• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Honest Discussion on Importance/Unimportance of Tags

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I just watched the most recent video by @Shelly Saves the Day who works for TB.

View: https://youtu.be/6EPxK47Izv8

This is one of the best videos I've seen on the issue of tags. I have my own views on tags and I was a bit nervous before watching her video. I was concerned that she might over-represent the importance of tags because of her role at TB.

For people who want granular understanding and finer distinctions of the importance of tags, she did an excellent job. It would be easy for someone to oversell the importance of tags especially if you work for a company espousing a product that puts a large emphasis on SEO for success.

But @Shelly Saves the Day did an excellent job presenting the finer points in an easy to understand manner. I watched and listened to that video in its ENTIRETY. I found it very compelling and very honest. She did not make tags to be the end all, be all. She explained that it sends "signals" to YT which is exactly my thinking. She also warned about tag spamming and about abusing it. Totally respect the fact that she brought it up at all.

Check it out if you want the proper perspective on tags.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
People get soooo acutely focused on the little things... they often miss the bigger picture. Sure, tags have value. Are tags going to make or break your video? No, probably not. Whoever thinks they are more important than the title or description... well that's kinda dumb. I'll add they do have extra value as having them allows us to see where we rank for them. Just another source of data. Not terribly important, but I like having that information.