• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Info Cards: Good or Bad?

Do you use the Info Card Feature?

• Total voters

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
TB recommends incorporating Info Cards into our videos as part of the checklist when setting up a new video. I have, on occasion, used an info card for experimental purposes but it seems to be a very awkward process to begin with. I largely ignore/disregard that part of the TB checklist.

However, in a recent video by Think Media, they are largely negative on the issue of Info Cards. The most compelling reason they offer is that Info Cards, when clicked, prematurely take the user OUT of the video they are watching. In other words, in our effort to "help" a viewer by providing additional links/playlist/resources, it seems we are sabotaging our own view times in a video.

So, I looked at a video that had an info card and watched it as a viewer, and while the tab with the initial video stays in place, another tab opens up with another set of content/video/playlist/etc.

Between the Think Media video assertion and my own small sample experience as a viewer, I am now inclined to NOT use Info Cards anymore. I feel like if I want to help my viewer by showing a website, playlist, or viewer, I will just tell the viewer to go to the description below. But I am not inclined to provide an Info card within the video anymore.

Having said all that, I invite a debate and discussion on the Info Card issue, especially from the more seasoned creators. What are the flaws in my thinking? Have I missed something?

I have some additional questions if you want to provide your thoughts.

1. Do you use the Info Card feature?
2. If so, what do you use it for?
3. Do you think the Info Card benefits the Creator at all? Or is it strictly a Viewer benefit?
4. Do you feel using an Info Card will take viewers OUT of the video they are watching?

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Danye

DebuJalanan

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I just start using the cards. Lol.
I put them at the end of my videos.
Off course, if my viewers don't watch the videos until the end, the won't see them. :laughing:

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I just start using the cards. Lol.
I put them at the end of my videos.
Off course, if my viewers don't watch the videos until the end, the won't see them. :laughing:

As a clarification, End Screen Cards are different from Info Cards. Did you mean you use Info Cards at the end and you don't use End Screen card?

As far as I know, Info Cards are NOT used at the end. Only End Screen cards are used at the end.

DebuJalanan

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
As a clarification, End Screen Cards are different from Info Cards. Did you mean you use Info Cards at the end and you don't use End Screen card?

As far as I know, Info Cards are NOT used at the end. Only End Screen cards are used at the end.
I use them both.

I use them both. I put the Info Card, 30 seconds before the video ended, while the End Screen Card takes the last 20 seconds of the video.
Maybe it's a wrong strategy. But I just have to try it.

Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I use them both.

I use them both. I put the Info Card, 30 seconds before the video ended, while the End Screen Card takes the last 20 seconds of the video.
Maybe it's a wrong strategy. But I just have to try it.

Thanks for clarifying and sharing. That is helpful to me.

Reactions: DebuJalanan

DebuJalanan

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've just found out that End Screen Card is not available for vertikal videos. So, I think Info Card is a nice backup option when End Screen Card is not available.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I am not sure what any research would show... but I hate all things pop-up. I had a browser addon that blocked annotations long before they were done away with. It also blocks the popup cards. I personally cannot stand them. I also do not think I have ever clicked on an end screen.

I did use end screens for a while, but my retention took a hit, and I had very few clicks. I quit using end screens and my retention improved. I have never used cards, but the idea of them clicking off my vid does not appeal to me.

Danye

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Glad you brought this topic up. As a new content creator, many of the suggestions I've followed from YT content Creator videos as well as this app/platform are working. But this feature has me on the fence for the reason you provided, it takes viewers from the current video to the suggested one. Now, I gather the theory is that the viewer will feel the vibration of their device and see the alert, have the restraint to continue to watch the current video, and then go back and check the suggestions from the cards. But many people have a short attention span as is. So, when the alert pops up it might be a jerk reaction to click it to make it go away, however opening up the option (And giving certain people options can be tricky) to leave the current video to go and watch the dangling carrot which is the new content.

So I've been playing around with placing the cards closer to the end of my videos. Like right before my end screens. The verdict is still out on whether or not it's working, because I just started doing this.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You have to utilize the 'view machine.' There is a reason everyone includes cards as part of your Best Practices. I would suggest however that you refrain from using them until the last 20%-25% of your video.

Remember that YouTube understands what is happening, and when one video creates multiples views they reward that. You don't want to lose retention by putting cards at the beginning of the video, but a video that turns the gears on multiple views will get recognized.

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You have to utilize the 'view machine.' There is a reason everyone includes cards as part of your Best Practices. I would suggest however that you refrain from using them until the last 20%-25% of your video.

Remember that YouTube understands what is happening, and when one video creates multiples views they reward that. You don't want to lose retention by putting cards at the beginning of the video, but a video that turns the gears on multiple views will get recognized.

These distinctions make more sense to me to place info cards towards the last 20% of the videos and to encourage multiple views. I can get onboard with that premise. I suppose that might mean encouraging or referring to our own playlists, for example.

There seems to be some consensus we don't want to do anything to encourage people leaving the video at the start or midway of any video.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You don't want viewers leaving your video... but the value of having a viewer watch multiple videos is highly underappreciated.

Reactions: MattCommand1