• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Looking for input: Give me the down and dirty to get more views

Jon Chaffin

TubeBuddy Pro
User name: Jon Chaffin
Title of thread: Looking for input: Give me the down and dirty to get more views
Self review: I've had this channel for awhile, and just recently I got rid of a lot of videos that just didn't fit with what I'm wanting to achieve. That goal is to share tips, advice, and our travels working on the rails as a conductor and traveling/living full time in our RV. This channel is still in it's early stages so I think I'm on the right track. With that said I've noticed i'm only getting a few views a day so I'm curious as to why. So give me the dirty guys, I'm here to learn and grow
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RailsTailsandTrails
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/45832/

Xolaris

HEY JON!

To be honest, your channel is headed in the right direction now that you've begun uploading again. My first impression is that the thumbnails need work, you need to improve on your text placement and organization. A good rule to remember is "less is best", your most recent thumbnail is difficult to read (especially on mobile devices). The text colors need to contrast the background picture.

The "less is best" Rule should also be implemented to your Channel profile picture, its near impossible to read.

Also try experimenting with content, try making "youtube shorts", if your afraid that your subs won't like it, don't worry they don't get notified of youtube shorts so upload as many different ones and see if any blow up. Youtube shorts are only 15 seconds (for beginners) so try to hook in viewers. Last idea, up to you. Maybe change the channel name to get rid of commas. Maybe " Rails Tails & Trails " .

Essentially your actual content is good, but you need to make it more eye catching

• Love
Reactions: Jon Chaffin
OP
OP
Jon Chaffin

Jon Chaffin

TubeBuddy Pro
Hey bud. Thanks for the solid review. IΓÇÖm going to put that advice into play asap. Ty!

AntoinetteG

Hi Jon, here's my two cents:
I agree with Xolaris about the thumbnails--nice font but hard to read against all the colors. Also, why not show a photo of yourself in your thumbnail? Also, on your RV Winter Prep video it was over a minute before you got into the advice. Why not try deleting your opener music and shorten your intro on your next video and get right into your content. Hope this helps! You have a nice channel BTW!

Selinamiyaandki

Subscriber Goal
Hello,
I just watched you last video Rv winter prep, and I do agree with Antionette your intro is a little to long, I stay watching cause because I love these types of videos. Your thumbnails can use work.. hope this help

Roil app

Hi Jon,
I agree with others about the thumbnails. Let me specify a few things:
1) the images should be simpler, brighter and easier to see. For example, zoom in on the dogs and don't have all that background in the photo. It might even be useful to do things like photoshop just the background out of the picture so that the focus is just on the dogs.
2) Put yourself, well lit, and with an emotional expression, in thumbnails. These videos are mostly about watching you, so we should see you. We "connect" personally with a video when we see the creator, so look at the camera in the picture too. Don't use a picture of you driving and not looking at the camera. It is okay to take pictures specifically for the thumbnail, they don't have to be from the video itself.
3) As others said, I think less text, that contrasts with the background would be better.

Other things:
1) This seems like a very niche channel to me, but still I think it could potentially grow to a reasonable size. But I saw you had some more technical videos that you put up 5 years ago. Those seemed to have gotten quite a few views. Is it possible to make this channel a bit more instructional?
2) You seem to have the ability to be quite snarky and that can certainly draw some people in. Charisma attracts and you have that at times. But too often, I feel that you are not projecting much energy. You are probably tired from the long days, but it is much more watchable when you have energy. That energy doesn't have to be silly and happy, it can still be snarky with attitude, but just looking tired isn't fun to watch.
3) Your audio in most videos seems fine but I noticed in "Application and Hiring Process", it is very low. Just make sure your audio levels are set high enough. I wouldn't be able to hear this one if I had any background noise in the room, even if I had it set at max volume.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers

Known Member
Hi Jon,
I agree with others about the thumbnails. Let me specify a few things:
1) the images should be simpler, brighter and easier to see. For example, zoom in on the dogs and don't have all that background in the photo. It might even be useful to do things like photoshop just the background out of the picture so that the focus is just on the dogs.
2) Put yourself, well lit, and with an emotional expression, in thumbnails. These videos are mostly about watching you, so we should see you. We "connect" personally with a video when we see the creator, so look at the camera in the picture too. Don't use a picture of you driving and not looking at the camera. It is okay to take pictures specifically for the thumbnail, they don't have to be from the video itself.
3) As others said, I think less text, that contrasts with the background would be better.

Other things:
1) This seems like a very niche channel to me, but still I think it could potentially grow to a reasonable size. But I saw you had some more technical videos that you put up 5 years ago. Those seemed to have gotten quite a few views. Is it possible to make this channel a bit more instructional?
2) You seem to have the ability to be quite snarky and that can certainly draw some people in. Charisma attracts and you have that at times. But too often, I feel that you are not projecting much energy. You are probably tired from the long days, but it is much more watchable when you have energy. That energy doesn't have to be silly and happy, it can still be snarky with attitude, but just looking tired isn't fun to watch.
3) Your audio in most videos seems fine but I noticed in "Application and Hiring Process", it is very low. Just make sure your audio levels are set high enough. I wouldn't be able to hear this one if I had any background noise in the room, even if I had it set at max volume.

Best of luck!
Even though this post wasn't for me, I have to say thank you. It really was helpful. All I hear is 'make a good thumbnail.' But what does that mean? I look at the thumbnails in search and few really stand out from the others. Even the one on top isn't noticeably more noticeable. You gave some great tips. Maybe I can make something better than they have on search-I think it's possible.

Amanda Summers

Known Member
Although it's a genre that's not of my interest, it was so packed with information and enthusiasm I found something to learn. The trailer was nice and relaxing. I found myself enjoying the music as much as the video. It's interesting that your thumbnails are all exactly alike. I'm not sure if it's good or bad. On the one hand, your brand is easily seen. But on the other hand, it looks like I may have already seen it if I see it in the feed. You could also put a face in the thumbnail and do things like sit on the tracks, eat in the kitchen car, etc. You have good style for your videos. I like having the small pic in the corner. You have a small community, I think, but when they find you I think they will stay.