• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Create a video playlist or use YouTube playlist format?

DanielMyBrother99

Could someone who's not in the YT Partners program tell me if you've been able to post a video playlist, that is, a playlist that you made with a film-making app, without getting a copyright violation that blocks part or all of the playlist from being published? I don't have 1,000 subscribers/4,000 watch hours, so I don't have the protective shield of being in the YT Partners program. This isn't a problem if you stick to using the YT default playlist. But after a while, I determined I would move to the next level and make a video playlist, because the quality can be so much better. It took me a long time to learn Filmora and how to do some basic editing, but after some months, I finished my playlist. Just as I was about to publish it, a YouTube message appeared: "Playlist banned worldwide". Wait, WHAT!!! This must be some kind of error. No, No! NO!!! But it was all too true. The video I had worked on for months was blocked for copyright violations because I wasn't in the 1,000 subscribers/4,000 watch hour club. For a long time after that, I stuck to the generic YT playlist format, but last spring I decided to try another video playlist. This time, I got copyright violation notices for about a third of the songs and had to delete them, but the playlist was published (the early warning system alerting creators to strikes before they upload flagged a couple songs, but let the rest of the songs with violations sail through). Anyway, I'm debating whether to release a third video, or just make it a YT-hosted playlist. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences, and how you dealt with them. I don't see any way possible to create a good playlist that is entirely non-copyrighted songs. So I'm left with YT plain vanilla, or doing the video playlist I really want and risking it being chopped up or banned.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Ok, you need to read up on your rules before you go posting. Otherwise you are going to have a tall climb uphill figuring out this whole YouTube thing.

For starters, there is no veil of protection in the YPP. We have to follow the EXACT same copyright guidelines and TOS rules that everyone else does. There is ZERO change once you hit your 1k/4k.

Second, I have no idea what you are talking about with these different 'playlists.' Regardless of what you are referring to as a playlist, your problem has nothing to do with that. Your problem is that you are getting hit with either copyright strikes/claims or TOS issues. You are breaking rule(s) and that is why you are having these issues.

Simply put; you must follow the law regarding copyrighted content. You are not able to use someone else's work without their expressed, legal permission. That's music, other videos etc. And no, just because you saw someone else do it doesn't mean that you are being treated unfairly either; until you are not only familiar with the Fair Use Doctrine but are ready to use it in court you simply can not use other peoples content. YouTube creators get around this by using music from the YouTube Audio Library or one of the YouTube Audio Providers (like Epidemic or AudioHero, though these are paid-subscription services). If you need B-Roll video you can get that from the YouTube Creative Commons or if you want a higher quality product there are a number of B-Roll Video providers out there which sell packages of content as well.

It's a little hard to understand what is specifically happening to you, but from the sounds of it you may have some TOS issues or have at least been marked for limited ad use. I couldn't begin to say why, but I can suggest that you do need to give the YouTube Terms of Service a good read. Cursing, guns, drugs and a number of other things featured in your videos can and will have a negative impact on your video performance and your ability to monetize in the future... plus severe violations will cause issues like the once you mentioned.

Look, YouTube isn't easy. Like anything else in life there are rules you have to follow and many people feel like that takes the fun out of things. And maybe it does. But that fun takes money out of the pocket who worked just as hard as you did to create what you are trying to use for free. Consider yourself a creator like that person; remember that we are all in the same community and you need to be supportive of initiatives that help that person recoup payment for these services... because you may need that exact same support one day.

Reactions: DanielMyBrother99
OP
OP
D

DanielMyBrother99

Ok, you need to read up on your rules before you go posting. Otherwise you are going to have a tall climb uphill figuring out this whole YouTube thing.

For starters, there is no veil of protection in the YPP. We have to follow the EXACT same copyright guidelines and TOS rules that everyone else does. There is ZERO change once you hit your 1k/4k.

Second, I have no idea what you are talking about with these different 'playlists.' Regardless of what you are referring to as a playlist, your problem has nothing to do with that. Your problem is that you are getting hit with either copyright strikes/claims or TOS issues. You are breaking rule(s) and that is why you are having these issues.

Simply put; you must follow the law regarding copyrighted content. You are not able to use someone else's work without their expressed, legal permission. That's music, other videos etc. And no, just because you saw someone else do it doesn't mean that you are being treated unfairly either; until you are not only familiar with the Fair Use Doctrine but are ready to use it in court you simply can not use other peoples content. YouTube creators get around this by using music from the YouTube Audio Library or one of the YouTube Audio Providers (like Epidemic or AudioHero, though these are paid-subscription services). If you need B-Roll video you can get that from the YouTube Creative Commons or if you want a higher quality product there are a number of B-Roll Video providers out there which sell packages of content as well.

It's a little hard to understand what is specifically happening to you, but from the sounds of it you may have some TOS issues or have at least been marked for limited ad use. I couldn't begin to say why, but I can suggest that you do need to give the YouTube Terms of Service a good read. Cursing, guns, drugs and a number of other things featured in your videos can and will have a negative impact on your video performance and your ability to monetize in the future... plus severe violations will cause issues like the once you mentioned.

Look, YouTube isn't easy. Like anything else in life there are rules you have to follow and many people feel like that takes the fun out of things. And maybe it does. But that fun takes money out of the pocket who worked just as hard as you did to create what you are trying to use for free. Consider yourself a creator like that person; remember that we are all in the same community and you need to be supportive of initiatives that help that person recoup payment for these services... because you may need that exact same support one day.

OP
OP
D

DanielMyBrother99

Thanks for your detailed reply, Stanley. I do realize using someone else's copyrighted work exposes me to a content claim or having songs or even a playlist blocked. I'm pretty sure my content isn't the issue -- I do lo-fi and chill/downtempo playlists. So, guess my more focused question for people here would be: Do most people use services like Epidemic or AudioHero for your YT playlists? Are they any good? Or do you just lift songs from YouTube and take the chance of getting a copyright claim?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Something to consider; if you are making this music you may require the rights to the sounds that you are using in your music. If you use an unlicensed version of FL Studio or something similar they own the rights to the drums sounds, guitar etc and you will not have the rights to those sounds. You can get a copyright claim/strike from that.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
If you want to make a music playlist, you need to find the music videos on YouTube and add them to a YT playlist you create. You can share other people's music videos in a playlist - you cannot post other people's music in your own video (without permission).

OP
OP
D

DanielMyBrother99

Something to consider; if you are making this music you may require the rights to the sounds that you are using in your music. If you use an unlicensed version of FL Studio or something similar they own the rights to the drums sounds, guitar etc and you will not have the rights to those sounds. You can get a copyright claim/strike from that.

OP
OP
D

DanielMyBrother99

Thanks for the clarifica

OP
OP
D

DanielMyBrother99

Hey Stanley, thanks for that additional information. I had heard about copyrights for individual sounds. I would try to avoid going there if possible but you probably don't know until you get dinged.

So, Tito Tim (his post is just below), clarified what I was trying to say (and not very clearly, evidently): "You can share other people's music videos in a [YouTube] playlist - you cannot post other people's music on your own video" without permission. That latter type is the "other kind" of playlist I was referring to -- creating a custom video playlist that you upload to YouTube. I don't understand how people do that without getting a copyright claim at some point. It seems implausible that all the people uploading video playlists to YT own that music or obtained it from a paid service. I'm asking because the video playlists in general look and sound better and you have more options. I'd like to do the same -- without breaking any rules.
Daniel

Last edited:

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have seen a lot of music posted by other people. Some post multi-hour videos with tons of music. I would guess that they do not have permission for each and every song. Maybe they are just tagged for a revenue share claim, not a copyright strike? Who knows... but even if they are getting away with it - it does not make it right. I would not risk my channel to try it.

OP
OP
D

DanielMyBrother99

Thanks for that further observation, Tito Tim. I watched a really informative YT video about permissions and the YPP program, and the presenter stressed that YouTube wants fresh, original content and rewards that, and it does not like reposted/recycled sound and images and penalizes that. So that's something to keep in mind going forward. It's a learning process.