• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Resources How to Grow my Youtube Subscriber thanks

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
in that article you mention "Did you know Jimmy spends between 4-8 hours designing and testing multiple thumbnails before he ever publishes a video. Do you do that"

how can you do that test without a video?
Do a search for your video in YouTube before you ever publish it. Take a look at the videos which already rank for that search, then photoshop your thumbnail into the results of that search. It's an eye test but can be very telling. It will let you know how your thumbnail appears next to the competition.

An example of a really good result of this; I did a video about a fishing trip to Canyon Lake. I searched the lake before we filmed and it caught my attention that every single thumbnail was the exact same. Absolutely gorgeous green, clear water and a blue sky. Every. Single. Thumbnail. Green water, blue sky. They all looked the same. So I wore a red t-shirt to go fishing that day.

Today that video gets an absolutely pitiful 23% retention rate... one of the worst on my channel. But that thumbnail is a channel-driver; the CTR averages 25% and despite the terrible AVD it manages to top all the search ranks for the keyword terms I targeted. It is also the second most viewed video on my channel.

All of that because I had to foresight to review my competition before filming.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
@Stanley Orchard You are absolutely correct. No one told me to do it but I like to see what YT search results show. It is very insightful to see what type of thumbnails are out there. I am no graphic artist or designer and rely on Canva. But I can tell you I love to see "competitive" videos that have no meaningful thumbnails, just a random screen shot or those that are loaded up with tiny text! When I see these low-effort thumbnails, I see OPPORTUNITY to get myself a few views!

Anecdotally, I can support your assertions that I get some outsized numbers of views by some of my "off the path" videos. Even as we go into 2022, there are still so many opportunities to win over views by just paying attention to thumbnail work. Lots of older videos where the owners have not freshened up their own entries.

• Love
Reactions: Zanet and Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Stanley Orchard You are absolutely correct. No one told me to do it but I like to see what YT search results show. It is very insightful to see what type of thumbnails are out there. I am no graphic artist or designer and rely on Canva. But I can tell you I love to see "competitive" videos that have no meaningful thumbnails, just a random screen shot or those that are loaded up with tiny text! When I see these low-effort thumbnails, I see OPPORTUNITY to get myself a few views!

Anecdotally, I can support your assertions that I get some outsized numbers of views by some of my "off the path" videos. Even as we go into 2022, there are still so many opportunities to win over views by just paying attention to thumbnail work. Lots of older videos where the owners have not freshened up their own entries.
I could not have said this better myself!