• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips What are pros and cons of YT hashtags?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Youtube hashtags flummox me. I use them because I assume that they are "signals" to YT to help my videos get discovered because of the search word/phrase. But also put my video on the radar for people seeking out other videos on a given hashtag.

Hashtags are a 2-way street. I read and heard arguments you SHOULDN'T use hashtags because you are helping other videos get views and leave your video.

The counter-argument is that a hashtag could be a way for other people to find my videos. I read that YT recommends up to 15 hashtags. As a practical matter, I use only 3 to 6 hashtags generally because I can only come up with so many relevant hashtags before it comes super obscure.

My thinking is that if you have a smaller channel you would want MORE access to other viewers who would not otherwise find you. Hashtags allow that and are highly recommended on Instagram and TikTok platforms.

However, is it really a bad thing to use hashtags within our videos? Yes, some people might leave because of the hashtag but even if they did, they cannot unsee my channel. But in my mind, using the hashtag opens up my video to all-new viewers. My current thinking is that it is all about the initial exposure and initial opportunity to earn a new viewer to both view your other videos and subscribe. Isn't that what getting large numbers of impressions all about? The opportunity to be seen and discovered?

In terms of YT, I try to be the "glass is half-full guy" vs. "glass is half-empty".

I am genuinely interested in hearing the pros and cons of using hashtags in our YT video descriptions. Or is the whole hashtag thing just a copycat feature from Instagram and TikTok?

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I am unsure how much YT even uses hashtags. I know people can search for a particular tag, so I use a couple to get listed with my city. I used to just use one, but recently started using a couple more. I will have to wait and see if it makes any noticeable difference.

I do not see how it would send people away, though. If they search for #iloilo (one of my tags) there would be a list of vids, hopefully they click on mine. If anything I would get more views. If I used no tags, and they search for a tag... my vids would not show up. They may not help, but I do not see how they could hurt.

I have never thought to search with a hashtag on YT, I just search for the words

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I don't have any pros or cons. I simply put #blackwarriorlures and #blackwarriorriver at the bottom of my description. This helps with local search.

I like that.

Do you think it matters whether the hashtag location matters whether it is near the top or the bottom of the description box? I used to put it on the bottom but then I would forget to add or update because I have a template I use for general contact info, disclaimers, etc.

The good thing about putting the hashtag on the bottom would certainly make it less inclined to be clicked on thus minimizing the chance someone would click away.

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I do not see how it would send people away, though. If they search for #iloilo (one of my tags) there would be a list of vids, hopefully they click on mine. If anything I would get more views. If I used no tags, and they search for a tag... my vids would not show up. They may not help, but I do not see how they could hurt.

I have never thought to search with a hashtag on YT, I just search for the words

I tend to agree with you but there are more experienced YTubers who make the case in the other direction to NOT use hashtags. I am seeking the counterargument just in case I am missing something in my mind.

I pay more attention to hashtags because they are huge and recommended on Instagram and TikTok. I have absolutely searched on hashtags in those platforms because that is an easy way to locate the content I want. On YT, I tend to do phrase searches with no hashtag.

There is some question how beneficial or how often they are used within YT. I am curious if it is used that much by viewers.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I just don't like them at all. They are an immediate exit from your video, I never see anyone click on them and when they do the odds that they find my channel area slim. And there is little visual appeal to having them in the title IMO.

Since I target a local tourism-based area I much prefer using the Location feature (though not always).

Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I just don't like them at all. They are an immediate exit from your video, I never see anyone click on them and when they do the odds that they find my channel area slim. And there is little visual appeal to having them in the title IMO.

Since I target a local tourism-based area I much prefer using the Location feature (though not always).

Did you know that the TB browser app recommends users put a hashtag into the title in the checklist? I almost always disregard that for the reason you brought up: It looks a little weird in the title where character space (first 53 characters) are so important. I generally don't even list hashtags in the top 3 lines in the description.

Anecdotally, I have no feel if it is a net benefit or not. Hence, the original post. The only reason why I ever became aware of hashtags at all was because of the TB browser app checklist! LOL! Had it not been for the TB browser app, I was generally oblivious to hashtags. But everytime I upload a new video, I am reminded of hashtags.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB