• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Kid content with quirky dialogue

Rate It Riley

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
User name: Rate It Riley
Title of thread: Kid content with quirky dialogue
Self review: I don't know if my 5 year old is too advanced for her age group ( I know typical mom talk) But maybe not enough bells and whistles or maybe its just cause its not getting enough exposure yet
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RateitRiley
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/38283/

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I would like to see a little more of a Self-Review in this case if you don't mind. A little more insight from your end can go a long way in helping us to provide you with our own insight.

Reactions: The Kitchen Gamer

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I would like to see a little more of a Self-Review in this case if you don't mind. A little more insight from your end can go a long way in helping us to provide you with our own insight.

Forgive the question, what do you mean "self-review"? We "review" ourselves? What would be a good example of that? I am having a tough time envisioning it.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Forgive the question, what do you mean "self-review"? We "review" ourselves? What would be a good example of that? I am having a tough time envisioning it.
When you ask for a review we ask that you also provide a review of yourself when doing so. Doing so gives reviewers insight into where you stand on your current understanding of your own content/channel and it helps to encourage those asking for a review to step our of their own head and start seeing their content through the eyes of their audience.

Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
Rate It Riley

Rate It Riley

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I feel like we have super good content , I found we were a little repetitive in the beginning but then changed it up a little . I haven’t seen many channels like this so either it’s because it’s not interesting enough or people don’t know how to react to it . I watch many kid content videos and I find that there is no substance now I can be wrong in thinking that our channel has but that’s why I’m asking for feedback . Hope that’s enough of a self review as it is hard to step out of the box and see what’s wrong … or good for that matter :)

thank you

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
The all important First Impression:

For starters I love the picture you have of Riley as your icon. It's bright, it's active and fun. Exactly what you want to express. When I first go to your channel I see a big, bright banner, but I would like to have seen a little more information about your channel there. Not a terrible decision, but I feel it is important to make things as easy for the viewer as possible and that means a captivating channel value-proposition right up front.

I do see some glaring issues on the channel though. I go to look for a video and am greeted with a recent example of your work as a channel intro. I like that. Until you are able to really put together a solid channel trailer it is a good practice to use your best performing video as an intro. Best foot forward! But I want to see more of your work so I scroll down. And the very first shelf of videos that I see are your Shorts videos. This is a very poor decision. You need to have a shelf of your absolute best work here. A viewer is only going to invest so much time in looking through your channel and you need to grab them immediately. These Shorts have no custom thumbnails, they haven't performed for you and they are taking up prime real estate.

The next shelf is your basic Uploads shelf and that is fine. It gives us look into what we are seeing from your channel most recently. But again, those thumbnails are poor. This is a kids channel... and there is no way those thumbnails are going to compete against the spastic, color-bomb thumbnails targeted at kids.
1640016320385.png

My wife and I watched several videos and your content is solid. Filmed well, edited very well and Riley has the personality to be a superstar. Great energy. I found it a little strange that you put a channel-intro at the end of a recent video, and I had some issues with your decisions in the 'I Quit' video. You knew exactly what you were doing; you were compelling viewers to click with the stark, black-and-white thumbnail and the dramatic 'I quit' title and text. But the first thing Riley says is 'Ok, I don't quit but...' and proceeds to ask for insight into the things that she should be making videos about. That is clickbait. It has a misleading intention and that compromises the trust your audience has in you.

Looking into the metadata for one of your videos I also found some missed opportunities. Obviously I highly encourage you to consider taking the time to complete your Best Practices. There is a reason this information is tracked by YouTube and it is worth taking the time to utilize these as a means of creating more views and garnering more exposure.

You have some good keyword phrases in the your tags, but there is a lot of space used for tags like 'fidget,' 'for kids' ad 'fun.' There is no way you are going to rank for these terms. You are telling YouTube that this video is about these things, YouTube is going to pit your video against others which currently rank for these terms and you are not going to be able to compete against them. This is effectively going to bury your video as a possibility for ranking. I suggest doing keyword research for the 'other' longtail keyword phrases that people search. Instead of 'fidget' focus your metadata and even the video itself on a hyper-focused subject like 'whats better than a fidget spinner,' 'best fidget toys 2022' etc.

Also, these tags are the least important part of your SEO. While you do have some decent keyword phrases in the tags you do not feature them in the first 200 characters of description of the video... which is the place YouTube actually looks when they are determining what your video is about. The description gives YouTube little to no information at all about what this video is about. What's worse is the title. YouTube treats the beginning of the title as a sort of Supertag. From YT's point of view your videos is about 'fidgit this,' 'rate my top fidgits,' this I rate my top...' you can see that this title can be a little confusing to YouTube. Also, is it compelling? What here is really creating a strong desire for a viewer to click as they scroll through their feed or search?
1640017542182.png

I would suggest picking your stronger series of hyper-focused keywords, making sure to have them in the first 200 characters of the descriptions and as the beginning of the title. Title your video: 'What's Better Than a Fidget Spinner? AMAZING Fidget Toys 2022' and if you really feel the need to have those hashtags do so at the end of the title. That is a stronger, more compelling use of the title's real estate.

Ok, I'm running out of my character limit here so I got to stop. Hope this provides some assistance and I look forward to seeing what others say!

Attachments

• 1640015849824.png
    1640015849824.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 72

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Holy cow! That review was for "Rate It Riley" but I think I may have to hijack some of these great insights and tweak my own channel a bit. I am going to have to mark this post to revisit.

What a free gift you gave RIR. But I think some of that gift splashed my direction! Never so happy to be splashed on! :)

• Love
Reactions: Rate It Riley

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Holy cow! That review was for "Rate It Riley" but I think I may have to hijack some of these great insights and tweak my own channel a bit. I am going to have to mark this post to revisit.

What a free gift you gave RIR. But I think some of that gift splashed my direction! Never so happy to be splashed on! :)
Dude that totally makes my day, thank you!

• Love
Reactions: Rate It Riley

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Dude that totally makes my day, thank you!

I call it as I see it. It is one reason why I hang out here. I never know what I might learn! I am a believer of serendipitous learning. I am a believer in learning by other people's cases and examples and apply them to my situation. I am always seeking finer distinctions. I am a sponge, I take it all in and process it. Sometimes it sticks, other times it gets tucked in the back of my brain.

When new people introduce themselves here, I tend to peek at the channel to soak it all in to expand my mind and realm of possibilities.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Rate It Riley

Rate It Riley

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
OMG ! That is so amazing I canΓÇÖt thank you enough for the amazing insight you have given me ! I will slowly take everything you have said and implement it within the channel this is so priceless and I donΓÇÖt know how to thank you ! Often times then not we canΓÇÖt step out of our own heads and asses the situation but you have done that and again I canΓÇÖt thank you enough ! So excited to go through the motions with this . Thank you !!!!

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I call it as I see it. It is one reason why I hang out here. I never know what I might learn! I am a believer of serendipitous learning. I am a believer in learning by other people's cases and examples and apply them to my situation. I am always seeking finer distinctions. I am a sponge, I take it all in and process it. Sometimes it sticks, other times it gets tucked in the back of my brain.

When new people introduce themselves here, I tend to peek at the channel to soak it all in to expand my mind and realm of possibilities.
That next-level sir... learning vicariously through others lol. I do a lot of that myself!

• Love
Reactions: MattCommand1

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
OMG ! That is so amazing I canΓÇÖt thank you enough for the amazing insight you have given me ! I will slowly take everything you have said and implement it within the channel this is so priceless and I donΓÇÖt know how to thank you ! Often times then not we canΓÇÖt step out of our own heads and asses the situation but you have done that and again I canΓÇÖt thank you enough ! So excited to go through the motions with this . Thank you !!!!
The pleasure is all mine! I look forward to seeing how you guys fair in the coming months!