• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Creative Commons

Oliver & Liz

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I am not sure the best place to post this, so if there is a better suited forum, please advise.

I need some advise. I run a channel with my kids geared towards young kids, and I received an email from a preschool teacher in another country wanting to use my videos to help teach the students English. She wants to know how much I would like to receive so that she can have ΓÇ£the license to use [my] videosΓÇ¥ (IΓÇÖm assuming she means the Creative Commons license). IΓÇÖm not sure which videos she is interested in yet.
YouTube is not allowed in her country, so it is a reason she can not just watch the videos on YouTube.

My channel has 250ish subs and IΓÇÖve never received an email like this so I have some concerns.
1. The email has lots of contact details and seems legit, but how do I know for sure that it is?
2. Depending on which videos she is interested in, how do I figure out how much to charge for each of the licenses? Should I charge based off length of video, or off how popular a video is, or based off something totally different, or a combo of things?

Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before? If you have, what was the good, bad, and ugly? If you were to do it again, what would you change?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jimin

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That seems exceptionally shady to me. I wouldn't trust this offer myself. They can get a VPN and watch it on YouTube or maybe you can upload the same videos to a different platform that they have access to? I don't know though... this just smells reeeeeaaallly fishy to me.

FYI this wouldn't be a case for a Creative Commons license. In the event that it was legitimate you would want to look up an actual license agreement for them to use your content.

Reactions: Oliver & Liz

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
YouTube is not allowed in her country, so it is a reason she can not just watch the videos on YouTube.
It sounds shady to me. YouTube is such a public forum, who would even think of paying for the vids... My first thought is someone is phishing for your bank info.
If YT is not in her country - how does she know of your vids? If she used a VPN to find your vids, why not use the VPN to show the vids to the kids?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
My position and opinion is very clear. NO! Stop, Stay away from them. Do not agree to anything. It is not "shady" to me. It is screaming SCAM. Do not negotiate, do not ask questions, simply delete the email and do not respond at all.

You proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Don't do it. You'll get tons of e-mails like this. If she can't watch YouTube in her country, then how did she find out about your videos, especially a channel with just 250 subs? See the picture below. You're the fish. Everything they are doing is designed to catch and eat you.

vlcsnap-2021-11-06-02h07m46s194.png

• Love
Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Don't do it. You'll get tons of e-mails like this. If she can't watch YouTube in her country, then how did she find out about your videos, especially a channel with just 250 subs?

Damon is ABSOLUTELY right. It is a nonsensical "request" to begin with. SCAM is the word screaming at me.

Even my initial suggestion to "SAY NO THANK YOU" is actually bad advice because you are affirming the email. Just delete and move on.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Amanda Summers

Known Member
It sounds shady to me. YouTube is such a public forum, who would even think of paying for the vids... My first thought is someone is phishing for your bank info.
If YT is not in her country - how does she know of your vids? If she used a VPN to find your vids, why not use the VPN to show the vids to the kids?
I kept thinking 'what scam?' Then I saw your reply and I remembered chatting with an African person who asked me to help her cash a company check. I think it's absolutely like that. It's an old Nigerian scam. The check clears, but after you send the money it comes back as fraud. I think a person can get into trouble, or the money is just sucked back out of your account. I think the person should be reported to Youtube. The person probably sent this to a lot of people.