• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy Post videos and go viral!!!

Planet Quiz

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Do you think there is a special trick to upload 1 video and it becomes viral

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

If there was one trick, everyone would be doing it. You may want to study viral videos to see what makes them viral. Many are based on luck being at the right place at the right time. But some are well-planned and gimmicky also.

However, I am not a believer that producing viral videos is a good consistent long term strategy... FOR ME. For others, who knows?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I have the utmost respect for @Damon and @matt3006 but I do disagree with them on this subject. I believe there is a trick that can cause you to go viral with just a single video.

You have to make the perfect video.

I am talking Avengers: Endgame, The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars etc level of awesome. Each of these trilogies garners over 10 hours of watch time PER COMPLETE VIEWING. If you made something that amazing and posted it on YouTube it would totally blow everything else on the platform out of the water.

You don't have the resources to achieve a product like this... and that is the beauty of YouTube. You don't need to. But to my point; you do need to put out the absolute best video that you can. You need to be always improving. All metadata aside... all tricks and tactics and hacks and magic pills etc can all get thrown right out the window. Focus on making something that the viewer is going to enjoy watching. That is the magic trick you need to accomplish and when you do your video will perform as such.

• Love
Reactions: Planet Quiz

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
You have to make the perfect video.

I am talking Avengers: Endgame, The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars etc level of awesome. Each of these trilogies garners over 10 hours of watch time PER COMPLETE VIEWING. If you made something that amazing and posted it on YouTube it would totally blow everything else on the platform out of the water.

Well, the problem with that is look at the number of technically and artistically perfect films and T. V. shows that have come along over the decades but where absolute flops at the box office. That's with a army of film, TV crew members and a blank check. You're not guaranteed success just because you do something perfectly in this world.

Think of the Han Solo film. It was perfect. It flopped. Why? Audiences didn't want to watch two Star Wars films in one year. The T. V. Show Fire Fly. Same level of perfection both technically and artistically. It flopped. Why? No one really knows. The "old" cartoon Samurai Jack. Absolutely perfect. They did things is lighting and animation no one had done before. What happened. Cartoon Network canned in after four seasons and never let them finish the show.

However, you are correct, and I do agree that people should focus on making better videos. What you describe is a trade, not a trick. Learn the trade of motion picture. You will build an audience over time with well-made videos, but you may never go viral. Learn the trade. Forget the tricks.

Last edited:

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Hi @Stanley Orchard ,

Your statements have a lot more granularity and explanation than the initial simplistic query. In your answer, there is a lot of good points made.

I did qualify that I did not think that producing viral videos was a good consistent long term strategy... FOR ME. If I had to do that, I would get out of producing YT videos. I view YT as a slow, steady process to success vs. a bunch of "home runs" and "hole-in-one's" although I leave room for these incidents can happen.

Having said all that, just this morning I found this on CNN. There are people who do produce viral videos on a consistent basis. It does seem to corroborate what you said about being good at what you do. Clearly, I have a LOOONNNGG way to go in learning that artform.

Reactions: Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Well, the problem with that is look at the number of technically and artistically perfect films and T. V. shows that have come along over the decades but where absolute flops at the box office. That's with a army of film, TV crew members and a blank check. You're not guaranteed success just because you do something perfectly in this world.

Think of the Han Solo film. It was perfect. It flopped. Why? Audiences didn't want to watch two Star Wars films in one year. The T. V. Show Fire Fly. Same level of perfection both technically and artistically. It flopped. Why? No one really knows. The "old" cartoon Samurai Jack. Absolutely perfect. They did things is lighting and animation no one had done before. What happened. Cartoon Network canned in after four seasons and never let them finish the show.

However, you are correct, and I do agree that people should focus on making better videos. What you describe is a trade, not a trick. Learn the trade of motion picture. You will build an audience over time with well-made videos, but you may never go viral. Learn the trade. Forget the tricks.

Oh man... Damon you totally had me until you said the Solo film!

Honestly though you make an excellent point. Plenty of really great movies and television get cancelled because they didn't get the viewership they were expected to. I would still suspect that viewership would be different if presented on YouTube, but then I could not predict how different it would be.

Reactions: Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Hi @Stanley Orchard ,

Your statements have a lot more granularity and explanation than the initial simplistic query. In your answer, there is a lot of good points made.

I did qualify that I did not think that producing viral videos was a good consistent long term strategy... FOR ME. If I had to do that, I would get out of producing YT videos. I view YT as a slow, steady process to success vs. a bunch of "home runs" and "hole-in-one's" although I leave room for these incidents can happen.

Having said all that, just this morning I found this on CNN. There are people who do produce viral videos on a consistent basis. It does seem to corroborate what you said about being good at what you do. Clearly, I have a LOOONNNGG way to go in learning that artform.

Yeah I was doing a little bit of a 'Hot Take' approach. I stand by it, but Damon actually makes some pretty good points against my claim. I stand by it, but there are more variables than what I accounted for I think.