• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Viewers First

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I only just figured this out last night, but this is why my channel is stuck. I am putting this out there for other people like me.

You need to focus on the viewer. If you are making content for your personal enjoyment, thats good and all. You should enjoy what you do and want to do it. However, if you are making videos because you want to make a video about that topic, it will not work. Many of my videos fail because I made them because I wanted to. I put no thought into my audience, and if it was something that they wanted to do. You need to think about what the audience likes. Study the videos that do well and make similar ones because thats what your audience likes. If they don't care about a topic, then don't keep pushing it at them, as it's futile and won't help. You need to think about it from their perspective and experience. What are they seeing?

I will be implementing these changes, and I invite you to do so too if you haven't already. Don't make the same mistakes that I did.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I only just figured this out last night, but this is why my channel is stuck. I am putting this out there for other people like me.

You need to focus on the viewer. If you are making content for your personal enjoyment, thats good and all. You should enjoy what you do and want to do it. However, if you are making videos because you want to make a video about that topic, it will not work. Many of my videos fail because I made them because I wanted to. I put no thought into my audience, and if it was something that they wanted to do. You need to think about what the audience likes. Study the videos that do well and make similar ones because thats what your audience likes. If they don't care about a topic, then don't keep pushing it at them, as it's futile and won't help. You need to think about it from their perspective and experience. What are they seeing?

Here is my take. The idea that "it's all about the viewer" is not a new idea nor is it an incorrect idea. HOWEVER, what the creator wants matter also. If the creator produces content and it becomes unfulfilling for them, the channel will eventually come to a halt. I believe that is why there is so much burnout.

Creators have to self-nourish where possible. Doing videos you enjoy with little regard to viewers is part of that creative self-nourishment. I have seen first hand the angst, turmoil, and trepidation of launching a YT channel. I went through some angst myself because I was unsure of my direction.

In my view, when you have ZERO videos on a channel you just launched, it is a somber feeling. I just launched my 2nd channel and it was a bit depressing to see ZERO videos and ZERO views. I have since posted 2 videos but I think to myself, is this even a good use of my time?

In other words, if my only currency for the 2nd channel is to get more views and subscribers, then I am not going to start it at all because my primary channel is picking up steam and I got past all the grueling start up stuff. I've watched a fair share of successful YTubers openly discuss their preference to occasionally create videos which are meaningful and fulfilling to them even if it means fewer views. I would argue that you gotta be selfish sometimes and produce what you like. Because if you don't, you might not last long enough to make anything bigger happen.

Having said all that, I've visited your channel. I think you are into Legos and Book Reviews. Both are big areas of interest. And if you want to tweak the direction of future videos to make it more viewer friendly with more mainstream appeal, go for it.

But I think it will be unfulfilling if you make exclusively "viewer-oriented" videos that strip away elements that got you onto YT to begin with. It is a bit of a balancing act.

Yes, I make occasionally make stinker videos that net few viewers. Or I make niche videos that have zero chance of getting widespread viewership. But for me, I am still in the game. I give myself permission to experiment and indulge myself. I want to keep my sense of optimism, wonder, and enjoy the journey. What is important to me is that I don't fall out or stop. Then, I am defeated. I have to continue to stay in the game and allow time and serendipity reward me.

Yes, it is oftentimes "all about the viewer". But what the creator want matters too. It keeps them in the game.

OP
OP
Super Cooper Hobbies

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Here is my take. The idea that "it's all about the viewer" is not a new idea nor is it an incorrect idea. HOWEVER, what the creator wants matter also. If the creator produces content and it becomes unfulfilling for them, the channel will eventually come to a halt. I believe that is why there is so much burnout.

Creators have to self-nourish where possible. Doing videos you enjoy with little regard to viewers is part of that creative self-nourishment. I have seen first hand the angst, turmoil, and trepidation of launching a YT channel. I went through some angst myself because I was unsure of my direction.

In my view, when you have ZERO videos on a channel you just launched, it is a somber feeling. I just launched my 2nd channel and it was a bit depressing to see ZERO videos and ZERO views. I have since posted 2 videos but I think to myself, is this even a good use of my time?

In other words, if my only currency for the 2nd channel is to get more views and subscribers, then I am not going to start it at all because my primary channel is picking up steam and I got past all the grueling start up stuff. I've watched a fair share of successful YTubers openly discuss their preference to occasionally create videos which are meaningful and fulfilling to them even if it means fewer views. I would argue that you gotta be selfish sometimes and produce what you like. Because if you don't, you might not last long enough to make anything bigger happen.

Having said all that, I've visited your channel. I think you are into Legos and Book Reviews. Both are big areas of interest. And if you want to tweak the direction of future videos to make it more viewer friendly with more mainstream appeal, go for it.

But I think it will be unfulfilling if you make exclusively "viewer-oriented" videos that strip away elements that got you onto YT to begin with. It is a bit of a balancing act.

Yes, I make occasionally make stinker videos that net few viewers. Or I make niche videos that have zero chance of getting widespread viewership. But for me, I am still in the game. I give myself permission to experiment and indulge myself. I want to keep my sense of optimism, wonder, and enjoy the journey. What is important to me is that I don't fall out or stop. Then, I am defeated. I have to continue to stay in the game and allow time and serendipity reward me.

Yes, it is oftentimes "all about the viewer". But what the creator want matters too. It keeps them in the game.
Thats a good point! I'm looking at what videos have done well that I can do more of. Not to just make what they want, but what do I enjoy that they also do?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Thats a good point! I'm looking at what videos have done well that I can do more of. Not to just make what they want, but what do I enjoy that they also do?

Definitely look at what videos seem to have interest but I am a big believer in experimenting and playing with different ideas. Expand your content buckets by adding a new interest or angle. Do some YT searches on some ideas you are considering. Some of my best-performing videos are putting my own twist on an already popular video done by someone else. I "improved" it by giving more structure, better narration, and a thumbnail that pops.

There are so many ways to go about looking for ideas and inspiration. I try to make it fun for myself which helps keep me going even when I have lower-performing videos.

OP
OP
Super Cooper Hobbies

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Definitely look at what videos seem to have interest but I am a big believer in experimenting and playing with different ideas. Expand your content buckets by adding a new interest or angle. Do some YT searches on some ideas you are considering. Some of my best-performing videos are putting my own twist on an already popular video done by someone else. I "improved" it by giving more structure, better narration, and a thumbnail that pops.

There are so many ways to go about looking for ideas and inspiration. I try to make it fun for myself which helps keep me going even when I have lower-performing videos.
All very good advice to consider. I do still want to have fun and I am, I'm just trying to actually get somewhere, as I'm noticing that I'm getting less views recently.

Amanda Summers

Known Member

I totally agree that you have to both make videos for viewers and that you enjoy. I've been so discouraged about the slow growth I've been trying everything to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I know Youtube is showing it to the wrong people, but I can't seem to find my tribe. But when I want to give up and say, 'just one more and then I'm done, ' I feel a little sadness in my heart and I know I can't quit. I really love making the videos. I'm retired and living in Nepal, so I just take the cameras and crew with me when we go out and then they edit them. I think after the pandemic is behind us we'll start growing. This forum is helping me because now I know I'm not alone. It's a lot harder than just taking a few selfies, uploading them and cashing the check.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That's not a mistake at all... it's a natural part of the learning process and you are ding it exactly right! Kudos and keep up the great work!