• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Please review my Guitar Channel

Theory Guitar

Guitarist and YouTube Enthusiast
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
First Impression:
Your channel looks just a little bland. The color choice in your banner and the thumbnails are designed well enough... but the color scheme doesn't grab me. I guess in general your graphical choices just don't grab me. This is a good thing; it's very easy to fix. It's decent enough that none of this has been hurting you, but going forward you can definitely gain more attention with more eye-popping artwork in both your banner and your thumbnails. Considering that you are a musician I would think you could find someone who would trade some artwork for some music that they cold use in their videos.

I also noticed that you have a shelf of Shorts videos at the top of your page... that's a mistake. You need to have that at the bottom and your most popular uploads or your most recent uploads at the very top. Shorts videos are great on the Shorts shelf when someone wants to just swipe through a thousand quick vids while waiting in line at McDonalds, but nobody goes into YouTube looking for a selection of Shorts videos to watch. You need your best content greeting anyone who drops by your channel.

Finally, there is one glaring problem with your channel; the amount of content you have available.
1640630036774.png

You only have 9 videos. Notice that when we look at your Videos tab YouTube doesn't even show the Shorts videos here. There's a reason for that! But yeah, nine videos just isn't enough. I know, you're new etc. Not a problem. But you do need to bury your head in the sand and get to work. When you have hit 100 videos then we can talk. By the time you will have a whole new perspective on thumbnails and audience retention and editing technique. Don't worry about subscribers; focus on making the best videos that you can and grow that library. The larger your library the more your videos will work with each other (especially if you are pinning comments, using cards/chapters and other Best Practices). The more this happens that more subscribers you'll gain.

Growth begets growth, and it is not linear. You have nearly 40 subs with about 10 videos... but that doesn't mean you'll have 400 subs at 100 videos. You should be far closer to 1,000 subs at 100 videos... and if someone stepped in here and had 10,000 subs at 100 videos it wouldn't surprise anyone. It all depends on that library. One of those videos can be a hit (you've already seen that with your 'Simple Trick to Mae Your Chord Progression EPIC' video. Learn from that success. Continue to reproduce the things that work. You are on the right track, you are doing it right. And the only thing that stands between you and any of these numbers is simply having a few more videos under your belt.

OP
OP
Theory Guitar

Theory Guitar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
First Impression:
Your channel looks just a little bland. The color choice in your banner and the thumbnails are designed well enough... but the color scheme doesn't grab me. I guess in general your graphical choices just don't grab me. This is a good thing; it's very easy to fix. It's decent enough that none of this has been hurting you, but going forward you can definitely gain more attention with more eye-popping artwork in both your banner and your thumbnails. Considering that you are a musician I would think you could find someone who would trade some artwork for some music that they cold use in their videos.

I also noticed that you have a shelf of Shorts videos at the top of your page... that's a mistake. You need to have that at the bottom and your most popular uploads or your most recent uploads at the very top. Shorts videos are great on the Shorts shelf when someone wants to just swipe through a thousand quick vids while waiting in line at McDonalds, but nobody goes into YouTube looking for a selection of Shorts videos to watch. You need your best content greeting anyone who drops by your channel.

Finally, there is one glaring problem with your channel; the amount of content you have available.
View attachment 11457
You only have 9 videos. Notice that when we look at your Videos tab YouTube doesn't even show the Shorts videos here. There's a reason for that! But yeah, nine videos just isn't enough. I know, you're new etc. Not a problem. But you do need to bury your head in the sand and get to work. When you have hit 100 videos then we can talk. By the time you will have a whole new perspective on thumbnails and audience retention and editing technique. Don't worry about subscribers; focus on making the best videos that you can and grow that library. The larger your library the more your videos will work with each other (especially if you are pinning comments, using cards/chapters and other Best Practices). The more this happens that more subscribers you'll gain.

Growth begets growth, and it is not linear. You have nearly 40 subs with about 10 videos... but that doesn't mean you'll have 400 subs at 100 videos. You should be far closer to 1,000 subs at 100 videos... and if someone stepped in here and had 10,000 subs at 100 videos it wouldn't surprise anyone. It all depends on that library. One of those videos can be a hit (you've already seen that with your 'Simple Trick to Mae Your Chord Progression EPIC' video. Learn from that success. Continue to reproduce the things that work. You are on the right track, you are doing it right. And the only thing that stands between you and any of these numbers is simply having a few more videos under your belt.
Thanks so much for the feedback. I totally get what you are saying. I am posting twice a week now and trying to build up my library. Thanks for pointing out about the shorts at the top I didn't even realize I could change the order but I just fixed it so now my most popular videos are at the top. Also I am just getting into thumbnail and banner art those will get better as I make more videos. Thanks so much!!

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Roil app

Let me just add that you need to always think about your lighting. I clicked on most of your videos and the lighting looked okay, but in the video, "Fender Mustang Micro Worth it?" your face is in very poor light. Make sure you always have your face well lit.

Reactions: Theory Guitar
OP
OP
Theory Guitar

Theory Guitar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Let me just add that you need to always think about your lighting. I clicked on most of your videos and the lighting looked okay, but in the video, "Fender Mustang Micro Worth it?" your face is in very poor light. Make sure you always have your face well lit.
Yeah I am working on that. I need to order up some better lights.

ScarTV

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Despite what Stanley said, I actually don't think your banner being more mono-toned is a bad thing. People don't see that until they click on your channel anyway. Your thumbnails could use some spicing up though.

Imagine you're scrolling through a wall of 100 videos. Do you think your thumbnails will pop out of the crowd? To be clear, I'm not saying they're bad but rather they can be improved. Highlighting key components of the thumbnails like yourself and a guitar help get that 3D sense which will catch someone's eye if done right. There's tutorials that can help you figure out the best way for this if needed.

As for your channel home layout, I'd place your Uploads shelf first then your Popular Uploads. I'm not sure if this has any large impact, but I think showing people coming to your channel your latest videos first is more beneficial than seeing ones already popular.

I also noticed you don't have any social medias or other links on your profile or in video descriptions. If you do have those, you should add them.

Overall you're on the right track. Just remember to stay consistent and make your videos as quality as possible. Hope this helps!

Side note: I noticed you have some time stamps in video descriptions. If you reverse those from how you have it set (First Scale 0:00) and put the time first (0:00 First Scale), it breaks your video up into chapters. I'm not sure how much of an effect this has, if any, but it's a nice touch.

OP
OP
Theory Guitar

Theory Guitar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Despite what Stanley said, I actually don't think your banner being more mono-toned is a bad thing. People don't see that until they click on your channel anyway. Your thumbnails could use some spicing up though.

Imagine you're scrolling through a wall of 100 videos. Do you think your thumbnails will pop out of the crowd? To be clear, I'm not saying they're bad but rather they can be improved. Highlighting key components of the thumbnails like yourself and a guitar help get that 3D sense which will catch someone's eye if done right. There's tutorials that can help you figure out the best way for this if needed.

As for your channel home layout, I'd place your Uploads shelf first then your Popular Uploads. I'm not sure if this has any large impact, but I think showing people coming to your channel your latest videos first is more beneficial than seeing ones already popular.

I also noticed you don't have any social medias or other links on your profile or in video descriptions. If you do have those, you should add them.

Overall you're on the right track. Just remember to stay consistent and make your videos as quality as possible. Hope this helps!

Side note: I noticed you have some time stamps in video descriptions. If you reverse those from how you have it set (First Scale 0:00) and put the time first (0:00 First Scale), it breaks your video up into chapters. I'm not sure how much of an effect this has, if any, but it's a nice touch.
Thanks so much for the feedback. Yeah I am working on improving my thumbnails.

Reactions: ScarTV

Badea Gabriel

In my opinion you have to make everything look a little happier. and you to be a little more relaxed. you have to do this for pleasure and for the audience to see this to induce the pleasure of learning to play the guitar.

Reactions: Theory Guitar
OP
OP
Theory Guitar

Theory Guitar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
In my opinion you have to make everything look a little happier. and you to be a little more relaxed. you have to do this for pleasure and for the audience to see this to induce the pleasure of learning to play the guitar.
Yeah totally, I am working on that my videos are still a little cringe.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@ScarTV makes a very good point... changing the time stamps so that you have chapters is a good practice. These chapters are individually searchable on Google... meaning that each is individually able to be found.

OP
OP
Theory Guitar

Theory Guitar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@ScarTV makes a very good point... changing the time stamps so that you have chapters is a good practice. These chapters are individually searchable on Google... meaning that each is individually able to be found.
Totally I wasn't sure how to do it before but now I know :)