• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Got Subscribers but Need Watch time

VU IQ

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi! I started my Channel in April 2020 but Due to my busy schedule I couldn't continue posting. So, I didn't post any video till December 18th, 2021 when I started taking the channel seriously once again.

In the meantime, One of my videos got many views due to the nature of the video. The video was about My university's assignments and The videos views skyrocket whenever a new semester starts. In December 2021, The Video got about 6k views (might not sound high but for me it's much more than expected.)

As a result, Channel now has about 920 Subscribers. But my main problem is the watch time. I have just crossed 1k Watch-time but as the watch-time is a moving window, I am worried that those watch-time hours are gonna get wasted. The videos get the average view duration of about 3 minutes and The average view percentage is about 35% (Which isn't much?).

Can you guys suggest me how do I get more watch-time? I create tutorials.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You have a foundation of annual watch time thanks to the work you have already done... now you just need to pump out the videos. It may take a couple months to create enough videos to get you to 4k but you are well on your way. As you've seen you only really need to make one or two more videos as successful as your channel-driver to pull it off, but a library of content will do it as well. Focus on making a lot of videos (maybe even make a few more on the same subject as your channel driver?) and focus on keeping people watching as long as possible. Maybe even do some livestreams. The key is to have a lot of videos and to keep people watching those videos.

Reactions: Damon

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You have a foundation of annual watch time thanks to the work you have already done... now you just need to pump out the videos. It may take a couple months to create enough videos to get you to 4k but you are well on your way. As you've seen you only really need to make one or two more videos as successful as your channel-driver to pull it off, but a library of content will do it as well. Focus on making a lot of videos (maybe even make a few more on the same subject as your channel driver?) and focus on keeping people watching as long as possible. Maybe even do some livestreams. The key is to have a lot of videos and to keep people watching those videos.

I've had this debate with a couple of beginner YouTubers and it continues to be an ongoing debate. Most people don't want to hear that you have to make a LOT of videos. They don't want to hear that you have to make 50-100 videos. They argue that quality matters. Of course, quality matters! However, a few videos are only a few videos.

They point to Youtubers who have "done it" with far fewer videos which is entirely valid. But the odds are against most people.

There are a lot of collateral benefits in producing a lot of videos. You get better at everything whether it be titles, descriptions, filming, speaking on camera, editing, thumbnails, etc. More importantly, you get a lot more data to see which videos do well and which ones don't.

And by having more videos, it gives potential viewers more entry points to find your channel, like what you do, and subscribe. And as you said, you never know what will become a channel driver. It can be the most unexpected videos that do it.