• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Please give me all the critique possible, I really want to become better at making videos

DianaWanderlust

Subscriber Goal
User name: DianaWanderlust
Title of thread: Please give me all the critique possible, I really want to become better at making videos
Self review: I am Diana, I make travel vlogs and videos. I would like all my videos to have a little bit of story to tell, not only start and finish but a story to share. I would like to know if anything can be done better here, if it's too long or short, if the intro in the beginning is too much or should I keep including them. Please just let me know what you think is not working, I would really appreciate a harsh critique!!!
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKIXfxRqNM

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/47099/

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Nice!!! I am going to Cozumel myself in about two weeks, always a pleasure to see the content of a fellow traveler! If you are ever in the vicinity of South Texas let me know!

Ok, so looking at your video, I totally love the very beginning. That is EXACTLY the beginning I would want to see on this video. You are trying to capture a really fun moment to allow your viewers to dive in and that was well done. However, I am not a fan of the following segment. You give a channel introduction that is very dry and monotone. No music, a lot of B-roll and it was 33 seconds. That is an eternity in YT viewing time. I always advise against these channel trailers but if you are going to do it 33 seconds is too long. I like that you are trying to include your subscribe CTA (call to action) but that also was a little dry. You need to say it as well as show it on screen and honestly you need to include some reason why the viewer should subscribe. What is your 'value proposition...' that is to say what value is the viewer going to get out of subscribing? You need to figure this out and then use it as part of your presentation for the viewers subscription.

Your video style is awesome. It's raw... but don't worry about that. People like raw. It does need to be improved, but you will pick that up over time. Learn from the videos (also TV, movies etc) that you watch. I suggest watching a lot of Peter McKinnon videos... he's right up your alley. You capture good footage, you have a great personality and the story-telling style is absolutely fantastic. It's just a little rough around the edges. Minor improvements to cadence, editing etc will go a long way. Personally I would watch some travel shows on TV and study the way they do their presentation. You'll notice that they use a lot of 2-3 second B-roll clips and when they are providing narration such as yours they will often cut to the narrator talking... this helps to tie the narration to the visuals of your story.

So all in all that's it; you just need to make minor improvements to what is already a very solid product. This is the quality I would expect of someone who has already made 100 videos, and you are obviously performing very well. 35,000 views and nearly 2,000 subscribers on 14 videos... you are going to hit 100,000 subscribers and you have the potential for a 1 million sub channel. Focus on reaching the goal of 500 videos... and remember us little guys when you get big please.

OP
OP
DianaWanderlust

DianaWanderlust

Subscriber Goal
Nice!!! I am going to Cozumel myself in about two weeks, always a pleasure to see the content of a fellow traveler! If you are ever in the vicinity of South Texas let me know!

Ok, so looking at your video, I totally love the very beginning. That is EXACTLY the beginning I would want to see on this video. You are trying to capture a really fun moment to allow your viewers to dive in and that was well done. However, I am not a fan of the following segment. You give a channel introduction that is very dry and monotone. No music, a lot of B-roll and it was 33 seconds. That is an eternity in YT viewing time. I always advise against these channel trailers but if you are going to do it 33 seconds is too long. I like that you are trying to include your subscribe CTA (call to action) but that also was a little dry. You need to say it as well as show it on screen and honestly you need to include some reason why the viewer should subscribe. What is your 'value proposition...' that is to say what value is the viewer going to get out of subscribing? You need to figure this out and then use it as part of your presentation for the viewers subscription.

Your video style is awesome. It's raw... but don't worry about that. People like raw. It does need to be improved, but you will pick that up over time. Learn from the videos (also TV, movies etc) that you watch. I suggest watching a lot of Peter McKinnon videos... he's right up your alley. You capture good footage, you have a great personality and the story-telling style is absolutely fantastic. It's just a little rough around the edges. Minor improvements to cadence, editing etc will go a long way. Personally I would watch some travel shows on TV and study the way they do their presentation. You'll notice that they use a lot of 2-3 second B-roll clips and when they are providing narration such as yours they will often cut to the narrator talking... this helps to tie the narration to the visuals of your story.

So all in all that's it; you just need to make minor improvements to what is already a very solid product. This is the quality I would expect of someone who has already made 100 videos, and you are obviously performing very well. 35,000 views and nearly 2,000 subscribers on 14 videos... you are going to hit 100,000 subscribers and you have the potential for a 1 million sub channel. Focus on reaching the goal of 500 videos... and remember us little guys when you get big please.
OMG Stanley thank you so much for this feedback. I think I will remove the intro, I was not really sure about that as well but then someone recommended me to have it at least in the beginning and I took the advice but I didn't feel comfortable either. So having someone telling me it's not working is a good push :D I absolutely agree that improvements are necessary and I am digging into that, trying to pick up some editing skills and so on!

Anyway, your feedback is valued and I am grateful for this!

Amanda Summers

Known Member
One thing you need to work on is the volume. I had headphones on and it went from normal to unbearable at a couple of points. I liked the cave.

Sabrinastrachan12

Subscriber Goal
User name: DianaWanderlust
Title of thread: Please give me all the critique possible, I really want to become better at making videos
Self review: I am Diana, I make travel vlogs and videos. I would like all my videos to have a little bit of story to tell, not only start and finish but a story to share. I would like to know if anything can be done better here, if it's too long or short, if the intro in the beginning is too much or should I keep including them. Please just let me know what you think is not working, I would really appreciate a harsh critique!!!
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKIXfxRqNM

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/47099/
I honestly don't have much to critique your video quality is excellent and it is refreshing to see everything from your point of view. I enjoyed every bit.