• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help How To Get Views to Turn Into Subscribers

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I'm struggling to get views to turn into subscribers. I've had my channel going since May, and only have 25 subscribers. I have had a lot of really successful videos where I'm getting 200+ views, but not very many of the viewers subscribe. Any tips? I feel like my channel has good content, but I'm just not getting the people to stick around and I'm not sure why.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I'm struggling to get views to turn into subscribers. I've had my channel going since May, and only have 25 subscribers. I have had a lot of really successful videos where I'm getting 200+ views, but not very many of the viewers subscribe. Any tips? I feel like my channel has good content, but I'm just not getting the people to stick around and I'm not sure why.

It is very typical that there are far more unsubscribed viewers than subscribed. That will generally always be the case. You should like at your view times of your best performing videos. Are there steep dropoffs in the first minute? If people click and view but don't stay into the video, that is a clue that viewers are not interested. I would say you want 50% of viewers stay to the end. If it is only 10%, that is an indicator.

Do you have a CTA (call to action)? And if you do, are you being obnoxious about it? Having a CTA is fine but some people are really obnoxious about it and it could actually make people NOT subscribe.

I peeked at your channel and no one wants to see a video where a creator begs for subscribers. That sends the wrong message. A lot of your titles are ALL CAPS. That can be interpreted as SHOUTING at people which could turn some people off.

The general consensus of experienced Youtubers is that if you focus on views and retention, subscribers will convert more. And to some degree, we all have to be "likable", "interesting", "entertaining" or some other quality where a viewer wants to stay in touch with you. They stay in touch with you through the act of subscribing.

I've not watched your videos but you may have to gauge how much videos are about "you" vs. about helping the viewer. I've noticed that some creators want to make it all about them and their lives which is fine. But it is tricky because the viewer has to get something out of it.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
Yours Truly

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It is very typical that there are far more unsubscribed viewers than subscribed. That will generally always be the case. You should like at your view times of your best performing videos. Are there steep dropoffs in the first minute? If people click and view but don't stay into the video, that is a clue that viewers are not interested. I would say you want 50% of viewers stay to the end. If it is only 10%, that is an indicator.

Do you have a CTA (call to action)? And if you do, are you being obnoxious about it? Having a CTA is fine but some people are really obnoxious about it and it could actually make people NOT subscribe.

I peeked at your channel and no one wants to see a video where a creator begs for subscribers. That sends the wrong message. A lot of your titles are ALL CAPS. That can be interpreted as SHOUTING at people which could turn some people off.

The general consensus of experienced Youtubers is that if you focus on views and retention, subscribers will convert more. And to some degree, we all have to be "likable", "interesting", "entertaining" or some other quality where a viewer wants to stay in touch with you. They stay in touch with you through the act of subscribing.

I've not watched your videos but you may have to gauge how much videos are about "you" vs. about helping the viewer. I've noticed that some creators want to make it all about them and their lives which is fine. But it is tricky because the viewer has to get something out of it.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.
Thanks you for the response! My average view time is 2:52. As far as a call to action, I try not to be obnoxious about it because I know that's a huge turnoff for me when I watch Youtubers. I try to just say "Make sure to subscribe for more content like this." Is there a better way to remind viewers to subscribe?

I will definitely fix the titles. I didn't even think about it like that!

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks you for the response! My average view time is 2:52. As far as a call to action, I try not to be obnoxious about it because I know that's a huge turnoff for me when I watch Youtubers. I try to just say "Make sure to subscribe for more content like this." Is there a better way to remind viewers to subscribe?

I have to be careful what I say because I don't want to come off as knowing "the answer". I simply know what turns people off but I am still a "work in progress". What I am doing now is attempting to let more of my personality out vs being stiff on-camera. That is not to say you are stiff. The point I am getting at is that I absolutely believe that we have to do our part to be "likable" "interesting" "unique" etc. That generally means we have to let more of our personality out which is difficult for me. But I know I am getting better with every video I do.

Once someone likes you or interested in you, I believe they will watch and follow most things you do vs. someone coming into our video for a specific purpose, then bolt.

In regards to "like and subscribing" CTA, I use reminder animations and do my personal CTA at the end. It fits my style for now. There are LOTS of opinions on this topic. Some believe you don't need any CTA which I think it is a bit extreme. I believe (no data to back this up) that a little CTA is not a bad thing. I am mostly in the same boat as you on CTA. I do it but unsure if what I am doing is helping. But I don't think my CTA's are hurting me either. I am still experimenting.

Reactions: Yours Truly

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

I just browsed your budgeting video and reading list video. You are Awesome! You definitely have the "likable" factor. Also, I am a reader and a financial guy myself so your topics resonate with me. I think it is awesome you are adopting some of these attributes at such a young age.

I think you are at an exploratory stage due to your age as well as how young your channel is. You clearly have many interests which tell me you are a healthy well-rounded teen. As you progress, you may have to hone in on what you are all about. I like that you are a reader and have financial interests. I've been told that Business and financial content get higher ad rates. However, do you like it enough to do more financial stuff? The sooner younger people adopt and learn financial concepts, the better their lives will be long term.

From a branding point of view, I am not a big fan of "YOURS TRULY" because it isn't something you can "own". I think you should adopt an online persona if you are reluctant to use your full name. Do you feel comfortable at least using your real first name? If not, it is okay to use an alias. There are pros and cons to using an alias.

The point being is that it is easier for me to follow "Mary/Ginger/Susan/etc" vs. "Yours Truly" which is a common saying.

I think it is inevitable that you will get more subscribers. You have a fabulous camera personality. You are tremendously likable after only watching a couple of your videos. But during this journey, you may want to coalesce what you want your channel to be about. It can be 2-3 things, but it might be hard for new viewers to deal with 10 interests. Does that make sense?

I am being a bit more careful because it is important that YOUR interests and passions come through, not mine since I have a bias.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yours Truly

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I just browsed your budgeting video and reading list video. You are Awesome! You definitely have the "likable" factor. Also, I am a reader and a financial guy myself so your topics resonate with me. I think it is awesome you are adopting some of these attributes at such a young age.

I think you are at an exploratory stage due to your age as well as how young your channel is. You clearly have many interests which tell me you are a healthy well-rounded teen. As you progress, you may have to hone in on what you are all about. I like that you are a reader and have financial interests. I've been told that Business and financial content get higher ad rates. However, do you like it enough to do more financial stuff? The sooner younger people adopt and learn financial concepts, the better their lives will be long term.

From a branding point of view, I am not a big fan of "YOURS TRULY" because it isn't something you can "own". I think you should adopt an online persona if you are reluctant to use your full name. Do you feel comfortable at least using your real first name? If not, it is okay to use an alias. There are pros and cons to using an alias.

The point being is that it is for me to follow "Mary/Ginger/Susan/etc" vs. "Yours Truly" which is a common saying.

I think it is inevitable that you will get more subscribers. You have a fabulous camera personality. You are tremendously likable after only watching a couple of your videos. But during this journey, you may want to coalesce what you want your channel to be about. It can be 2-3 things, but it might be hard for new viewers to deal with 10 interests. Does that make sense?

I am being a bit more careful because it is important that YOUR interests and passions come through, not mine since I have a bias.
Yes, this makes a lot of sense! Thank you for this awesome feedback! I will definitely be working on these changes you have suggested!

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yes, this makes a lot of sense! Thank you for this awesome feedback! I will definitely be working on these changes you have suggested!

FYI, I have thrown up a couple of cat videos in the midst of all my other financial and real estate content. My cat videos do horribly performance wise although I love my cats. I inject some personal things where I can but all I know is that I won't be putting up any more cat videos on my channel because my subscribers simply don't care about it even though I care about cats!

Even my subscribers won't watch my short cat videos which is very telling! LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Yours Truly

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal

When are you asking them to subscribe? I would recommend doing it more towards the end of the video. If you do it at the beginning, those viewers haven't seen anything worthwhile yet, and it will just annoy them, meaning you can actually lose viewers that way.

OP
OP
Yours Truly

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
When are you asking them to subscribe? I would recommend doing it more towards the end of the video. If you do it at the beginning, those viewers haven't seen anything worthwhile yet, and it will just annoy them, meaning you can actually lose viewers that way.
It varies when I ask. I will definitely start asking towards the end now!

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
You come across very well on camera. I would recommend getting a small tripod to make the videos more steady, and move the camera a little farther away - the top of your head is missing in quite a bit. I see some 'yours truly' and some 'the little life of Em'. Did you change your channel name?

~Not channel related but I noticed in a few of your videos (going back at least 1 month) a *beep* every minute. You may want to check your smoke alarm or CO2 alarm battery. :cool:

Reactions: MattCommand1

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
First Tip:
Look at the camera lens, not the monitor. It looks like you're trying to avoid eye contact. I know it's unnatural to look at the lens because it looks like this cold, lifeless blackhole that's trying to eat the universe. However, it's one of those subtle body language things that, well, the whole time the viewer is asking, "Why is she looking over my shoulder?" You need to look at the viewer to "connect" with them. People subscribe because the feel some connection to you and what you're doing.

Second Tip:
There are two approaches to getting people to subscribe: and active and passive.

The active approach involves what most YouTube teachers advocate: the traditional call-to-action. The is an old school sales method that's been around since someone tried to sell sand to an Egyptian. Some people can do this naturally because it's a part of their personality. Those who aren't just come off as used car salesmen or fake Rolex peddlers. This approach often works well for extroverts and people persons.

The passive approach almost never asks for a subscription or thumb's up or go-buy-my-merch. This works best Introverted people, very personable people. This is my preferred method. My "call-to-action" is nothing more that a black screen at the end of each video with my Web site. It works. People subscribe and buy the stuff from my Web site. Sometimes I don't even do that. Rather I add, "Check out my shop: [my.web.link]," to the comments section as a pin. I also use the description to link best selling items in my Web shop.

Because I shoot in a documentary film-style, a traditional, active call-to-action would ruin in entire video. When is the last time you watched a film or T.V. show and they asked you to subscribe to their YouTube channel or Twitter or buy their merchandise? Yet, films make their money selling merchandise. It's passive. Think of the number of embedded marketing triggers, like a well-placed Walmart bag or Coke bottle. Companies pay tons of money for those spots. Why not do the same for your own products, brand?

Last edited:

FilipFIXtiger

Start with a Profile Pic!

OP
OP
Yours Truly

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You come across very well on camera. I would recommend getting a small tripod to make the videos more steady, and move the camera a little farther away - the top of your head is missing in quite a bit. I see some 'yours truly' and some 'the little life of Em'. Did you change your channel name?

~Not channel related but I noticed in a few of your videos (going back at least 1 month) a *beep* every minute. You may want to check your smoke alarm or CO2 alarm battery. :cool:
Thank you for the feedback! I'll definitely look into buying a tripod! Yes, after some other feedback I decided to change my name to something more personable: The Little Life of Em. I think I've finally got everything updated on the channel end, just haven't changed it here.

And lol yes, I don't know how to change the battery in it :D

OP
OP
Yours Truly

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
First Tip:
Look at the camera lens, not the monitor. It looks like you're trying to avoid eye contact. I know it's unnatural to look at the lens because it looks like this cold, lifeless blackhole that's trying to eat the universe. However, it's one of those subtle body language things that, well, the whole time the viewer is asking, "Why is she looking over my shoulder?" You need to look at the viewer to "connect" with them. People subscribe because the feel some connection to you and what you're doing.

Second Tip:
There are two approaches to getting people to subscribe: and active and passive.

The active approach involves what most YouTube teachers advocate: the traditional call-to-action. The is an old school sales methods that's been around since someone tried to sell sand to an Egyptian. Some people can do this naturally because it's a part of their personality. Those who aren't just come off a used car salesmen and fake Rolex peddlers. This approach often work well for extroverts and people persons.

The passive approach almost never asks for a subscription or thumb's up or go-buy-my-merch. Introverted people, very personable people. This is my preferred method. My "call-to-action" is nothing more that a black screen at the end of each video with my Web site. It works. People subscribe and buy the stuff from my Web site. Sometimes I don't even do that. Rather I add, "Check out my shop: [my.web.link]," to the comments section add a pin. I also use the description to link best selling items in my Web shop.

Because I shoot in a documentary film-style, a traditional, active all-to-action would ruin in entire video. When is the last time you watched a film or T.V. show and they asked you to subscribe to their YouTube channel or Twitter or buy their merchandise? Yet, films make their money selling merchandise. It's passive. Think of the number of embedded marketing triggers, like a well-placed Walmart bag or Coke bottle. Companies pay tons of money for those spots. Why not do the same for your own products, brand?
Wow, these are great tips!! I will definitely start working on all these things!

Reactions: Damon

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
First Tip:

Second Tip:

The active approach involves what most YouTube teachers advocate: the traditional call-to-action. The is an old school sales methods that's been around since someone tried to sell sand to an Egyptian. Some people can do this naturally because it's a part of their personality. Those who aren't just come off a used car salesmen and fake Rolex peddlers. This approach often work well for extroverts and people persons.

The passive approach almost never asks for a subscription or thumb's up or go-buy-my-merch. Introverted people, very personable people. This is my preferred method. My "call-to-action" is nothing more that a black screen at the end of each video with my Web site. It works. People subscribe and buy the stuff from my Web site. Sometimes I don't even do that. Rather I add, "Check out my shop: [my.web.link]," to the comments section add a pin. I also use the description to link best selling items in my Web shop.

Because I shoot in a documentary film-style, a traditional, active all-to-action would ruin in entire video. When is the last time you watched a film or T.V. show and they asked you to subscribe to their YouTube channel or Twitter or buy their merchandise? Yet, films make their money selling merchandise. It's passive. Think of the number of embedded marketing triggers, like a well-placed Walmart bag or Coke bottle. Companies pay tons of money for those spots. Why not do the same for your own products, brand?

Great post! Lots of food for thought here. I prefer the passive approach because it is easier. Some people pull off the active CTA better than others. I feel a built guilty using only the passive approach. But maybe I should. I am conflicted.

I have often thought about strategic placement messages in the background. In another post, @Stanley OrchardBuddy had some great, fun ideas to consider. Some Youtubers I respect suggest guiding them to the next video to watch and just be done with it. I may do this for a few videos and see how that feels to me.

It is true that whatever CTA is being used, it feels natural and suitable for the context it is in.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have often thought about strategic placement messages in the background.
I have my playstation tv behind me sometimes (been testing it out). I use Chromecast and send a picture album to the TV. There is my channel logo and a few choice pictures rotating through, just in the background of the vid. You just gave me an idea - I will design some pics to add my CTA, like 'subscribe', 'like', etc. Could be fun.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Remember that these are people... human beings who are watching your videos. Figure out what value you can provide them... give them a solid reason for them to need to come back.