good. I have to fight the tendency to get into too many things. As far as I am concerned, unless you are a lot of leverage/help/money/resources, etc. stay with one channel. It is challenging enough to get 1 channel going much less 3 at the same time.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I appreciate the reply! So you have had more success with an ADHD channel than a focused one topic one? How did you do with the search algorithm? Did you take a look at my channel so you can see HOW varied my videos are?

Your channel shows as "Error" here so I did not see your channel. I have no context so I made a general statement. In my current channel, I have a few topics that broadly fall under the same umbrella. Some videos do horribly, others have done spectacularly well. I don't go out of my way to be scattered but I am willing to do "experimental" videos to test things.

As far as I know (and told by @Stanley OrchardBuddy ), each video is evaluated on its own merits for Search and Discovery. Anecdotally, he seems to be correct because I have outlier videos that do okay.

I am not an "all or nothing" person. If you are "very scattered", you can start pulling in and coalesce around 3-4 topic areas. But going to one narrow topic, I think, is tough if you have enjoyed producing a variety of content.

But the textbook answer for many people is to try to niche down as much as you can. That would be ideal but creators are messy complicated people. And so, I accept that.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
My channel is not named error.... !! Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/c/WhattheDevilisheuptotoday
Advice appreciated!

I looked at your channel and find it a bit hard to follow without putting in some extra time. I think most "outsiders" or new viewers are going to find it hard to "enter" your channel quickly without some modifications.

You don't use your name so I can't even say this is "Jim's channel" in my mind. Some of your titles are descriptive but many are not. Many titles are probably not going to be meaningful to anyone except those the regularly follow you.

However, the one theme that I picked up that seems consistent is that you are handy, hands-on, and "fix-it" stuff whether it is car stuff, rebuild, repair, woodwork, toolwork, etc. So, you are into different "projects" but you seem to be a handy / hands-on person.

For example, if your name was Jim, the channel could be "Jim's Projects" (bland name because I don't know much about you or personality) which would help clue people in that you are into different "projects". Your playlists would be used to classify different projects into woodwork, cars, tools, etc.

If you have the occasional stray video, then so be it. I think most channels have the occasional stray video.

"What the Devil" is a saying, not anything you really own. Your channel name is a bit ambiguous which contributes to the confusion. Are people supposed to say "this is the devil's channel"? It is hard for people to latch on to.

I actually don't think your content is as scattered as much as you say because I see a theme. But your channel looks inconsistent in terms of titles and thumbnails.

Reactions: WhatTheDevil69