• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy Suggestion Chapter suggestion improvements

SirTapTap

Chapters are a fav feature of mine in youTube and I noticed TubeBuddy's Best Practice checker has several incorrect heuristics:

- It claims the first timestamp must be 00:00. 0:00 is acceptable.
-- Further, the first timestamp doesn't have to be 0:00 at all, it's just that all timestamps following the 0:00 must be sequential. Meaning you can start the description with "stream starts at 1:00" and still have a full functiopal Chapter list below it
- It claims you need 3 chapters mimimum, actually it's 2.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Chapters are a fav feature of mine in youTube and I noticed TubeBuddy's Best Practice checker has several incorrect heuristics:

- It claims the first timestamp must be 00:00. 0:00 is acceptable.
-- Further, the first timestamp doesn't have to be 0:00 at all, it's just that all timestamps following the 0:00 must be sequential. Meaning you can start the description with "stream starts at 1:00" and still have a full functional Chapter list below it
- It claims you need 3 chapters minimum, actually it's 2.

If I were to give TB the benefit of the doubt, 0:00 is a "best practice" vs. a requirement. I believe YT officially recommends 0:00, even if it is not required.

There is generally content that begins at 0:00. IN my mind, "Best practices" are very different than "minimal requirements".

In regards to the 2 vs. 3 chapter minimum, again, TB considers it a "best practice".

There are a few "best practices" that TB recommends that I don't agree with or follow for all videos. Some are "it depends" type of scenarios.

Woodward

TubeBuddy Legend
www.woodwardenglish.com
Subscriber Goal
I always start with a "0:00 Introduction" timestamp and try to have at least 3 chapters.
I have noticed our videos with chapters appearing more and more in basic google searches (not just on YouTube) so I think the more chapters you have, the more google has something "to read" about what your video is about.

Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I always start with a "0:00 Introduction" timestamp and try to have at least 3 chapters.
I have noticed our videos with chapters appearing more and more in basic google searches (not just on YouTube) so I think the more chapters you have, the more google has something "to read" about what your video is about.

Yup, I agree with you totally.

I really hate doing the timestamps. Very tedious trying to get it correct to the second. But because of how prominent videos are with timestamps Google search results, I feel I have no choice if I want to be competitive.